Intel or AMD Processor

Originally Posted by jayjr1105

It's funny you say this as right now Intel CPU's run hotter than balls

None of my Intel processors run hot.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Check outside the box with a used maybe 2014-5 Macbook Pro with i7 processor. and ssd. Two days ago I bought one for a family member as a gift and they wanted Apple. So I got q 1500-2000 machine for $450 plus tax. i7 4th gen 16 ram and 256 ssd and latest OS Catalina installed, and very clean. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

The problem with this approach is that in a year or two, Apple deems your machine obsolete for no good reason and you no longer get OS updates. I have a perfectly good working iMac 2012 with an i5 8GB of RAM and a SSD. It is still a fast PC by today's standards but It's 3 operating systems out of date and won't go beyond Sierra. F Apple.

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro that still gets updates. A late 2012 iMac can get Catalina according to their site. There is a way to update older macs to Catalina.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Check outside the box with a used maybe 2014-5 Macbook Pro with i7 processor. and ssd. Two days ago I bought one for a family member as a gift and they wanted Apple. So I got q 1500-2000 machine for $450 plus tax. i7 4th gen 16 ram and 256 ssd and latest OS Catalina installed, and very clean. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

The problem with this approach is that in a year or two, Apple deems your machine obsolete for no good reason and you no longer get OS updates. I have a perfectly good working iMac 2012 with an i5 8GB of RAM and a SSD. It is still a fast PC by today's standards but It's 3 operating systems out of date and won't go beyond Sierra. F Apple.

Like I said the one coming tomorrow is a mid 2014 MacBook Pro already updated to Catalina which is the latest. They reach back to 2012 on MacBook Pro. The op asked about intel vs amd not apple vs whatever. I just made a suggestion because I just got an Apple for someone who wanted Apple only.
The op got a nice deal on the one he wanted and I think got the right processor going with Intel 10th gen.

Originally Posted by Cujet

It's funny you say this as right now Intel CPU's run hotter than balls

None of my Intel processors run hot.

It's relative. Intel has been struggling so much with 10nm that they've been stuck on 14nm for years and since it's a monolithic die and combine that with high frequency and high core counts and you have big time power consumption/heat.

Look at this chart. Yes that is a 16 core AMD processor using 67 less watts less than the Intel 8 core processor.
[Linked Image]

Yes that is a 16 core AMD processor using 67 less watts less than the Intel 8 core processor.

I believe the wattage numbers after my recent inadequate 750 watt power supply fiasco.

However, the i9 9900KF mama is 4K gaming with right now is running 43c on air cooling. The hottest we've been able to get it is 50c. The cooler remains cool to the touch. Same goes for my i7 2700K and my laptop. None run hot.

These things are somewhat cyclical.

In the late 90s/early 2000s, the Athlon series were knocking the pants off the Pentium II/III and the like. I use Pentium 4s daily for a lot of legacy applications(newest hardware with some legacy compatiblity that I need) but they were kind of a symptom of everything that was wrong-the advertised stupid high clock speeds that were more advertising fluff than anything and ran HOT. The CPUs were so deeply pipelined that in the real world, they needed those stupid high clock speeds to get anything resembling decent performance.

The Core series changed things, and has evolved into a fast and efficient CPU.

With that said, to me for the last ~5 years or so, Intel has somewhat stagnated, while AMD has really been making some great strides both in terms of pure performance, temperature management, and efficiency. In my mind, Intel still has a small heat and energy efficiency lead for laptops, and if I were shopping for a laptop I'd have a hard time being swayed from an i7 or i9.

I'm a Mac guy, which means everything I have is Intel. With that said, if I were building a new desktop, a Ryzen would be some very, very serious consideration from me. The first generation ones beat the comparable Intels in pretty much every benchmark. Intel has stepped up their game, but to me they're still somewhat behind the top end Ryzens where all out performance is concerned.

I have been using AMD Chipsets for over 20 years with excellent results. That being said I have a Lenovo laptop with an Intel chip and its an excellent piece of equipment. All my desktops are AMD. My latest is the Ryzen Chip.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
...specifically talking about SFF systems here where maintaining minimum fan noise is usually the goal.

Yessir, you know your trade!

And, as another orator summarised above: these things are cyclical

I'm going to be in the market for a new laptop soon. Plan to go with AMD but I'm going to wait till the new Ryzen 4000 series chips come out. Curious to see how they perform compared to Intel's 10th gen processors.

AMD Vegas 8 graphics is A LOT faster than the Intel UHD graphics. Ryzen with Vegas 8 is a much better low end design than i5 with UHD. All things equal I'd buy the AMD. I don't think cooling would be a huge issue for either laptop, but battery life might be different and you should check that if it matters to you.

I'm sure if you are looking for a dedicated graphics (i.e. Dell Precision from my work or other laptop with nVidia or ATI / AMD graphics) it would be much better still, but not at your price point.

What are you planning to do with your laptop? Casual game? Office and web browsing?

Originally Posted by PandaBear
AMD Vegas 8 graphics is A LOT faster than the Intel UHD graphics. Ryzen with Vegas 8 is a much better low end design than i5 with UHD. All things equal I'd buy the AMD. I don't think cooling would be a huge issue for either laptop, but battery life might be different and you should check that if it matters to you.

I'm sure if you are looking for a dedicated graphics (i.e. Dell Precision from my work or other laptop with nVidia or ATI / AMD graphics) it would be much better still, but not at your price point.

What are you planning to do with your laptop? Casual game? Office and web browsing?

I'm not a gamer, but if I was I'd get a crazy desktop with a big monitor for that. This laptop will be used mainly for for Office applications and surfing, maybe watch YouTube or stream movies if on the road.

I went with the Intel version and used the $50 difference from the AMD version to bump up to a 512GB SSD instead of the 256GB SSD. Not sure about the AMD version on RAM expansion, but the Intel version has an empty memory slot so I can add 4 or 8 GB more of RAM if desired. Probably the same deal for the AMD machine. If the Intel version runs a bit cooler and has a quieter fan, and eats less battery power then that's a plus too, but I wouldn't know that unless I had both side by side to compare.

I think I'll be happy with what I got for $528. The exact Dell I got was $110 more on Best Buy, but that one had a 256GB SSD.

You did fine with that laptop. If AMD had their 7nm laptop chips out, then the decision would have been harder.

I realize AMD make some processors that are faster, more powerful than Intel.
But, My newest PC, a 2021 HP, 17 inch screen, has the Intel® Core™ i7-1195G7 Processor
and it is plenty powerful for anything and everything I need a laptop/PC for.
16 gig ram and a 1 terabyte SSD hard drive. It works great for me.

Yeah, well my I7-3000 is plenty fast, too 😀

Im most likely going to buy AMD when I build a new computer

New 14th gen reports coming out that it will be roughly ~50% faster than the 13th gen. If true, holy cow.

The 14th-generation processor is expected to deliver up to 50% better performance-per-watt at the same specs, thanks to its innovative architecture which combines multiple chiplets using Intel's stacking/packaging technique. Meteor Lake promises to offer significant upgrades in performance and efficiency compared to its predecessor, Raptor Lake. The tiled-GPU architecture and Xe GPU cores are expected to improve GPU performance. The processor consists of four main tiles, including the IO Tile, the SOC Tile, GFX Tile, and the Compute Tile, with the Compute Tile combining the CPU Tile and GFX Tile.

Back