school me on tint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tint is basically a necessity in Florida, especially in the summer. My car is a lot more comfortable to drive and ride in during the summer compared to my mom's car, which doesn't have tint. It's 28% front and 15% rear here. Ceramic does make a difference in how hot the interior gets. 15% doesn't look that dark during the day, but is difficult to see out of at night. It's a good thing cars come with backup cameras now. It does cut down on the glare from headlights from cars behind me though. Might get clear ceramic on the windshield at some point.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
The one thing that ticks me off is we have a max tint limit in Texas of, I think it's 25% now....however the law doesn't apply to police cars. EVERY police car/truck in Texas has greater than 20% tint almost limo tint. They should adere to the law they are enforcing.

I get 20% all around, I like dark and it is still good to see out of. I just have to go to certain inspection stations to get passed. Most ignore tint.

I worked IT for a police agency. The tint is to keep the equipment inside alive. There is computers, radios and tons of electronics that will come to a sizzle when the car is idleing with the AC running.

UPDATE;

Thanks to all for opinions, experiences and input on tint.
I'm a person who mostly knows what I want, think I want or try to do some homework upfront. Don't like being handled or manipulated by sales folk etc....
Got tinted Thursday -

I found a really impressive looking shop per website and went by a week later to talk and see about options.
Basically they have 3 tints, mid and top end are both ceramic. I didn't get into much schooling on them and they didn't go hard-sell to the other tints. Can't even tell you the costs but I did get the "CS" tint (lowest tier on pricing) done on my Sportwagen telling them I didn't want to go Gangster Dark, something offering some privacy and good or classy look. Was thinking 30 or 35 % and I think I went 30. Our laws say 27% is the limit. We talked in the shop and I wanted to see tint on cars so we went outside and checked a few out. They did great work and the car looks just as I hoped, looking more sportwagen than station wagon.
grin2.gif

The upgrade tints did show a few stats for improved heat and UV rejection but it was not a big jump.
$249 and the teeny triangle window up front was blacked out as they said might be the case since it's a pain to get to from inside and really provides no helpful vision.

I added (paid extra) for the headlamp cover that is clear and helps the lens stay clear rather than fog-over, helps with rock or debris cracking or chipping too. It's entirely invisible and does not muddle the headlights at night, still crystal clear.
For me, the tint is just a personal choice in a few To-Do things for this car. I may never go APR tune, fancy exhaust or much investing in upgrades but plan on replacing OEM wheels / tires when due with something offering a sporty upgrade and appearance. It's the "S" model so no bright work or flashy chrome, keeping it mostly low-key.

Thanks again !

Originally Posted by bachman
UPDATE;

I'm a person who mostly knows what I want, think I want or try to do some homework upfront. Don't like being handled or manipulated by sales folk etc....
Got tinted Thursday -

I found a really impressive looking shop per website and went by a week later to talk and see about options.
Basically they have 3 tints, mid and top end are both ceramic. I didn't get into much schooling on them and they didn't go hard-sell to the other tints. Can't even tell you the costs but I did get the "CS" tint (lowest tier on pricing) done on my Sportwagen telling them I didn't want to go Gangster Dark, something offering some privacy and good or classy look. Was thinking 30 or 35 % and I think I went 30. Our laws say 27% is the limit. We talked in the shop and I wanted to see tint on cars so we went outside and checked a few out. They did great work and the car looks just as I hoped, looking more sportwagen than station wagon.
grin2.gif

The upgrade tints did show a few stats for improved heat and UV rejection but it was not a big jump.
$249 and the teeny triangle window up front was blacked out as they said might be the case since it's a pain to get to from inside and really provides no helpful vision.

I added (paid extra) for the headlamp cover that is clear and helps the lens stay clear rather than fog-over, helps with rock or debris cracking or chipping too. It's entirely invisible and does not muddle the headlights at night, still crystal clear.
For me, the tint is just a personal choice in a few To-Do things for this car. I may never go APR tune, fancy exhaust or much investing in upgrades but plan on replacing OEM wheels / tires when due with something offering a sporty upgrade and appearance. It's the "S" model so no bright work or flashy chrome, keeping it mostly low-key.

Thanks again !

Where did you do tint?

I moved from a state that has an average UV of 3.5 to one that's closer to (the Sun) 7.5 and even though I'm making up these numbers, you probably get the idea.
We've gotten used to sun protection and hot cars, seen bleached interiors and moonscape dashboards etc.... but I have no problem admitting that I like the looks of tint on many cars when it's to my taste.
It's popular in this area and I'm guessing 30 or 35% looks about right to me. Not the sinister looking limo stuff for me though. Something to provide a bit of cover. Prying eyes looking to thieve or just be nosy have to advertise their intent a little bit by getting right up to the car to see anything. UV and keeping the car cooler is a thing in many states too so I understand a certain logic to tint even if one isn't wanting 'the look'.

Tint in CO is not optional. They should sell cars here with 30% tint and stock of sun screen included.

Originally Posted by edyvw
UPDATE;

Got tinted Thursday -

grin2.gif

Thanks again !

Where did you do tint?

https://www.autofilmsolutions.com/

Originally Posted by edyvw
Tint in CO is not optional. They should sell cars here with 30% tint and stock of sun screen included.

thumbsup2.gif
Yeah, it sure shouldn't be but then again, we can choose what level we want going à la carte.

I hear the term 'greenhouse' at times talking about cars with good visibility or big windows thin pillars etc.... but my wagen looked serious greenhouse by all that sun coming in the naked windows.
Fixed !
grin.gif

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by 14Accent
As you can see, I can drive between 30 and 100 miles in either direction, and have completely different rules to abide by. Now, obviously if your car is registered in a certain state and you have a license from said state, you'd be fine. AFTER the traffic stop. Why give the police a reason to stop you? That's my argument for 35% max on a sedan.

There was another discussion here not that long ago where folks were arguing that what you said about your car being legal in your home, registered state, didn't matter. Problem is, some of them just made it blanket statement that covered the entire country and insisted it was fact. I can assure them that that is NOT the case in Ohio no matter how strongly they think they're right. Ohio has tint laws but it specifically pertains to, I'm paraphrasing but it makes the point well enough, "vehicles registered in Ohio". So, someone from state "A" that allows 5% tint (I'm making up numbers) can't be cited for a tint violation in Ohio.

I've had 35 tint and i live in southern ohio. The only 2 times I ever got a ticket in 25 years was in Middleburg Hts ohio near cleveland, and by the same LEO. When I told him this, he felt bad. Southern ohio is much more lenient. I had my doctor write me a note saying i must have tint because my eyes are sensitive. I drive all over ohio. When he pulls me over again, that note will prevent any ticket.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I have 3M ceramic tints 15% all around on my vehicles, even company car.

Keeps the heat out and add some privacy.

3M tints like everything 3M are top quality tints. Doesnt pay to find something a little less expensive, more so for a car.

We have 20 double hung and 2 - 6 foot by 6 foot stationary windows tinted on the back of our house with 3M Nightvision 35 film, now at 13 years old, still no signs of degrading.

On wifes car, we did try something else since we could not find a 3M car window dealer near us. Nationwide company called ProTint seems well made, also had it installed on daughters car, lifetime warranty or whatever. Both holding up well, keep in mind, where we live, a good 3 months of the year we NEVER have daytime highs of less then 90 degrees and 90 is on the cool side meaning all these films really get tortured, same with the 3m on the back of the house, faces west blasted by sun all year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back