Alternative to Unaffordable New SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Oh yes, my mighty beautiful Camry. Went out to take this picture for you of this stallion. Noticed the trunk had rainwater in it while I was out there and drilled a hole in it to drain.

[Linked Image]

You must pick up a lot of chicks in that thing. And I assume no state inspection where you're from.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Basically OP is trying to keep up with the Jones and the non negotiable position of the boat and wanting a new vehicle. Can't really afford it and is trying to find ways to do so. The real answer is you can't. And OP would be better off financially getting rid of the boat and one vehicle. Only real answer to make something more affordable is to make more money.

Well, there's two answers... make more money, or make the money he has go farther. He's got a spare car, could spend a weekend learning how to do that axle seal and save many hundred $ for the new car fund.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by 14Accent
Why buy new? That's a sucker deal...

Sell the Expi or the Burb, and buy a 4-5 year old Escalade. They can be had all day with average miles for under $20k. Put $3-5k down and you'll have sub-$400 payments on a 60 month loan. Nice new truck, familiar mechanical, and you can fix it yourself. Use the spare $2-300 a month to put into a slush fund for repairs. Problem solved.

You must have never bought a new truck-then traded for another (new) truck. You would be VERY SURPRISED at the cost per month. (Hint-it's very low).

I certainly have not! However, you have a good point. Trucks (specifically pick-ups) do tend to hold value very well. My co-worker traded in his
That being said, another friend just bought a 2016 Sierra Denali, one owner with 40k on it for $32k OTD. Add $2,500 for the covers-it-all warranty that was something like 5/100k and I think he made out like a banshee. The way I see it, that's a $35k discount to buy some rich person's hand me down. I'll take that deal any day of the week.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Oh yes, my mighty beautiful Camry. Went out to take this picture for you of this stallion. Noticed the trunk had rainwater in it while I was out there and drilled a hole in it to drain.

[Linked Image]

You must pick up a lot of chicks in that thing. And I assume no state inspection where you're from.

I tried to buy that Camry a few years ago and he wouldn't sell it!
lol.gif
I would totally rock that around town. The divorce would be pricey, but hey...

crackmeup2.gif
I worship Toyota Camrys? Are you assuming that because I have one? I think the only time I suggested a Camry on this site is to supton.

[Linked Image]

Same though.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dishdude

[Linked Image]

lol.gif

Shoulda offered $150 instead of $100 ya cheap [censored].

[Linked Image]

His other car is a good looking Genesis 5.0 so the car isn't holding him back. In Phx they have emissions testing, out here where I am no inspections at all. You can't believe what you see on the road, this isn't worth a glance.

Get rid of both the Expedition and Suburban, they are both nearly worn-out money pits. Keep the Sentra for an economical running around vehicle, it isn't costing you much to own.
Forget about buying anything new.
Get a used Sienna for your work vehicle. It will be big enough inside for your work hauling, comfortable/quiet enough for your driving pleasure, very reliable/durable, and reasonably economical compared to anything else with comparable utility. Do not buy a 4-cylinder, stick with the V/6. If what you are hauling is too heavy, install air bags in the back.
Get a newer used 4WD 5.4L Expedition for your wife and towing your boat. 6000 lbs is going to be about the max for towing though, so getting a bigger/heavier boat would be out-of-the-question.
You should be able to buy both vehicles under 10 years old and with under 100k miles (so that they can be financed), and you should be able to fit both of them within your budget provided that you don't try to get them too fancy, keep them rather basic (XLT for the Expedition and LE for the Sienna).

Last edited:

[Linked Image]

lol.gif

I'm starting to believe Nick only keeps this Camry to parade it around BITOG, as needing nothing more than oil changes.

I think it proves that besides reliability, these cars have no other positive attributes. It they did, that damage would've been fixed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eljefino

I say wait for the inevitable economic slowdown and/or gas crunch-- they'll be giving these away, then.

That was what I was thinking when I read this thread yesterday.
The global economic slowdown may already be in progress with the current disruptions of supply chains throughout Asia.
OTOH, what might an economic contraction do to the OP's income?

Originally Posted by KrisZ

[Linked Image]

lol.gif

I'm starting to believe Nick only keeps this Camry to parade it around BITOG, as needing nothing more than oil changes.

I think it proves that besides reliability, these cars have no other positive attributes. It they did, that damage would've been fixed.

crackmeup2.gif
Nah I haven't daily driven it in 3 years. Maybe a few times to work since then. I let my brother drive it. It goes to the grocery store and to Starbucks with the occasional trip across town, as he has an older 3/4 ton pickup.

Last year was a pricy year. It needed a timing belt, new control arms, and some CV boots. But lots of miles and old age, I can't complain.

No yearly inspections here. It was inspected after the wreck though by the state for the salvage title.

Sorry if I missed your people hauling needs (thus the need for a massive SUV), but you can tow a 6000lb boat with a pentastar powered Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4, as long as it's got the 3.55 gears. They can be had 1-2yrs old with under 36K miles for $25K-ish. One with a Hemi and a much roomier crew cab adds maybe $3K to that. That would at least get you in the ~$450/mo for 72mo range with shiddy credit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fdcg27

I say wait for the inevitable economic slowdown and/or gas crunch-- they'll be giving these away, then.

The global economic slowdown may already be in progress with the current disruptions of supply chains throughout Asia.

Well the slowdown is happening, just look at the stock market. On the other hand, gas prices should be coming down as the price of crude oil is way down due to the lack of demand, now under $50 a barrel when it was pushing $70 a while back.

Well the slowdown is happening, just look at the stock market. On the other hand, gas prices should be coming down as the price of crude oil is way down due to the lack of demand, now under $50 a barrel when it was pushing $70 a while back.

People driving 20 year old 200,000 mile cars are not in the stock market and could care less about it.

I would look at a decent crew cab truck. Get a canopy with some storage totes in the box for groceries and other shopping.

In these parts, trucks cost way less than a new SUV and the insurance is usually less as well.

People driving 20 year old 200,000 mile cars are not in the stock market and could care less about it.

Seriously? LMAO. There are all kinds of people out there who place little value in impressing people, but have solid portfolios.

Who said anything about impressing people. Let me put it another way. People with solid portfolios wont risk breaking down by driving 20 year old 200,000 mile cars when they can afford more reliable ones.

Who said anything about impressing people. Let me put it another way. People with solid portfolios wont risk breaking down by driving 20 year old 200,000 mile cars when they can afford more reliable ones.

Just shows how little you know. I knew a radiologist who had that 20 year 200k car. He just loved the car, kept breaking down too. Wife finally put her foot down and he finally bought a new car. But he had it for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back