Mercon LV in the transfer case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after my experience with changing the transfer case fluid on my 2011 I'm looking to do an "early" change on my 2018. Interestingly, the manual is now specifying Mercon LV for the transfer case instead of the "transfer case fluid" (aka old Mercon). Did they change anything in the transfer cases between 2011 and 2018 or is this simply to appease the EPA gods? Thoughts on whether using a Mercon vs a Mercon LV fluid would be better long term- or if it would even matter?

My 2017 Tahoe and 2018 Z71 4WD's use Dexron VI …
pretty much the same as M-LV … in fact I used a Ford/GM dual approved ATF …

My wifesF350 uses LV in her trans case. It is supposed to be a better base oil? Not much in a standard transfer case. I did a change at 1,000 miles and the oil had sparkles.

Originally Posted by buck91
So after my experience with changing the transfer case fluid on my 2011 I'm looking to do an "early" change on my 2018. Interestingly, the manual is now specifying Mercon LV for the transfer case instead of the "transfer case fluid" (aka old Mercon). Did they change anything in the transfer cases between 2011 and 2018 or is this simply to appease the EPA gods? Thoughts on whether using a Mercon vs a Mercon LV fluid would be better long term- or if it would even matter?

There are two reasons: 1) a minimal, fractional, EPA fleet mileage increase, 2) The slightly lower viscosity fluid was tested and found to be more stable and offer the same wear resistance as the slightly higher viscosity fluid spec.

No conspiracy needed. Simply because it has a slightly lower viscosity does not mean it offers less wear protection.

Mercon offers a higher oil film strength in the initial tens of thousands of miles/km , beyond which its operating viscosity may tip below that of LV .
Question then would be, at what mileage the crossing occurs, if ever there is one . Mileage dependent though .

Last edited:
I recently changed my 2013 again. Dex/Merc has been keeping those part time cases happy for 40 years so I'm staying the course despite Ford's more recent recommendations. I though Ford got rid of the part time transfer cases in more recent years?

This is to squeeze a little bit more MPG, to satisfy CAFE. Nothing got redesigned. If you really want to go syntethic, AMSOIL has a version with higher viscosity than LV (they also have the LV one, called "Fuel Efficient"): https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...omatic-transmission-fluid/?code=OTFQT-EA
Another synthetic one that has standard Mercon viscosity (cSt @ 100º C around 7.4) is Mobil1: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...products/products/mobil-1-synthetic-atf/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt
I recently changed my 2013 again. Dex/Merc has been keeping those part time cases happy for 40 years so I'm staying the course despite Ford's more recent recommendations. I though Ford got rid of the part time transfer cases in more recent years?

Yeah, mine is bolted to a 440Q rated transmission with the same Dex VI ATF

Last edited:
It seems transfer cases are not as finicky about fluid as transmissions can be.

My '05 Ranger now sports 20 ounces Maxlife LV. The "clicking" into and out of 2WD and 4WHi is now immediate.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

There are two reasons: 1) a minimal, fractional, EPA fleet mileage increase, 2) The slightly lower viscosity fluid was tested and found to be more stable and offer the same wear resistance as the slightly higher viscosity fluid spec.

No conspiracy needed. Simply because it has a slightly lower viscosity does not mean it offers less wear protection.

Also one less part number that has to be produced when another existing one can do the job.

Originally Posted by Kira
It seems transfer cases are not as finicky about fluid as transmissions can be.

My '05 Ranger now sports 20 ounces Maxlife LV. The "clicking" into and out of 2WD and 4WHi is now immediate.

It depends on the Make and year. In Toyota transfer cases most TC fluids have been 75W90's. Lalely, they have gone to a LV fluid.

Nissan Frontier TC's use a Dex/Merc viscosity fluid while the Nissan PathFinder TC fluids use 75W90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back