Empty house without kid or cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son went off to unversity at the other coast last fall. Since I had to leave the country on an assignment for a few months, my son took our cat with him I don't want to uproot the cat and we have decided the cat will live with my son at least until he's done with uni. The last few months have been really crazy and now that I've come back from a couple weeks on vacation, I really notice the empty house. I'm starting my new job on Monday and I expect to be quite busy. Still, I think I may go see if I can get another cat.

The nice thing about cats is they don't require much attention. They appreciate when you're around, yet are perfectly content to be left alone as long as they have provisions. Just make sure it has a dedicated scratching post and plenty of water.

An empty house really can be the quietest place in the world...

My wife and I have been in the empty nest for about 10 years now. Our boys went off to school, got married and one has 3 boys, the other has one.
Seems like they are just down the hall though (almost). Jake and family lives 2 miles away and his brother lives a block from him.
grin2.gif

Okay, it's not exactly like 'just down the hall' because when I yell to have someone take out the trash or pick up dog pooh, nobody shows up.
33.gif

Empty house for 25 years. Two kids through college and doing well. We love them but just having each child other....I feel like I died and went to heaven

I hate an empty house. When my wife takes the dog with her upstate for one week every year, I go bananas the very first night inside the empty house.
Spiritualists like myself would rather see a busy home with distractions that don't allow the time to reveal my inner-self ...... which often reveals afterlife. So I miss the 25 years we had children living at home. That kept this small 1,000 sq,ft home a mind-busy place.

So peace and solitude while alone, are never greeted well with me.

I was catless for about 3-4 months (last regular stray got munched by coyotes).
About 3 weeks ago another stray showed up. I just wanted to get rid of the leftover cans of wet food and a bucket of dry.

It's obviously been domesticated. It's done its best to get me to adopt her, and is now chasing away other cats (where'd the other cats come from I have no idea).
Very noisy, but stops when I touch her head. And, she's able to roll briskly around on the concrete while keeping her head in continuous contact with my hand.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
My son went off to unversity at the other coast last fall. Since I had to leave the country on an assignment for a few months, my son took our cat with him I don't want to uproot the cat and we have decided the cat will live with my son at least until he's done with uni. The last few months have been really crazy and now that I've come back from a couple weeks on vacation, I really notice the empty house. I'm starting my new job on Monday and I expect to be quite busy. Still, I think I may go see if I can get another cat.

I've always had a pet of some nature, but I also love my solitude. When my Maine Coon passes, I wont be replacing him.

Time to get another cat. Or two if your son wants to keep the other one for good.

My cat was the coolest cat, I miss him a lot. With bad kidneys I had to put him down last year.
[Linked Image]

Me and Storm here...kids live two miles down the road, never see them.

I can go away for work for few days, and she's completely casual with that arrangement....=She didn't eat all the big spiders, but I forgive her.

I still have plenty of years before my kids are even ready to think about leaving (and yet time keeps flying by!!!) but I cannot imagine having my kids move out AND taking the cats!

Jinx on the right, and my girl Voodoo on the left. 2nd picture is our girl Muffin aka Goose... full of sass and very, VERY protective of "her" house.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Time to get another cat. Or two if your son wants to keep the other one for good.

My cat was the coolest cat, I miss him a lot. With bad kidneys I had to put him down last year.
[Linked Image]

What a neat looking cat! Sorry to learn you lost him. I talked to my neighbor today. He's an elderly gentleman whose health is failing. He has a six-year-old cat that he can't any longer take care of all the time.The cat will start living with me and my neighbor will be wellcome to visit and do cat sitting whenever he wishes to do so. I'm frequently out of town for a few days so this should work out. I also have a housekeeper who doesn't mind taking care of the cat. Pictures of Tigger coming soon.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
The nice thing about cats is they don't require much attention. They appreciate when you're around, yet are perfectly content to be left alone as long as they have provisions. Just make sure it has a dedicated scratching post and plenty of water.

An empty house really can be the quietest place in the world...

I'm the official cat box attendant at our house and advise that you keep the poop and clumps picked out daily. Cats are fastidious and like clean facilities just like humans. Change the box once a month and your cat will appreciated the accommodations.

Originally Posted by spackard
About 3 weeks ago another stray showed up. I just wanted to get rid of the leftover cans of wet food and a bucket of dry.

It's obviously been domesticated. It's done its best to get me to adopt her, and is now chasing away other cats (where'd the other cats come from I have no idea).
Very noisy, but stops when I touch her head. And, she's able to roll briskly around on the concrete while keeping her head in continuous contact with my hand.

I think you need a name now...

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by spackard

I think you need a name now...

True! Give her a name. That roll is skills.

Also, Jar, while you usually are kind of crazy, I knew you are an adventurous rider cat person.

Apparently, I'm too. Mine is a ninja contortionist cat. It found the only spot in the house where we cannot get to her.

Yah Ta Hey Good tip about daily de-clumping litter box. Thought wife was being OCD. She would nag me to do it daily. I have been expecting a visit from Gray Kitty. Once the weather gets warm he visits. Sometimes it is months before he stops by for a snack. Just when you figure a coyote or a fox got him, he walks up the porch stairs to my wife's smoking lounge
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back