Which engine for your F150? Ford dealership employees decide...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I was just looking at the new F-150s and I am really only interested in the 5.0. I will take the risk of sketchy plasma lined cylinder walls over the added complexity of 2 turbos.

I have a 2018 5.0. Go with the 2.7, best engine for these trucks. Or get a Ram.

My 2011 5.0 has been a good engine. No rattle issues, IMO but it does have a little idle noise. Also drinks a little oil, more than I would like but nothing alarming. About 1qt every 1500 miles. Hasn't really changed since I bought the truck with 37k and I have 115k now.

That said, our 2018 2.7L Ecoboost is a very nice driving truck! Great gas mileage and plenty of power. Between the torque curve, lighter chassis and stock tire size it blows the doors off my 2011.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I heard they took a secret vote and it ended up being the Hemi or Pentastar or Cummins diesel in a Ram pickup followed by any GM motored GM truck followed by Toyota,Nissan and then Honda Ridgeline. The Navistar 7.3 diesel got a few first place votes too.

lol.gif

I wasn't interested when they came out, still not sure. But I really don't want to DD a truck so a slightly lesser truck is fine by me--but a turbo is probably durable enough.

And I did have a turbo vehicle, loved it, but when the turbo did die, it was cheap and nerve wracking (since it wasn't unheard of for shrapnel to take out the motor). That turbo got regular oil changes with proper spec yet broke at only 255k. Ergo, I don't think I want it in a daily driver--well, I do, it'd be lots of fun
smile.gif
but it has its drawbacks.

Not sure I would let quick lube boys be picking engines for me. I've seen brighter looking pros than that bunch working at a Meineke.

Haha, what a great thread.

Old biases die hard. I edge toward the 5.0, then I remember the yards of cam chain (rattly and hard on oil), the extra valves (leak down), 4 cams instead of one, and all the other new tech like plasma liners and such. My FIL owns a King Ranch he bought new and when he started it and backed it out for me to see I thought it was a diesel from all the mechanical racket!

I love the 3.5 Egobooster, they are a monster. And if anything they seem to be very reliable anecdotally. I have a friend who lets me ride with him to the various stealerships and I get to talk with the guys in the bays doing the work. Most of them prefer the 2.7!

The facts are every mfgr makes some garbage. Every single one. The important question is how do they take care of it when it messes up?

Originally Posted by maxdustington
How old are you? Over 50? V8. Because trucks have V8s and any truck you or your Dad has ever had has been V8 powered.
How old are you? Under 40? EB. Because you aren't scared of turbos, you can tune it, it will [censored] off your Dad and/or FIL and gas is cheaper.

Still profiling Maxie?

I would probably pick the 5.0 because I like V8's and how they sound. I have no interest in the 2.7 or 3.5 no matter how fast they are. I also like the most simplicity and tend to keep my vehicles a long time so not having turbo's to deal with is a plus for me, even if they are fairly reliable.

That is why it's nice to have options so maybe everyone can find what they like.

Last edited:
This tends to be a power hungry website … but the 3.3L V6 is Ok for light duty and is a dual point injection mill

56AD217C-F3B2-4B5F-8DB0-608B4094A666.png

Quite honestly, it doesnt matter the brand, my general advice to all is dont get a first model year vehicle. If possible, wait 3 model years and go for the 4th model year. I know everyone loves to get the newest thing out there and drive around in a new looking car. However, if you value reliability then you should avoid the first 3 model years.

If anything major has changed like the engine or transmission avoid it for 3 years. Let the engineers and the company figure it out and 3 years is a bit of time to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back