Taking "Use any oil I have laying around" to the next level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helping clean out my deceased grandfather's garage and found a 1 gallon jug of GTX 10W-30 which was unopened and still has the foil intact under the cap. Fresh as far as I care.

Bottle is dated 3/28/2005 on the bottom IIRC. If I don't end up using it in my lawnmower it'll become my "top off oil" to use in my car as it burns oil lol.

I'd just shake it up real well before using. I'm currently running some 4-5 yr. old oil which works great as far as I can tell.

I shook it for a good 15 minutes earlier making sure its mixed real good for when the time comes that I end up using it
smile.gif

I would shake it and store upside down if the seal is still intact until you're ready to use it.

Question in the meantime, would I realistically have any problems just running this in my CR-V for the next OCI? I mean it has high mileage, already burns 1/2 quart every 1000 miles or so, and my current OCI is slightly thickened with STP and I am having no issues with that.

Or would I be better off just using this in my mower and just to top off the CR-V?

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
Question in the meantime, would I realistically have any problems just running this in my CR-V for the next OCI? I mean it has high mileage, already burns 1/2 quart every 1000 miles or so, and my current OCI is slightly thickened with STP and I am having no issues with that.

Or would I be better off just using this in my mower and just to top off the CR-V?

Will be fine in the crv.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Why upside down ? Stuff will "settle" either way.

So that you can see if the seal is still good.

But it will pour out.

Can confirm from the label it is an SM rated oil. My OLM currently has 70% left so I got awhile to go but when the time comes I'll break the seal and run it.

Might keep a little bit for a VOA and do a UOA after that OCI to see how it held up..

(although not necessary).....
Take your time and blend the SM with current store shelf brew SN Plus .... a 50/50 concoction..... next two OCIs.

Today I'm doing my own custom brew - to be sent off for a Virgin Lab Oil Analysis. It's also a 50-50 blend ......of Pennzoil Gold Semi-Syn and Pennzoil Platinum High-Mileage.
Both of my Korean vehicles are new and I mistakenly bought Platinum HM instead of Regular Platinum. Even thou it's ok to use HM in new vehicles, I will dilute the HM add-pack. So my next two OCIs will see this 50-50 brew and I'm curious to see the blended Virgin Analysis outcome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6

In our climate, you don't see 10W-anything engine oils spec'd much anymore because of how cold we can get in the winter. You could certainly use it from spring to fall (or summer only).

If you're going through a 1/2 quart every 1000 miles, you'll use that gallon in short order (a year ?) for topping off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back