Ford to reduce warranty costs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by PandaBear
That statement is targeted at Wall Street. To us that won't tell you whether it is "improve reliability" or "deny the car is problem" or "we'll shaft our dealer for it". I'll play it safe by not participating, as I don't think Ford can improve reliability enough to just cut back this cost.

Maybe, if they stop developing unreliable tech (Dual clutch, turbo, direct injection) and keep using the old reliable tech (6 speed auto, 4 cylinder NA), that'll happen?

V8 and 4 speed auto is where it's at
smile.gif

Heh, I've thought of doing that, but only with LS power.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by marine65
I read today that Ford will reduce it's warranty costs by 5 billion dollars.
How will they do that?
Pay the dealers less to fix warranty issues?

Probably reduce the scope and/or term of the factory warranty.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
They can easily do that by not putting out cars with GARBAGE transmissions. No more cars for Ford anyways except the Mustang, so problem solved.

They're not out of the woods, transmission-wise. The A10 is starting to show its dark side, because yet again, they rushed it to market with bad code.

Ford is not reducing warranty costs by denying repairs! Stop talking out of your butts, people! Tenderloin is the only one in this thread with the correct answer, and it's already been brought up in another thread in the Vehicles section.

Farley sees an opportunity to wipe away much of the $5 billion it spends annually on warranty repairs by harnessing data coming from newly connected cars to head off problems. But that will require Ford to hire new tech talent that can create software solutions for the flood of data coming from its cars, which will all have modems by the end of this year.

"It's a completely new muscle," Farley said of the data mining that will save the company billions in repairs. "You really have to wire up the company differently."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...ces-of-colleagues/ar-BB10qm58?li=BBnbfcN

Originally Posted by azjake
I read that too. Not real smart for them to actually announce it in the press.

It's not smart to announce that they're deploying cutting-edge technology in their cars? How so?

Here are ways the cost will be reduced...

Thats normal
can not duplicate customer concern
They all do that

This is what I heard from Honda during a new car warranty, EVERY - SINGLE - TIME.

Originally Posted by exranger06

Farley sees an opportunity to wipe away much of the $5 billion it spends annually on warranty repairs by harnessing data coming from newly connected cars to head off problems. But that will require Ford to hire new tech talent that can create software solutions for the flood of data coming from its cars, which will all have modems by the end of this year.

"It's a completely new muscle," Farley said of the data mining that will save the company billions in repairs. "You really have to wire up the company differently."

That's one big reason why the automakers have been getting in bed with tech, while Google, Apple and Tesla are going at it on their own, GM has been investing in autotech(Lyft, Cruise, Maven and having people in SF and their R&D facility in Michigan focused on IoT and electric cars), while Uber is working with Toyota, Ford and Volvo. I know of someone who worked on Uber's self-driving car and truck project. Telematics, if done right can give the OEMs insight into how their cars are holding up and what can be pain points. Of course, there's always the concern Big Brother and the OEMs are spying on you.

Prognostics are nothing new - big rigs and buses have been using cloud-enabled diagnostics and prognostics to give drivers, fleet managers and owners clues into how their assets are doing. One of the major transit agencies in my area is using something called New Flyer Connect. They are using it to gauge how far their buses can go between breakdowns and prevent issues before they arise, as well as collect data on what causes breakdowns and affects fleet performance. The engine manufacturers have offered mobile monitoring of their engines and many trucking fleets have been using Qualcomm's Omnitracs or similar to keep tabs on their trucks and drivers.

Last edited:
It sounds more like they will be spying on your driving patterns and sending your car's telemetry back to Ford over wireless, which they can use to void future warranty claims. Nothing benevolent about this from Ford, on the contrary, it is downright sinister.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
My company just keeps leasing them (Transit 250s), and each year seems to be worse than the one before. I'm starting to think they like paying big bucks for denied warranty claims, out of warranty repairs, & rentals! Ford is already denying a lot, I can't imagine how they could get any wose.

Is it possible that the leasing company is kicking back to the person responsible for leasing them?
No that never happens.

Ford is not reducing warranty costs by denying repairs!
True, because they can't really reduce their warranty costs any MORE than they are now by denying MORE warranty repairs. They already deny a large number of legitimate warranty repairs, and have been doing so for many years. I have personal experience with them on this, which is why I will never buy another Ford product.

I know they were already doing it in 2013 when I bought my Mustang. They denied me twice. I got one eventually done after four months of fighting with them and the other was never done. I was not impressed. They did fix two other issues without any problems.

How do you deny legitimate warranty claims? There is a list of covered parts, there are time and mileage limits and some basic requirements for maintenance. My last two warranty repairs were an HVAC blower motor with bad bearings and a leaky rear differential - how on earth could a manufacturer deny those with 800 and 15K miles on a vehicle?

Pardon my ignorance - I've never owned a Ford and so I've never dealt with this kind of insanity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
How do you deny legitimate warranty claims? There is a list of covered parts, there are time and mileage limits and some basic requirements for maintenance. My last two warranty repairs were an HVAC blower motor with bad bearings and a leaky rear differential - how on earth could a manufacturer deny those with 800 and 15K miles on a vehicle?

Pardon my ignorance - I've never owned a Ford and so I've never dealt with this kind of insanity.

Former Ford owner here. I got very used to hearing the phrase "can not reproduce issue" during the warranty period while addressing suspension issues on my car. This is despite the tech saying "oh yeah, I hear that, something is messed up in there." after taking it for a test drive.

Originally Posted by tenderloin
Read the study Must sign up

Ford

+

Here are two links that touch on the subject with a very short summary;

https://www.informationweek.com/ibm-sas-package-helps-automakers-mine-warranty-data/d/d-id/1019101

https://insightaas.com/organizational-intelligence/

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
The fact that they stopped making that dual clutch transmission should be enough to reach this goal all by itself.

Ouch !

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27438193/ford-powershift-transmission-problems/

Last edited:
Really cool method as it stuff I work on is how. Using data mining coupled to analytics with rules they are trying to expose issues quicker and resolve them instead be reactive.

They will save money and hopefully end up with better products.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Really cool method as it stuff I work on is how. Using data mining coupled to analytics with rules they are trying to expose issues quicker and resolve them instead be reactive.

They will save money and hopefully end up with better products.

In computer science, we say, "if you can't measure it, it ain't real."

Yep … We say if you can't measure it … you can't improve it …

Problem is when folks try to micrometer a brick, LoL ...

Ford is not reducing warranty costs by denying repairs! Stop talking out of your butts, people! Tenderloin is the only one in this thread with the correct answer, and it's already been brought up in another thread in the Vehicles section.

Originally Posted by azjake
I read that too. Not real smart for them to actually announce it in the press.

It's not smart to announce that they're deploying cutting-edge technology in their cars? How so?

Thanks for that post, pretty much the only beacon of truth in this entire swamp of FDR (Ford Derangement Syndrome) on display.

The Ford's planned strategy you pointed out with the facts you brought to the discussion are the reason Ford recently announced that FordPass Connect would go from subscription fee based to free for every owner. It's being made free of charge to foster maximum participation in order to enable the data gathering which is expected to aid in proactively intercepting malfunctions before they turn into costly claims.

I posted few days ago that I'm not a fan of the data gathering, and glad to not have the Ford Connect modem equipped on my truck. I stand by that statement because I don't like the general concept of real time data mining in the background as I operate my vehicle. Bad enough online, don't want it in my vehicles.

While I can see the customer demand for connected tech in cars (avg customer), I too would have no interest in owning a fast car or any vehicle that data-logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back