Ford....in trouble??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BIGJ552000

Seems like that's not NONSENSE but VERY concerning.
Btw Sears is/was in business over 100 years..... look where they are!

The problem isn't the company itself, but the leadership or lack thereof. Both Sears and Ford among others have a problem with poor leadership and a lack of vision for the long term.
It's sickening to see what happened to Sears, if I was the exec or one of the top BoD at the company I couldn't sleep at night knowing I was involved with the destruction historical icon.
and all the job loses that come with that.

Toyota has passed both FCA and Ford, and now sits at #2 position in US market share behind GM. Ford is duking it out with Tony for the #4 spot.

It's sad, as a long time Ford lover, I wouldn't buy one now. They don't make one vehicle that even remotely interests me. I had high hopes for the Bronco, not so much now.

Originally Posted by BIGJ552000
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Lot of nonsense in this thread. I'm not worried about Ford's viability going into the near term and beyond. They are positioning to pivot to EV's as technology allows. Electric F150 due out soon. Mustang Mach E next year. Likely a mid size SUV EV in the pipeline which they'll give a peak at later this year with a prototype. Don't forget their stake in Rivian EV manufacturing.

But apparently over 100 years in the car manufacturing business does not exceed the collective business sense here on bitog ... rofl.

Here's some "sense":

For the fourth quarter of 2019, Ford reported a net loss of $1.7 billion, or 42 cents a share, compared with a loss of $100 million, or 3 cents a share, a year earlier.

The quarter included a loss of $2.2 billion due to higher contributions to its employee pension plans, something it disclosed last month.

Revenue in the quarter fell 5% to $39.7 billion, above the $36.5 billion Wall Street had expected.

Ford's adjusted free cash flow fell 67% in the fourth quarter to $500 million, including the $600 million cost of bonuses related to a new labor deal with the United Auto Workers union. The UAW deal also played a role in driving North American automotive profit margins down to 2.8% in the fourth quarter.

Ford said its operating losses in China last year totaled $771 million, including a loss of $207 million in the fourth quarter. It lost $1.5 billion in 2018. Ford's market share in China in the fourth quarter fell to 2% from 2.3% last year.

Ford's China sales fell about 15% in the fourth quarter and 26% for the year as it continued to lose ground in its second-biggest market. Ford has been struggling to revive sales in China since its business began slumping in late 2017.

Seems like that's not NONSENSE but VERY concerning.
Btw Sears is/was in business over 100 years..... look where they are!

Bingo. Never underestimate the power of dumb arrogant leadership.

5.9 billion in government loans to upgrade their facilities and avoid bankruptcy yet within 10 years Ford cuts car production. Ford's answer was the Focus, Fiesta, and Fusion. The DCT shudderbox has to be the worst transmission of the last 20 years yet Ford kept selling junk to their customers.

15.gif

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by honeeagle
Pivoting back to cars should not be too difficult , Ford and most manufacturers SUV's are just a tall hat on a common (car)platform.
Going back to a car (hat)on a shared platform is not going to be hard ,a lot of these vehicles were already built in the same building.

so untangle your undergarments and relax, cars will come back if there are enough buyers- buyers not opinions.
Isn't Ford still producing cars in other markets? Bringing back cars if the market shifts is a non issue.

exactly
even the mustang is getting a SUV 'top hat'

Ford stock; consists of 2 types A and B , A is family only and not sold ....... anywhere ,B is purchased for its dividend returns not its value year after year.
production is cut because sales are down - it is a cycle after all, should they keep running flat out and just store them?
It is a temptation because they can book the 'sale' as soon as it is shipped.
GM is the source of the famous quote "we are losing money on every unit so we have to make it up in volume" and how did that work out?
Actually I dont think any one ever said that ,but it did seem to be how the company was run at one time.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Wow, there's some real HS being spewed by some in this thread.

Ford is putting out some of the most desirable vehicles out there right now. Raptor...Mustang...Super Duty...standard F-150...

Lincoln is making the best lux vehicles by an American OEM.

They've embraced new technologies in ways that others have been afraid to try. Sure, there have been some problems along the way in making EcoBoost ubiquitous. But they're improving them continuously (Gen II).

They were wise to abandon the compact-midsize car market. It's dominated by the Asians, and they've been doing it much better than the Americans have for the last 40 years, anyway. And we do trucks better, for the most part.

