K24 Kreen Update

mjk

Here is my original thread:
Initial Kreen thread

Wanted to give some updates since then. As noted, my initial run of 1/2 quart didn't make much of a dent in the oil burning (still roughly 2k/qt). I've gone in a couple of directions, so this isn't something you can draw specific conclusions from.

At the end of the 1st run of Kreen, I ran a half can of B12 through it (cold start, 8 min), then drained it. The oil was certainly very dark at that time. This present oil change, I changed my oil from a semi syn (Shell) to T6 5/40, which I had left over from a sale. In went the last half-quart of Kreen.

Yesterday was the day I hit 1850 miles, so I wanted to check the level (using the same method of checking each time, sitting overnight in same place). To my great surprise, I am 1/8" of an inch from where I started 1850 miles ago.

You can draw your own conclusions, but something appears to be working.

Attributable to your oil grade change from 5W-30 to 5W-40. Had this happen in my Yamaha Rhino 660...burned 5W-30, but uses none on 5W-40.

In the end I - guess it doesn't really matter if the main symptom is gone.

Originally Posted by JC1
Is there Kreen in the sump now, or just 100% oil? It appears that you are on the right track.

As I understand it, Kreen burns off in roughly 1k miles.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Attributable to your oil grade change from 5W-30 to 5W-40. Had this happen in my Yamaha Rhino 660...burned 5W-30, but uses none on 5W-40.

In the end I - guess it doesn't really matter if the main symptom is gone.

I am certainly not ready to say the step up to 5/40 had this great of an effect. I would be a quart down at this point in time, using 5.30. I'd like to hear some of the elder statesmen here chime in. Comparing your Rhino to a car might be a stretch.

But again, this is something for the people like Trav, Dnewton, etc. to chime in on.

Last edited:
Have a question, following up on this Kreen update.

My initial approach, at this upcoming change, was to switch over to Maxlife for 2 intervals. Have the oil in hand.

As I was driving around today, some thoughts crossed my mind. Perhaps, I should go for 1 more interval of a GOOD synthetic cleaning oil. Some thoughts entered my mind, and are not limited to these products (I was in Fleet Farm browsing):

1. Another round of T6. 2. Mobil ESP 3. Mobil TDT 4. Mobil 10/30 High Mileage (I thought I heard this was an excellent cleaner)

Not impressed with Platinum. Would be interested in hearing the best that Castrol offers (FF no longer carries them)..

So, as you can see, I am WIDE open to suggestions. Price really isn't an issue for 1 change -- unless you get into those Boutique oils. So what suggestions do you have.

As always, appreciate the discussion.

Maybe some Valvoline Synpower Maxlife or whatever it's called nowadays in 5w or 10w30. My uneducated thought. Keep us posted friend
thumbsup2.gif

I would say try m1 5w30 high mileage too cleaning m1 has esters in there oil to cleaning it.

I'd like to give a quick update.

2 Kreen treatments with 2 runs of Rotella 5/40.

Old consumption - 1 qt per 1800-2000 miles.

As of this morning, I am at 3400 miles, and will be adding a quart.

Was nice to see some success. After this run is finished, it is going on Maxlife 5/30 semi syn, for the rest of the time I own it

Originally Posted by mjk
I'd like to give a quick update.

2 Kreen treatments with 2 runs of Rotella 5/40.

Old consumption - 1 qt per 1800-2000 miles.

As of this morning, I am at 3400 miles, and will be adding a quart.

Was nice to see some success. After this run is finished, it is going on Maxlife 5/30 semi syn, for the rest of the time I own it

thumbsup2.gif

Back