PQIA Kirkland 5W-30 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
What I have been saying for a year … that's a semi IMO … exactly what EHC and the other brands of GII+ target …
Make Dexos 1.2 for less … and exploit what you can call it. Even at 75/25 they make it cheaper in tonnage.

Some GII is hydro cracked … some GIII is hydro processed … Gonna be like herding cats on this site …

You could be right, I dunno. I do know you can get D1G2 with a grp2 and 3 blend using some grp2+'s out there. Would be disingenuous IMO to be labeling it "full synthetic" if that's the case. I'm personally ok with labeling all grp3 as "full synthetic" but I think the inclusion of a grp2, no matter how good it is, would be stretching it. But what the heck does my opinion matter. It may be naive of me but until somebody can show Warren's using grp2 in there, I'm inclined to trust that they're being "honest" and using all grp3.

Originally Posted by 4WD
What I have been saying for a year … that's a semi IMO … exactly what EHC and the other brands of GII+ target …
Make Dexos 1.2 for less … and exploit what you can call it. Even at 75/25 they make it cheaper in tonnage.

Some GII is hydro cracked … some GIII is hydro processed … Gonna be like herding cats on this site …

You could possibly be right 4wd....

I have the Cam2 SuperproMax in my car and it's predominantly group II with a bit of group III mixed in. And yet it meets ACEA A5/B5... Which is not too far off the Dexos Gen 2 spec in terms of difficulty to hit.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Can't argue with your simple point. DEXOS-rated oils must meet a comprehensive standard.

If the current DEXOS rating could be hit with Grp II+ and Grp III base oils, I'd still pop for this oil. To date, there's nothing telling the BITOG group this Kirkland stuff is anything other than good oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveG4

Can't argue with your simple point. DEXOS-rated oils must meet a comprehensive standard.

If the current DEXOS rating could be hit with Grp II+ and Grp III base oils, I'd still pop for this oil. To date, there's nothing telling the BITOG group this Kirkland stuff is anything other than good oil.

And both XOM and Chevron (amongst others) make some really good grp2+'s just 1pt shy of technically being grp3. At the end of the day I guess what matters most is the approval. I mean, if it meets Dexos performance requirements, does it really matter what's in it? But then again this is BITOG soooo.
lol.gif

Last edited:
It is clearly a typo by PQIA since viscosity index is a computed value not a measurement, and the two viscosity measurements given at 40C and 100C compute to a a viscosity index of 176.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by SteveG4

And both XOM and Chevron (amongst others) make some really good grp2+'s just 1pt shy of technically being grp3. At the end of the day I guess what matters most is the approval. I mean, if it meets Dexos performance requirements, does it really matter what's in it? But then again this is BITOG soooo.
lol.gif

I do slide CS into my older Silverado in the summers. It is also good stuff at a great Costco price.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wdn
It is clearly a typo by PQIA since viscosity index is a computed value not a measurement, and the two viscosity measurements given at 40C and 100C compute to a a viscosity index of 176.

I notified them of the typo. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back