2018 Ford 2.0 EcoBoost - Mag1/ Warren 5w30 synthetic D1gen2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my EcoBoost Escape with 30k miles. The oil was listed on the form but they listed it as unknown. It was Mag1/ Warren 5w30 synthetic D1gen2 with a Federated extended life filter. Oil was used to go 3,200 miles to make 30,000 miles total on car. Oil is changed with more Mag1 5w30 synthetic and another extended life filter. Other than the oil shearing into a 20w which is expected, I think it looks great. I'll go 5k this time and sample again.

20200228_162937.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by mpgo4th
This is from my EcoBoost Escape with 30k miles. The oil was listed on the form but they listed it as unknown. It was Mag1/ Warren 5w30 synthetic D1gen2 with a Federated extended life filter. Oil was used to go 3,200 miles to make 30,000 miles total on car. Oil is changed with more Mag1 5w30 synthetic and another extended life filter. Other than the oil shearing into a 20w which is expected, I think it looks great. I'll go 5k this time and sample again.

How can you tell if a viscosity deviation is due to mechanical shear or fuel dilution?

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Can you rename the title to include the oil and viscosity ASAP while you can?

Sorry, I must have missed it.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by mpgo4th

How can you tell if a viscosity deviation is due to mechanical shear or fuel dilution?

I can't tell for sure. Either way the wear numbers were not affected. I spoke to the lab and they are trying to get me a fuel percentage from the sample. I feel like fuel or shearing, 5k oci is probably the magic number for this combo.

I like the part where they say we need the manufacturer, type and grade to evaluate the oil. What a minute, that is what I am paying you for.

Im not comfortable putting in 5W30 and taking out 5W20. This engine needs something more "stout" IMHO. Also check the air filter...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Navi
Im not comfortable putting in 5W30 and taking out 5W20. This engine needs something more "stout" IMHO. Also check the air filter...

I did this change as part of the 30k service. PTU was also changed along with the trans fluid. Air and cabin filters changed as well. I would have agreed with you about the 20w but the wear numbers don't lie. Just because we don't like it doesn't mean its harmful.

Originally Posted by jimbrewer
Yeah.... I'm wondering what the point is of a 3k UOA.

Get yourself a 2.0 Ecoboost with twin-scroll turbocharger. You may uncover that a 3.2K OCI UOA unleashes evidence that a future 5K OCI can be safely achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back