Mobil Super Synthetic Replaced by Mobil Full Synthetic at Dollar General

I think the new product is the old product rebranded.

20200228_110953.jpg

Wow that's sure an upgrade from the non-detergent dino "API SA" oils that we used to see showing up a lot in the 'dollar' stores when BiTOG just started.

Kind of pricey though.

Saw that here in NC Autozones. AZ has older Mobil Super on clearance and they were stocking this product.

Dollar General is NOT a "dollar store". In fact they get regularly criticized for their pricing. They have a knack for building stores in underserved areas that have few other options.

Originally Posted by Boomer
What guarantee is there that it is even a Mobil product?

Same guarantee as you have when you purchase at Walmart or any discount store. Dollar General's and Mobil's integrity. Dollar General is a large enough corporation that Mobil wouldn't allow counterfeits without initiating a lawsuit against the counterfeiter and distributor.

I think the new label is deliberately cheesy and generic looking, on purpose, so they don't steal sales from Mobil 1.

We have Family Dollar here, but I never go in. Worse deals than Walmart, and less selection, meaning less of a guarantee I can go in and find what I need.

As someone else said, it's for poor people without cars, in terrible towns.

Originally Posted by Red91
I like the new label, but where's the dexos approval that super synthetic carried?

I noticed that too. Maybe not enough Group 3, or too much Calcium, to meet the Dexos spec?

Or maybe Mobil said they ain't paying SOPUS any money to get the cert on the front label anymore.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
This isn't a lot better than a typical dollar store ripoff-with no Dexos 1 Gen 2 approval, this oil really isn't worth anywhere near what they're asking for it.

I agree. I used to get a quart of the MSS on Saturdays when I had a $5 coupon of of $25 purchase. It's not worth it now without the dexos rating. I still have several left and then will likely switch to Supertech.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I think the new label is deliberately cheesy and generic looking, on purpose, so they don't steal sales from Mobil 1.

We have Family Dollar here, but I never go in. Worse deals than Walmart, and less selection, meaning less of a guarantee I can go in and find what I need.

Judging people based on where they choose to shop and assuming they cannot afford a car because they shop at a Family Dollar. Wow... Family Dollar stores are perfectly fine stores who stock quality products found it nearly any supermarket. So there oil prices won't beat Walmart or a SOPUS rebate. Big deal...their average customer probably isn't stockpiling engine oil and hunting down engine oil clearance sales all over town.

Originally Posted by Mike L. V.

Judging people based on where they choose to shop and assuming they cannot afford a car because they shop at a Family Dollar. Wow... Family Dollar stores are perfectly fine stores who stock quality products found it nearly any supermarket. So there oil prices won't beat Walmart or a SOPUS rebate. Big deal...their average customer probably isn't stockpiling engine oil and hunting down engine oil clearance sales all over town.

Many people dont agree with you including the town of Akron,Ohio and Cleveland Ohio

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...rmits-to-open-dollar-stores-in-cleveland

showed News 5 Cleveland police records indicating one of the Family Dollar stores in his ward generated 107 police calls for service over the past two years.

Discount stores carry a variety of consumer goods, including household items, health products, food and beverages.

The legislation details that the strategy of Dollar Tree, Family Dollar and other discount stores is to saturate communities with multiple stores, making it nearly impossible for local full-service grocery stores to stay open and flourish.

Generally, dollar stores are known to have small selections of fresh food and carry mostly processed foods at inflated prices, the legislation notes.

Also, the legislation states that discount stores employ fewer employees at lower wages than grocery stores and often face class-action lawsuits for violating fair labor standards.

This article from feb,2020
https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/...to-reject-latest-discount-store-proposal

Citing a new local law that prevents discount stores from flooding Akron neighborhoods, council rejected another Dollar General on Monday.

siblings Velvet and Clark Grable filed an application in December to build the 9,100 square foot store on North Case Avenue directly across from Bank Street. The $850,000 development on land that hasn't been used for decades would have been the 33rd discount store in Akron. By comparison, Cleveland — a city with nearly twice as many residents — has 37.

The proposed location was 1,400 feet from an existing Family Dollar on Arlington Street near Dave's Market. A law passed in the fall prohibits new dollar stores within 2,500 feet of existing ones.

Councilwoman Sharon Connor, who represents ward 10 where the store would have been built, said many of her residents, like her, opposed the development. Existing stores attract litter and compete with grocery stores, they said.

Samples said the city had no qualms about approving seven dollar stores on Vernon Odom Boulevard and Copley Road in recent years, despite local leaders in these minority neighborhoods raising concerns about the establishments later applying for liquor licenses and not selling fresh produce.

Originally Posted by eljefino

While there are Dollar Generals and Family Dollars in towns, most of them in my area are in rural settings. I live 20 miles from three different Walmarts and about 5 miles from a very clean and well stocked DG with competitive prices on most items. It's quick and easy. I do go to Walmart sometimes just to see the Rockefellers and the Kennedys out shopping.

You realize who runs those inner cities right ??

Yeah... Between them world champions and others in outside sectors and others farther up the chain.... Is exactly what the results you get. .

Back