1994 Buick Century 63K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realize it was the same as the 2.2L cavalier engine. We had some of those in the family over the years. Wow that buick has got to be a dog with that engine in it.

Originally Posted by JTK
I didn't realize it was the same as the 2.2L cavalier engine. We had some of those in the family over the years. Wow that buick has got to be a dog with that engine in it.

You'd be surprised what gearing, and a 2900 lb curb weight does with that motor.

Thanks everyone.

Yes it is absolutely rust free & smoke free. The 2.2 & 3 speed auto does really well under normal driving but leaves a lot to be desired if you need to get there in a hurry.

I forgot about the hoses and belt so I just ordered those. The battery cables were replaced about 10 years go and look good. Sounds like a good idea to do the brake fluid as well.

Does anyone know what power steering fluid these called for? Is it dex/merc or regular power steering fluid?

Originally Posted by Anduril
I believe it was roughly the same iron block/head pushrod engine from the early '80s all the way through 2002 when they discontinued it.

This was an iron block, aluminum head pushrod engine. I believe it was introduced in the late 80's or very early 90's as a replacement for the 2.5 iron duke.
They were used in many cars, Cavaliers/sunfire, chevy corsica/Beretta, A bodies (Olds cutlass ciera, pontiac 6000, buick century, chevy celebrity) and was also used in S10 pickups.

Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash40
Thanks everyone.

Yes it is absolutely rust free & smoke free. The 2.2 & 3 speed auto does really well under normal driving but leaves a lot to be desired if you need to get there in a hurry.

I forgot about the hoses and belt so I just ordered those. The battery cables were replaced about 10 years go and look good. Sounds like a good idea to do the brake fluid as well.

Does anyone know what power steering fluid these called for? Is it dex/merc or regular power steering fluid?

Might also consider the thermostat , too , when you do radiator hoses .

Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash40
Whats up everyone,

Picked up a 94 Buick Century Custom 2.2L with 63k on it. It was originally my Wife's Grandmothers who purchased it new. It then became my MIL's spare car but she never really drove it and it sat in the garage most of the time. It's the ultimate old lady car that is white with red interior. Got it to use as a work/ spare car.

It has only been driven 200 miles in the past two years. I changed the oil last in 2018 with GTX and Fram. It is in near perfect condition.

To make it ready to be daily driven again at least a few days a week i'm going to do the following:

Oil & filter
Trans fluid & filter
Coolant & thermostat
Fuel filter
Pcv valve

Had new brakes, plugs & wires a few years ago.

Only repairs that need to be done is two new tires and it needs a valve cover gasket.

Have I missed anything? I'll put up a few pics here in the next few weeks!

Hoses, belts. Hoses for everything including heater, etc. No need to be sidelined because of blown or rotted rubber.

Update: Sorry. You already addressed that.

I had all of mine done on the 05 ION at 10 years old and will have them inspected this year and replace anything ready to give up the good fight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cronk
Originally Posted by Anduril
I believe it was roughly the same iron block/head pushrod engine from the early '80s all the way through 2002 when they discontinued it.

This was an iron block, aluminum head pushrod engine. I believe it was introduced in the late 80's or very early 90's as a replacement for the 2.5 iron duke.
They were used in many cars, Cavaliers/sunfire, chevy corsica/Beretta, A bodies (Olds cutlass ciera, pontiac 6000, buick century, chevy celebrity) and was also used in S10 pickups.

You got the history right.

It began life as the 1.8 [ Chevy designed ] introduced with the J Cars, increased in 83 to 2.0 and 2.2 in the late 80s. Not to be confused with the 1.8 OHC Brazilian engine offered as an option in some of the other Js. Nor the 2.0 OHC [formerly 1.8] Brazilian 4 used in the Sunbird toward the end of the 80s.

Had one in my 99 Cavalier. It worked as intended. I'd still have it if it hadn't been rear ended and totaled.

Originally Posted by cronk
I was always a fan of GM A bodies. I had a 1988 Pontiac 6000 with the old 2.5 iron duke.
Had 200k when I got rid of it. Just to rusty to keep driving, needed timing gears.
Those pushrod 2.2's were great engines, I had 2 of them. Just dont overheat it, as the heads will crack if you get them too hot.
On a car of that age, I would probably replace radiator hoses as a precaution.

My Father's Oldsmobile, an 84 Ciera made me a fan of GM for years [ no longer, unfortunately and only in recent years ].

The A Bodies were the right size, had plenty of room, got acceptable gas mileage, were quiet and nicely trimmed. Just the ticket for people downsizing out of full sized and traditional intermediates.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by atikovi
Engine mounts.

If they are bad...

Well, I'm just now replacing two of them on my 37,000 mile 2001 Ford. Thing has a bad vibration at idle that makes the dashboard buzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back