Which engine for your F150? Ford dealership employees decide...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this video they go around the Ford service department and ask which engine for your F150. All but 2 employees said 5 liter V8 and why? Its because of reliability. Now there are 2 employees who say the 3.5 Ecoboost...one of those guys makes the disclaimer that he "is kind of new to the Ford world" before he says Ecoboost.

My experience with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost has been negative to be honest. Its a fun engine, lots of power but once you put miles on it you will see...its not that reliable.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
I'm not a Ford person, but is the 5 liter the same as the old Fox Mustangs, just updated for the modern world?

No, the Coyote has exactly nothing in common with the 302 Windsor other than also having the "5.0" moniker associated with it. It's based on the Modular.

I was just looking at the new F-150s and I am really only interested in the 5.0. I will take the risk of sketchy plasma lined cylinder walls over the added complexity of 2 turbos.

My brother bought a new 2019 F150 last summer with a 5.0. He chose it over the Ecoboost V6's because he likes the sound of the V8. It does sound awesome and is a rocket ship.

I heard they took a secret vote and it ended up being the Hemi or Pentastar or Cummins diesel in a Ram pickup followed by any GM motored GM truck followed by Toyota,Nissan and then Honda Ridgeline. The Navistar 7.3 diesel got a few first place votes too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I was just looking at the new F-150s and I am really only interested in the 5.0. I will take the risk of sketchy plasma lined cylinder walls over the added complexity of 2 turbos.

I think the OP's video is from 2017 before Ford switched to the plasma lined cylinder walls in the 5.0. Wonder if the techs would vote the same way today. Had tons of 2018 problems and some 2019. Hopefully they've gotten it ironed out. Also having chain rattle issues in the newer 5.0's. Of course not all do it, but with my luck with FoMoCo, if I were to buy one it would definitely be an oil burning chain rattling son of a gun.

I've seen more issues with the 5.0 than either ecoboost offering at the last two dealerships I've been at. I have a 3.5 in my 12 f150 and so far no issues at all with the engine.

The "techs" in that ancient video appreciate not having to remove turbo intake and exhaust plumbing when they do some work, that's about all you can glean from it. Brings nothing to the table about which has more issues. Considering that ecoboost engines now make up 75% of F-150 sales, they should make up 75% of service work.

They seem to be interviewing the shop rat/oil changer guy at one point. Not really useful info.

Last edited:
I didnt know about the plasma update. In that case probably best to wait a few years on that one. One thing about the Ecoboost is the turbos eventually go bad. No doubt turbo power is a lot of fun but over time the turbos go bad and need replacement. Fortunately they do have "dropin" turbos from companies like Garrett.

Originally Posted by Navi
I didnt know about the plasma update. In that case probably best to wait a few years on that one. One thing about the Ecoboost is the turbos eventually go bad. No doubt turbo power is a lot of fun but over time the turbos go bad and need replacement. Fortunately they do have "dropin" turbos from companies like Garrett.

When do they go bad, exactly? 400k miles on these, since this post was started:

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/threads/300-000-miles-on-my-2011-eco-boost.28082/

Having had a 5.4l v8 in my 2009 and the 5.0 in my 2013 F-150, along with the 3.5 eco in my 2016, care and maintenance has much more impact on longevity than which engine you choose. Unless you get a lemon out of the gate, like some of the plasma lined 5.0 since 2018 have been.

Last edited:
What will go bad is the wastegate linkage. During cold startup you can hear the wastegate whistleing. The wastegate linkage not sold seperately. Only option is to replace turbo.

Actually the linkage and the wastegate become loose and rattle at high frequency. It sounds like a whistle noise but its really loose parts rattleing very very fast.

Im not certain of the consequence of leaving this alone.

Here is video from Youtube expert

Here is my exact experience.

Last edited:
How old are you? Over 50? V8. Because trucks have V8s and any truck you or your Dad has ever had has been V8 powered.
How old are you? Under 40? EB. Because you aren't scared of turbos, you can tune it, it will [censored] off your Dad and/or FIL and gas is cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tcp71
The "techs" in that ancient video appreciate not having to remove turbo intake and exhaust plumbing when they do some work, that's about all you can glean from it. Brings nothing to the table about which has more issues. Considering that ecoboost engines now make up 75% of F-150 sales, they should make up 75% of service work.

They seem to be interviewing the shop rat/oil changer guy at one point. Not really useful info.

I have a 15 5.0 and have had no issues. Love it. But I agree this video is worthless. I'm old school and often worry about the added complexity of a turbo and the expected longevity. Same token my 5.0 (even more in the 18+ 5.0's) is much more complex than the old time 5.0 from back in the 90's GT/LX cars.

I have to say I like the 5.0 the best. I have had great luck with mine and have ridden and driven an ecoboost as well. It's very easy to change plugs on the 5.0 which is nice because they are not that easy on the previous Ford I had which was a 5.4. I still have the original plugs in mine with just 50,000 miles.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
How old are you? Over 50? V8. Because trucks have V8s and any truck you or your Dad has ever had has been V8 powered.
How old are you? Under 40? EB. Because you aren't scared of turbos, you can tune it, it will [censored] off your Dad and/or FIL and gas is cheaper.

I am 67 and have a Eco boost truck. I had a turbo on my 1976 International Transstar II Coast to coast for 5 years with out a break down just maintenance.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My brother bought a new 2019 F150 last summer with a 5.0. He chose it over the Ecoboost V6's because he likes the sound of the V8. It does sound awesome and is a rocket ship.

My son bought a 2013 brand new had 35 miles on it F-150 with the 5.0 liter.
He added a low restriction exhaust,cold air intake and a plug in thing (dont know the name) that modifies shifts and stuff.
For a big crew cab 4x4 it is pretty darn fast.
And it sounds awesome.

My ‘11 FX4 3.5 went over 140k and only took a vacuum pump which Ford paid for. 5k oil changes ( I used edge 0w40) and plugs about every 40k. And with EB trucks showing up on YouTube checking in at 200k, 300k with the original turbos I'd deduce the turbos can last quite a long time.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Originally Posted by tcp71

I have a 15 5.0 and have had no issues. Love it. But I agree this video is worthless. I'm old school and often worry about the added complexity of a turbo and the expected longevity. Same token my 5.0 (even more in the 18+ 5.0's) is much more complex than the old time 5.0 from back in the 90's GT/LX cars.

Two more injectors and pistons more cam lobes as well as 8 valves and their parts as well as cam lobes over a 6 cyl and two turbos
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back