Conventional or Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,. I would like to know what conventional 5w30 motor oil meet the Chrysler MS-6395 specs? I have 2013 Fiat 500 pop sport with a 1.4L non turbo engine,
The owner's manual says to use a 5w30 conventional oil but a synthetic oil meeting the MS-6395 spec can also be used....Thanks🙂

I just checked the October 1, 2018 Product Data Sheet for Havoline Deposit Shield 5w30 (considered to be a "conventional" motor oil even though it's 5w30 is a synthetic blend) and it meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec.

You can order a 6 quart Smart Change box on Walmart.com for $14.97. Not a bad price. Also, their full synthetic 5w30 sells for $19.97 for the 6 quart Smart Change box.

I use Valvoline Daily 5w20 for my Caravan. It meets all the specs for Chrysler. They do have the 5w30 also and both are fuel mileage blend.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Yellow bottle, Valvoline White bottle, Quaker State conventional all do for sure, but I'm sure oldhp is correct. MS-6395 is one of the most common specs oil specs met.

Originally Posted by csandste
Not much conventional 5w30 left. All blends and syn.

True indeed ^^^^^^^

Ol oldhp is correct too in my opinion... Lots of choices...

If you have a Napa near by and they may carry Cam2 SuperproMax 5w30.... It is $1.99 a qt if bought by the case in a Napa store near me.

Originally Posted by charmer37
Hello,. I would like to know what conventional 5w30 motor oil meet the Chrysler MS-6395 specs? I have 2013 Fiat 500 pop sport with a 1.4L non turbo engine,
The owner's manual says to use a 5w30 conventional oil but a synthetic oil meeting the MS-6395 spec can also be used....Thanks🙂

Chevron Supreme 5W-30 Motor Oil meets the MS-6395 spec. It is a blend oil with a fantastic add pack. It can still be found at Costco for an excellent price.

owner's manuals or at least the ones I've seen, don't typically specify the oil type and if they do it will be synthetic over dino!
Curious why owner manual recommends conventional in 2013? Is that normal?
Is that a Fiat thing?

Originally Posted by oldhp
Almost any oil meets the Mopar MS-6395 spec. Pick your favorite color bottle and sleep well.

Not quite.
I looked on the Mobil site and their Mobil 1 0w20 doesn't have the reco and doesn't get the nod on their ðŽð¢ð¥ selector for your vehicle!
I was using a 2018 Pacifica for the choice.
They did have a lesser quality oil that met the standard.
Head scratching!

Originally Posted by OilUzer

owner's manuals or at least the ones I've seen, don't typically specify the oil type and if they do it will be synthetic over dino!
Curious why owner manual recommends conventional in 2013? Is that normal?
Is that a Fiat thing?

It's in the manual for 2018 Grand Caravan also. 10k or OLM on conventional oil if you use there spec oil. They are confident as well.

10K or OLM on conventional ... Good to know! I think I should extend my oci with dino.

10K or OLM on conventional ... Good to know! I think I should extend my oci with dino.

Engine Oil
Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
Refer to the "Maintenance Plan" for further information.
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change inter-
vals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350
hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350
hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern
for fleet customers.
Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only rec-
ommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet the
requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395.
The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to the "Engine Compart-
ment" illustration in this section.
NOTE: Mopar SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA
Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or
equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil
meeting MS-6395 is not available.
Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certifi-
cation mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number
should not be used.
Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recom-
mended oil quality requirements are met, and the recom-
mended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are
followed.
Synthetic engine oils which do not have both the engine oil
certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade
number should not be used.
Straight from manual.

My uncle used Castrol GTX in his Northstar and changed it out by OLM which ran north of 10k at times. Car got totaled at 130k and he got it with 15k. I wouldn't recommend it but he never had in shop for engine work.

The non-turbo models specify conventional oil and the turbo models require synthetic,. The manual also states synthetic can be used if it meets the Chrysler ms-6395 specifications. I probably use penzoil platinum 5w30 and a Mopar or Purolator boss oil filter.

Here is the Chrysler MS-6395 spec:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../re-dexos-1-vs-chryco-ms6395#Post4584316

When compared to the vanilla API SN/Resource Conserving spec, it's practically identical. The only differences are:

It has limits on HTHS for sheared oil.
It has a copper-rust test.
It places stricter limits on elastomer compatibility.

I think the elastomer compatibility is the main difference of the MS-6395 spec from the vanilla API SN/Resource Conserving spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back