Need a Kia pin code to program a replacement remote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Where does it say you will need a LSID to obtain the PIN?

Are you familiar with the concept of key codes? This information is only released to license vehicle security professionals.

Most, if not all the automakers want a LSID for security related items like immobilizer codes or even key codes to cut a new mechanical key.

Originally Posted by nthach

Most, if not all the automakers want a LSID for security related items like immobilizer codes or even key codes to cut a new mechanical key.

Ford does not allow us to even accept a locksmith's ID to obtain a keycode. Registered owner only, and someone with a lien title or a repo agent are specifically banned from being given assistance.

Called Kia customer service and they said to bring ownership documents to any dealer and they should get it for me. Will see after the keys I ordered come in.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

Ford does not allow us to even accept a locksmith's ID to obtain a keycode. Registered owner only, and someone with a lien title or a repo agent are specifically banned from being given assistance.

I didn't know that - I was basing what I know from Toyota's TIS, which does let locksmiths or anyone with an LSID to obtain key codes and immobilizer codes. Honda works on a similar basis.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_pageLabel=ti_whats_tis&_nfpb=true

I see why Ford restricts key information to registered owner - to keep bad actors out. The repo guy ban kinda boggles me but they can gain access to a car via brute force(but not start one). A story I was told back when I was working at the dealership was that someone in finance took my boss with him to repo a car. He had the Honda HDS tablet on him from the shop and grabbed the immobilizer passwords off ISIS off iN. The service department cut a new key for the car. They found the car, unlocked it, plugged the HDS tablet in and entered the immobilizer passwords. They drove off.

Now, how did Honda corporate not know about this I dunno, or it could have been hearsay in the shop. Now that I think about it, the scene in my head is like when Tom Selleck as Magnum was able to break into the Ferrari on the estate on Magnum, PI and silenced the alarm with the code.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

I didn't know that - I was basing what I know from Toyota's TIS, which does let locksmiths or anyone with an LSID to obtain key codes and immobilizer codes. Honda works on a similar basis.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_pageLabel=ti_whats_tis&_nfpb=true

I see why Ford restricts key information to registered owner - to keep bad actors out. The repo guy ban kinda boggles me but they can gain access to a car via brute force(but not start one). A story I was told back when I was working at the dealership was that someone in finance took my boss with him to repo a car. He had the Honda HDS tablet on him from the shop and grabbed the immobilizer passwords off ISIS off iN. The service department cut a new key for the car. They found the car, unlocked it, plugged the HDS tablet in and entered the immobilizer passwords. They drove off.

Now, how did Honda corporate not know about this I dunno, or it could have been hearsay in the shop. Now that I think about it, the scene in my head is like when Tom Selleck as Magnum was able to break into the Ferrari on the estate on Magnum, PI and silenced the alarm with the code.

Ford has an owner verification form and we have to keep a copy of their proof of ownership and matching photo ID for a possible audit. We have been audited before and luckily passed. Other dealers that fail the audit are forbidden from accessing the key code website for a certain amount of time. It all stemmed from a dealer in Texas cutting keys for a drug cartel in Mexico. They were hiding drugs in American cars on the South side of the border and then retrieving them when the unknowing owner came back to the US. Someone was caught by the Border Patrol and was able to prove the dealer accessed their VIN to make a key without their permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back