The brand-hate and brand bashing gets so old around here from some of y'all.

Most of the bashers are probably Hyundai/Kia fans...

Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
5.9 billion in government loans to upgrade their facilities and avoid bankruptcy yet within 10 years Ford cuts car production. Ford's answer was the Focus, Fiesta, and Fusion. The DCT shudderbox has to be the worst transmission of the last 20 years yet Ford kept selling junk to their customers.

15.gif

I get it that you despise Ford....but my Fords are a lot more reliable than the Chevy Cruze that nearly sickened us with it's constant coolant odor (which the dealer denied knowing anything about despite a class action lawsuit). Even the Accord that I purchased new in 2001 had the problematic BAXA A/T that Honda sold for several years....I do agree that Ford should have gotten rid of that terrible DCT before it did so much damage to their reputation. I guess in the end it's hard for carmakers with union labor to compete with non-union manufacturers....and poor management doesn't help. PS: Ford took loans...GM and Chrysler took bailouts...

Originally Posted by pbm
I have 3 Fords in the family (2014 Focus 5spd M/T, a 2016 Escape 2.5, and a recently acquired 2009 Fusion 2.3). All 3 have been very reliable. Having said that, I think Ford did irreparable damage to the company with their disastrous DCT in the 2012-2019 Focus. Every car company makes duds...but when you keep selling that dud for 7 years..you destroy your reputation. How can Ford expect someone to 'move up' to an Edge, Explorer etc..after getting burned on their Focus. Poor management decision, IMO...

Let's hope the decisions the judge makes on the PowerShift lawsuit is worth the owner's troubles.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30689585/ford-settlement-transmission-lawsuit/

I did all that inexpensive plastic replacement myself … I can't do transmissions

This!

It's not like they are not building cars on the same platforms in Europe or other places.

The plans are in the computers in Dearborn and other respective HQ locations.

What I have not seen before this comment was the issue of legacy costs. The domestic car makers have higher domestic costs in pensions and so on. Until they can get that sorted out, they will be at a significant disadvantage to their off-shore competition.

Edited to add, I'm not particularly a Ford fan, but we do have a 1999 Grand Marquis in the household fleet (Meh!)

But while I like Mazda and Toyota, I'm not foolish enough to think Ford and others are utter junk and they are doomed. They just need to be smart and yes, they don't have the same wiggle room other car makers might have.

Originally Posted by honeeagle
Pivoting back to cars should not be too difficult , Ford and most manufacturers SUV's are just a tall hat on a common (car)platform.
Going back to a car (hat)on a shared platform is not going to be hard ,a lot of these vehicles were already built in the same building.

so untangle your undergarments and relax, cars will come back if there are enough buyers- buyers not opinions.

Ford ain't going nowhere anytime soon

One of the last true great American family operated business in the USA !!🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Unlike GM and Chrysler who took tax payer money to stay alive !!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬

FORD
Will survive !!!

Last edited:

15.gif

15.gif

5.9 billion in gov loans ????

Show the proof

Originally Posted by kstanf150

5.9 billion in gov loans ????

Show the proof

Here is a good suggestion for a web search: "Ford received $5.9 billion in June 2009".

That way it is nice and neutral, and you get to do you own research.

Please stay on topic and being civil to each other is not optional so take a break okay.

Haven't had many Ford experiences but I did lease a Focus soon after they came out and really enjoyed it. Had the four door with the Sony Xplod sound package, alloy wheels , sporty, fun, held up well and good mpg. Probably the only Ford I ever had.

A few years ago, I needed a rental for some body work taking one of our cars off the road. The rental car and my insurance experience with Safeco was truly excellent.
I optioned to upgrade for just few bucks to a nicer car and got the Fusion hybrid. Really enjoyed the car and it's technology. I know it's not the same as ownership or long term experience but it was impressive enough to interest me at the time.

In car sales, I drove and sold many Fords, F series trucks, Mustangs, Taurus, Windstar vans etc.... Of the Big Three, my loyalties were always with GM though. My default preference if I could keep away from the imports.
grin.gif
My mom worked for 'Generous Motor' for about 30 years.

Last edited:
Ford has been having troubles assembling the new Explorer. It has been so bad they set up tents at the plant to hold all the questionable vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back