Brake fluid flush order on a Subaru Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always done it this way: rear RH > rear LH > front RH > front LH.

However, the service manual states: front RH > front LH > rear LH > rear RH

Is there any harm in doing it the old-school way of starting with the bleeder farthest from the master cylinder and working my way to the bleeder closest to the master cylinder?

I posted the question in the Crosstrek forum but didn't get solid confirmation.

Thanks!

Follow the service manual

Actually bleeding the brake, no matter the order, is LOADS better than not doing it at all.

I've heard of this but never read anything like "I did it the old school way and now my brakes are [censored]". I think it is one of those small optimizations that don't really matter, but is the most effective way of doing it.

I'm not a pro mechanic or anything like that, but I have researched the topic in the past.

Do it the way the manual says. They didn't just dream up that order.....
wink.gif
The old way people know by heart is from pre-ABS days. Will it hurt ? Probably not. Will it work faster the way Subaru says ? Maybe

I would follow the book, really what difference would it make. I can only imagine that the book order is to make sure you have purged all air from the system but since you have no air and are just pushing new fluid through it PROBABLY would not hurt going old school but why take the chance.

In all seriousness, is there a reason you don't want to do it the way Subaru says ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
In all seriousness, is there a reason you don't want to do it the way Subaru says ?

I learned to do it one way and have always done it that way, and now Subaru throws a curveball at me. Just trying to learn a little and pick y'all's brain on this one.

Subaru did the first flush on the wife's crosstrek , and brakes have been spongy with low pedal since.
Likely their tech does whatever he wants..
There is a ABS purge procedure in the middle of the bleed regimen IIRC also

Many videos on youtube.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Subaru did the first flush on the wife's crosstrek , and brakes have been spongy with low pedal since.
Likely their tech does whatever he wants..
There is a ABS purge procedure in the middle of the bleed regimen IIRC also

Many videos on youtube.

When asked what their EXTREMELY modestly-prices brake fluid change included, my local dealer said that it involves replacing the fluid in the reservoir only. When I asked him whether the service includes any actual bleeding from the calipers, he confirmed that it does not.

I can see some numbskull at the dealer sucking every last bit out of the reservoir and then glug-glugging the new stuff in, resulting in air bubbles right at the MC. Maybe this is what happened to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back