Mobil box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the first to see it?

I ran a search and didn't see any other posts.

20200229_012446_Film1.jpg

I wonder how they decided to make them that size? The Chevron Havoline boxes are six quarts and are easy to handle and pour. This size is too much for one oil drain plus the user would need to find another container for the used oil to recycle.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Now to wait for it drop to $5 on clearance.
crackmeup2.gif
Then i'm renting a uhaul and stocking up !!!!!!!Dave

That's what I'm waitin' for!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
I wonder how they decided to make them that size? The Chevron Havoline boxes are six quarts and are easy to handle and pour. This size is too much for one oil drain plus the user would need to find another container for the used oil to recycle.

Like the ST box, this 12qts is gonna be a little hefty to get up on a shelf but doable. Once it's there it's just a matter of dispensing the right amounts. The ProDS 6qt box is like the perfect size and a great price sans rebates... but if you have multiple cars you change the oil on, 12qts, whether it's ST's or M1, is a deal I guess.

Question I have is, does this mean fewer M1 rebates?

Last edited:
That's still $4.50 a qt. ~23/ 5qt jug so no price advantage for buying bulk. It won't fool many since most folks don't want to pay up front for long term savings. They want cheap up front cost even if it cost more overall.

Ala the dollar store 24 oz "quarts" for cheap.

I agree, Havoline hit the sweet spot with 6 QT boxes. Same or lower cost as others 5qt jug and more oil. SALE!

How are you supposed to dispense oil from that heavy unwieldy thing. It seems ridiculous.

Originally Posted by wdn
How are you supposed to dispense oil from that heavy unwieldy thing. It seems ridiculous.

If it's anything like the ST 12qt box it has a spigot.

Originally Posted by wdn

Empty 5qt jug from previous job. People act like these boxes are the worst thing on earth. Bring em on. I like the idea.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by wdn

The shops use 6 gallon boxes and a measuring pitcher. I gave my son a 6 gallon box of Pennzoil Gold since he has 3 vehicles spec'd for 20's …

Originally Posted by wdn

So with the spigot you can count the seconds for measuring?

Originally Posted by 4WD

The shops use 6 gallon boxes and a measuring pitcher. I gave my son a 6 gallon box of Pennzoil Gold since he has 3 vehicles spec'd for 20's …

Then we'll get people on here wondering how to keep dust out of their pitchers.

Not at great price on the Mobil 1 - 3 gallon box but I guess ok price = $4.58 a quart coming out of a 3 gallon box.
That would mean you are paying $22.90 for what would be the equal of a 5 quart jug.

Super Tech is $2.83 a quart coming out of a 3 gallon box which comes out to $14.15 for what would be the equal of 5 quarts.
Super Tech also comes in 0/20, 5/30 and maybe 5/20

I suspect supplies will be hit or miss from anyone selling 3 gallon boxes until production ramps up if it sells.

Last edited:

I believe there are 12 one qt bottles in the box. I saw this yesterday in WM and that's what it looked like.

Last edited:
I don't think much of them … wish everything was sold in gallons
My (2) eight quart engines? , that is two
My six quart? Three does it twice
My 4.2 quart? one and a hair left from OPE change.

Originally Posted by tig1

I believe there are 12 one qt bottles in the box. I saw this yesterday in WM and that's what it looked like.

Ah that explains it. My mind focused on one aspect.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by wdn

So with the spigot you can count the seconds for measuring?

I suppose but I'm not sure the flow rate would stay consistent. If it were me I'd dispense into an empty 5qt jug because they typically have the volume indicated on the sides and the old oil would go into milk jugs or similar. But I bet you could go to the Dollar Store and get pitcher sized containers with graduated marks on the side if you didn't have an empty 5qt jug. I'm sure you have plastic containers sitting around the house like an old SunnyD jug or something like that. Who cares what the used oil goes into. I put it in old milk jugs and take em to the transfer station when I make a dump run.

So is this bag-in-box or 12 bottles? 12 bottles seems like an interminable waste of plastic.

Chevron hit the sweet spot with the 6 quart box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back