New style Goodyear Duratrac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I would share with you the new style of the Goodyear Duratrac. We picked these up today in a 275 70 18 E load. The tire is no longer studdable and does not carry the three Peak Mountain snowflake rating. It does however have additional siping, and some sort of smaller tread stabilizing blocks, between the larger blocks. Additionally, it is now made in the USA

20200225_151752.jpg

Interesting. I'll be interested to hear how these both hold up and perform in winter. The Goodyear website lists them as 3PMS winter rated except for, specifically, size LT275/70R18 125R.

LT275/70R18 125R. Are the ones we purchased, so that explains the lack of 3 peak snowflake. However the sipes are still different

Originally Posted by Rand
Possible oem fitment/model?

Could be... as stated it's not studdable

My friend has had nothing but Duratracs on his Jeeps, and loves them. They do seem to perform very well for that application, but the old style wore very quickly on heavier trucks like F250s and such. When I replaced the tires on my Wrangler it was down to the Duratracs and the BFG KO2's, but the BFGs I got for a much better price so I went with those.

Just so everyone knows.

There places in the world where the 3PSF (3 peak/snowflake) symbol is a sales negative - and many places won't accept tires that are NOT winter tires with that symbol (and barely tolerate winter tires that do). I think it's a "Not Invented Here" kind of thing.

Also, the Canadian government is trying to discourage tire manufacturers from using the symbol on non-winter tires.

So don't be surprised when a particular sized tire doesn't have the symbol and all the other sizes in the line do - and variations thereof. It doesn't mean that particular size WON'T (or didn't) pass the test. There may be other factors at work.

Farmers, ranchers, construction, and oilfield types buy that tire here often. Not obnoxiously loud on the highway and still quite respectable in mud or dirt. None of them looking for or like snowflakes.

Are they loud when they wear a bit?

I've got KO2's and love everything about them, but they are getting louder as they wear. I've got 28.5k on a 5 tire rotation on my 2018 Jeep and they are wearing well, and I'll be happy to replace them with another set, but I wouldn't be opposed to looking at the Duratrac when the time comes to replace them. I've got friends with them and they love them as much as I do the KO2. If they don't get as noisy, and do everything else as well, and are competitively priced, I may look at them. I've got awhile to go, though.

We sell a lot of Duratrac upgrades out of our Ram store.
Customers really like them.
Had a truck come in yesterday and thought the tires were worn with about 25% life remaining, the tread blocks were even, no cupping or feathered edges.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
I'm surprised that they would lose their 3PMS rating when they have all of that additional siping.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
Just so everyone knows.

There places in the world where the 3PSF (3 peak/snowflake) symbol is a sales negative - and many places won't accept tires that are NOT winter tires with that symbol (and barely tolerate winter tires that do). I think it's a "Not Invented Here" kind of thing.

Also, the Canadian government is trying to discourage tire manufacturers from using the symbol on non-winter tires.

So don't be surprised when a particular sized tire doesn't have the symbol and all the other sizes in the line do - and variations thereof. It doesn't mean that particular size WON'T (or didn't) pass the test. There may be other factors at work.

I'm wondering if it lost the 3 peak mountain snowflake due to being made of a harder durometer rubber compound similar to several of the BFG AT sizes that don't carry it as well.

To obtain that 3 peak mountain snowflake rating the rubber compound must me a little more softer & flexible in lower temperatures.

This could be the case, we only plan to run them spring summer and fall anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back