Does anyone do this?.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my wife's oil in her Equinox with a Mobil 1 ext perf cartridge filter. It claims to be good for 20k miles or 1 year of service. The car will eat oil if I don't use my mix of oils that seems to slow down the consumption. I was thinking about changing the oil at 5k per the olm, but leaving the filter on for at least 1 more change. Anyone here ever done that?.,,,

I haven't but you should be just fine. It's rated for an extended OCI, the filter will be just fine.

I just slapped an Ultra on my car last weekend and I plan to run it for three 10k KM OCIs. I'm sure there are a few members on here who have cars that burn a lot of oil and just change the filter every so often. I doubt they are sticking to a 5k interval for the filter when their car burns a jug of oil during that 5k

What is your mysterious brew that reduces oil consumption?

Yep, I run a Fram ultra cartridge for 2 7k oil changes in my Mazda3. The filter is designed to handle it.

Plenty of people use filters for multiple short OCIs , for extra convenience you could get one of those fluid extractors and suck oil up the dipstick and not even have to get under the car but when you have to change the filter.

Originally Posted by CT8
Why change the oil so often?

If it's a 2.4, 5k intervals don't even matter. Most of those are eating 1qt/1k by now, so by 5k he'll have changed the entire sump.

The absolute best bet on any 2010-2015 2.4 Ecotec is to change the oil often, be religious about checking the level, and use a GOOD synthetic 5w-30. Even then, may the force be with you.

Yep. I do that on all of the light-duty farm vehicles that rarely see any crazy dusty conditions.. Anything like tractors/mowers gets the filter changed every time.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Originally Posted by CT8
Why change the oil so often?

If it's a 2.4, 5k intervals don't even matter. Most of those are eating 1qt/1k by now, so by 5k he'll have changed the entire sump.

The absolute best bet on any 2010-2015 2.4 Ecotec is to change the oil often, be religious about checking the level, and use a GOOD synthetic 5w-30. Even then, may the force be with you.

I have a '11 Equinox with the same problems most have with consumption. Keeping oil/filter clean is important to the 2 VVT solenoids. Currently I am using 1 qt of T4 15/40 to 4 qts of Havoline conventional 5w/30. Next fill is the TSC 10.99 clearance Castrol syn blend and T4. I really dont think Synthetic oil will help this engine much. Just ordered the FC219 vented oil cap, hopefully gives more cranckcase ventilation in case the check ball system is malfunctioning.

My wife's car has 61k miles on it and we had the exhaust solenoid replaced about 1k miles ago. I change her oil at 5k and have used Mobil 1. Napa full syn, and the last 2 changes have been with Car-quest syn oil. I don't think it matters who's oil you use, this motor likes to eat oil. I've been testing my own mix of 41/2 qts of 5w30, plus a 1/2 qt of 20w50 and my results have been good. It was using a 1/2 qt every 750 miles, but has slowed down to a 1/4 qt every 1200-1500 miles. I would have liked a screw on filter over the cartridge type, not that has anything to do with oil consumption, but I feel a screw on filter traps dirt better. But I'll do at least 2 oil changes with the long life filter @ 5k. Thank guys.,,

I didn't notice anyone mention this:
Possibly currently but at least in the past, Honda recommends that the oil filter stay on the engine for 2 service intervals... changed every other oil drain.

Originally Posted by DGXR
I didn't notice anyone mention this:
Possibly currently but at least in the past, Honda recommends that the oil filter stay on the engine for 2 service intervals... changed every other oil drain.

Lots of people here run good filters more than one OCI.

Ohh yeah... Numerous times... The STP XL on the lady's Camry is on it's 3rd consecutive run.

Didn't Honda have an oil change interval where the filter got changed every other oil change? I vaguely remember this from my younger Honda days.

Originally Posted by DudeNiceRide
Didn't Honda have an oil change interval where the filter got changed every other oil change? I vaguely remember this from my younger Honda days.

Yes, they did and may still call for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back