More junk in the bottom of PP jugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the 3rd time or so I've seen a review of PP complaining of crap in the bottom of the jug. Not trying to bash PP here as I actually have it in both vehicles right now but what the heck...
[Linked Image]

Given how well anything from Amazon gets shaken on the way from the warehouse to your house there should not be anything collected at the bottom.

IMO.
If the some of the additives are no longer in the oil, then it may no longer meet spec. I shake/invert an oil jug before pouring the oil in.

The sediment may simply be more visible due to its dark color on the bottom of light colored bottle, rather than black or dark colored bottle where it's almost impossible to see.
Just shake it up and use the oil.

A few years ago, I did a drain, filter replace and a refill of oil on my '71 Cougar with a C6 tranny. It takes type "F" oil and I started the refill with Super Tech oil. Halfway through refilling, I switched over to Pennzoil type "F" and after I added the first quart of oil, I noticed all the sediment at the bottom. Didn't bother me a bit, especially knowing this oil had probably sat on the shelf for a few years. I added oil back to the Penzoil bottles, shook it up and added it. It was foamy, but most of the sediment had broke up and didn't bother me knowing the sediment would get fully broke up getting battered around inside the transmission. I added some of the Penzoil back into the Super Tech oil and shook those bottles around also. There was some sediment in those containers also, it was just harder to see because the jugs were blue.
I now shake engine oil containers before pouring them in. Nothing to worry about.

Try putting the jug in boiling water for a while.

See if this "fallout" re liquidates? Sort of like how honey will crystalize, just heat the bottle up and the honey will recover.

IMO, if not, then the oil filter will catch it.

I shake it and pour it in. I've seen it from time to time in every brand of oil I've used over the years.

Regardless of how hard i've shaken PP both in qt and jugs, the sediment would still stay on the bottom. None of the shell RTG, Castrol or mobil i have in the stash has this residue sitting on the bottom

I began monitoring BITOG about 5 years ago and PP was all the rage so I tried it for several oil changes. In all (4) 5 gallon containers that I purchased there was the sediment that the OP has shown here. Went back to my beloved Valvoline and never has there been anything but clean oil as it has been in the 40+ years I've used this oil. Many satisfy their loyalties to Penz/Shell by saying it's the additive package separating due to shelf life. Ok but what's that additive package doing at operating temps in extreme conditions such as towing and idling in 90+ heat? Don't trust the product if it separated shortly after being blended and bottled. My 2 cents....

This sediment-stuff means we will lose a few Platinum followers.
SOPUS won't even notice the drop-off at the cash register for 2020.

Last edited:
My protocol with my stash of PUP :
Day before Oil Change, take Jug and set on top of my home heating Boiler thereby "warming" the oil making it easier to pour.
Day of Oil Change, take warm Jug of Oil off top of Boiler and vigorously shaking Jug thereby stirring anything that settles on the bottom of the Jug.
Oil is then poured into vehicle receiving said Oil Change, with me never losing sleep over such a trivial issue!

‘Nuff said!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
"You kept buying it - several times after seeing sediment. That tells me you liked Platinum's work - regardless of the sediment.
It took you seven OCIs to lose the trust. But you never cited a lack of the oil's performance skills as the reason.

I don't trust tons of products and tons of people. But that doesn't stop me from using all of them, unless I was given a good reason to stop.

In today's world, we really can't trust anyone and anything. That does that mean running into the caves and living like a hermit because of the mistrust?
Answer is definitely no."

Well said!

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
I began monitoring BITOG about 5 years ago and PP was all the rage so I tried it for several oil changes. In all (4) 5 gallon containers that I purchased there was the sediment that the OP has shown here. Went back to my beloved Valvoline and never has there been anything but clean oil as it has been in the 40+ years I've used this oil. Many satisfy their loyalties to Penz/Shell by saying it's the additive package separating due to shelf life. Ok but what's that additive package doing at operating temps in extreme conditions such as towing and idling in 90+ heat? Don't trust the product if it separated shortly after being blended and bottled. My 2 cents....

Biggest load of horse dung I ever read here. Never saw any 5 gallon containers of pennzoil either. Where in gods name do you "people" come from? Outer space, or the streets?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back