School me on Radon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you be concerned if 6.1 pCi/L was found in your basement? A 24 hour snapshot test. Anybody DIY the remedies?

The EPA recommends taking action at 4 pCi/L-- confirmed by repeat testing. That is in a living space though. If the basement is not "frequently occupied," you should test upstairs. In other words radon that you don't breathe can't kill you.

Last edited:
While the EPA says a reading over 4 is actionable, there's no "safe" radon level. It's not supposed to be that much money to install a radon mitigation system, typically in the thousand dollar range but I suppose it can done on a DIY basis for a few hundred. Basically you need a vent pipe to the roof and a fan that's always on to vent the basement and some other additional prep to the basement. You can actually get a electronic tester to do readings on Amazon.

Originally Posted by dareo
Anybody DIY the remedies?

I have done two DIY radon mitigations.

My first house went from 8 to 0.6. My new house went from 18.0 to 1.0.

The first house required me to rent a hammer drill and core bit to drill through the basement. I then piped it to an outside radon fan through 4" sched 40 pvc. I followed all the procedures that a professional would have. My install looks very nice... better than many of the professional jobs I have seen done around here.

New houses in my area are required to be pre-piped for radon mitigation systems. If the radon is high, all you have to do is add a fan to the pre-installed radon pipes and wiring in the attic. That is all I had to do to my new house. The worst part about it was going up into the attic with the blown in fiberglass insulation. The actual fan install was easy.

It cost me about $400 to do my first house when I factored in the fan, pvc pipes, hammer drill and core bit rental, etc. My second house only cost me $180 for the fan, install kit and power cord.

So they want $1350 for a hole in the ground, PVC pipe, and a fan? wow.

I'd do some reading. I'm a bit dubious about the affair at the moment: I mean, you go to buy a house, they do a radon test, it reads high because it was raining. Suddenly the seller has to put in a radon mitigation system. But oh wait, if you install now, it's 10% off and only a grand (or whatever) to put in. Ok nothing smells wrong here. [That's what the seller of my current house went through.]

I spent a little time reading on it, and haven't gotten around to looping back on the subject (moving is stressful by itself). IIRC more than a few resources were doubtful about the short term test that is typically used, and a few mentioned that the reading is impacted by the weather. What was best was a month long test.

YMMV. The seller had mine put in and that's that. Maybe this summer I'll get around to retesting.

I paid 900 and when the first test came back around 8 or so, they came back and put in a second line 10 feet away at no additional cost. It went down to 1 after that.

I would do some long-term testing and go from there.

[Linked Image]

I tested at less than 2.00 when I purchased in 2001 (canisters).
Recently purchased the Airthings home detector and saw readings in
the finished basement between 2.8 and 4.6. Much higher in the enclosed sump closet.
I installed the Radon away RP260 directly from the existing sump pit.
Made several perforations in the plastic sump pit.
Covered the sump pit with 1/2 plywood and sealed it with 1/2 foam insulation.
Vented with 3" pvc.
Currently readings of 0.21 avg.
Pump is very quiet.

radon.jpg

So they want $1350 for a hole in the ground, PVC pipe, and a fan? wow.

Yup. We paid around 1000, but that was 10 years ago.

So ventilation?

What if it's dissolved in you well water?

Is this from Granite?

I live in the Granite State.

Maybe I shouldn't take it for granted. !

I did a lot of research when I sold my last house, most of which has already been discussed. What I will say is that I remain skeptical of the entire radon problem. I was unable to find one definitive test study proved the threshold amounts would increase your chances of cancer. If its out there, I didnt find it.

i did order the amazon meter as i want a second opinion. The firm that tested the radon conveniently also wants the $1350 for the hole in the ground with a fan attached to it. Test was in the basement level that contains no bedrooms. this 6.1 rating seems to be average for the zip code.

Originally Posted by 64bawagon
I did a lot of research when I sold my last house, most of which has already been discussed. What I will say is that I remain skeptical of the entire radon problem. I was unable to find one definitive test study proved the threshold amounts would increase your chances of cancer. If its out there, I didnt find it.

It's probably why the EPA says that a reading above 4 is considered actionable but they do go on to say that there's no level that's considered "safe". It probably just boils down to probability. A lower reading is a lower probability but it's not zero.

Would you be concerned if 6.1 pCi/L was found in your basement? A 24 hour snapshot test. Anybody DIY the remedies?

I am still reading up on the topic. Get the 90 day test which is more accurate. Test should be in lowest living level. So with an unfinished basement that means first floor. That is my thought.

Is there any way to went out without going all the way to the roof? That seems to be the biggest PIA.

Has anyone tried sealing seams and cracks in the basement floor?

What about an air to air heat exchanger?

Curious if my brother will have health effects. His bedroom was walkout basement level growing up that required a mitigation system for final sale to next owner.

He is a healthy 52 year old.

DIY leave the window(s) open and retest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back