5.3 DOD/AFM Delete - Looking for LS Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day.
Am preparing parts list for a full lifter and cam DOD delete on my 2007 Chevy Avalanche with an LC-9 5.3 and am looking for advice from our resident LSX experts. This is an aluminum block/aluminum head engine.
The DOD delete kit contains Fel Pro MLS (Multi-Layered-Steel) head gaskets (0.052" thick), along with Fel Pro intake gaskets.
Additionally, It contains OEM style TTY head bolts. The remainder of the kit seems perfectly adequate and serviceable.

My concerns are if you believe I would be better served with other gaskets or Non-TTY bolts such as ARP. Any input would be appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance.
Duke

The stock head bolts aren't really an issue, but personally I much prefer using ARP when possible for any hardware. As far as head gaskets, Cometic are my preferred choice, but always MLS.

Thanks for the comments bdcardinal.
I guess I also should have mentioned that I'm not building this for high performance or race. The new cam is going to be a low-lift truck type cam to keep the meat of the torque curve down low for towing and day to day driving. It's only got slightly more lift and duration than the stock cam.

The FelPro MLS head gaskets are fine. The intake gaskets are just little rubber o-rings. FelPro also makes pretty good ones of those.

Well... not that little, but they're not a big sealing surface with water + fuel/air.

Last edited:
What are the cam specs? New valve springs? Replace all the timing chain components. I used ARP fasteners on the timing components, head bolts, crank pulley and exhaust manifold bolts. Over doing it probably, but if you are in there...

What lifters are you running? I would recommend the Brian Tooley Racing (BTR) OEM style LS7 lifters.

At minimum I would do an ARP crank pulley bolt and exhaust manifold bolts.

The Fel-pro gasket are good to go! Never had a problem with them.

Use OE head gaskets & TTY bolts, There isn't a good reason not too!!

*An LS2 timing chain dampener & a 4X 3-bolt cam gear is highly recommended. HERE
*C7-R IWIS timing chain.....HERE
*LS2 lifter guides & LS7 lifters.....HERE
*LS6 oil pump.....HERE
*Oil Pan gasket.....HERE
*L92 valley cover....HERE

Remove the AFM relief valve in the oil pan & plug it with a 14x1.5mm shouldered-gasketed plug OR what I've been doing lately.....Retap the threads to 1/4" NPT, Blow out the aluminum chips really well, Apply anaerobic sealant or Loctite to the 1/4" pipe plug, Torque the plug down & let the sealant cure overnight.
*1/4" pipe plug....HERE

*Fel-Pro "MS" intake gaskets.....HERE
*ARP exhaust manifold bolts.....HERE
*HO 5.3L GM head gasket, You need 2......HERE
*GM head bolts.....You need 2 sets.....HERE

Give Cam Motion a call for a custom ground camshaft recommendation! Phone# (225) 926-6110.....Custom grinds are NOT just for high performance applications!

^ good plan here
Don't forget that you are going to need a torque angle indicator or a torque angle torque wrench.

^ good plan here
Don't forget that you are going to need a torque angle indicator or a torque angle torque wrench.
19.gif

Last edited:
ls1mike said:
What are the cam specs?

LS1Mike:
Firstly, thank you for your excellent suggestions. Truly appreciated!
I was planning on a Summit cam as follows, however based on clinebarger's excellent advice, I'll be contacting Cam Motion for recommendation. I see they have a cam with almost same specs.

Basic Operating RPM Range:750-6,000
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:205
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:217
Duration at 050 inch Lift:205 int./217 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration:258
Advertised Exhaust Duration:270
Advertised Duration:258 int./270 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.500 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.500 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.500 int./0.500 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):112

Mr. Clinebarger.
All I can say is "WOW"!!! The effort you put into your reply is nothing short of amazing. I thank you for that. With hyperlinks no less. I should have sent you my credit card as the only thing you didn't do is order the parts for me.
smile.gif
(Or install them I guess?)
smile.gif
smile.gif

Originally, I wasn't planning on getting into the oil pan, but after your comments and further internet review, I now see that it's really necessary. My truck is a 4WD which makes the pan pull more complicated, but not too bad. I assume that I should also replace the O-ring from the oil pick-up to the pump since I'm already in there. Summit sells this O-ring from Fel-Pro. It was the only one I could find on their site.

This truck only has 115k miles on it, but as ls1mike mentioned, I'm also thinking of replacing the valve springs and seals. Based on your experience, would you recommend this also? Would likely use the GM Performance blue springs rated up to around 0.570" lift. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12499224

Additionally, I've ordered a Top-Side Creeper to tackle this job after seeing your review. My back isn't getting any better and I can't believe how we could live without it before! This thing looks amazing.

Once again: Thank you so much for your excellent advice. It's blatantly apparent that you know these engines at a Master level.

As info for future reference. This parts list along with a few others that are required added up to around $1100.00 give or take a little bit. Can't imagine what the labor would cost??? These are all TOP-DRAWER parts. No questionable third world aftermarket stuff.

Originally Posted by P10crew
^ good plan here
19.gif

P10crew: Thanks for the reminder on the torque angle gauge! Got it on order.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The Blue/Yellow LS2/LS6 valve springs are a good choice for mild camshafts!

A couple of quick questions for anybody that might know:

I ordered set of the Chevy Performance Blue Z06 valve springs. Will my stock retainers fit these new springs?

Also, I haven't been able to find a definitive response as to what happens with the electrical connector attached to the old DOD valley cover. Tape/seal it up and let it hang?

TIA
Duke

Dukie as far as I know the part numbers were the same for the retainers. Trust but verify! All my LSx experience has been with 99-02 so I can't help with the delete stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back