Fiat 500e - How bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the fiat had a diesel and a stick shift around the time I bought the cobalt I might own one.

Cost wise I couldn't justify the $14,999 automatic 500 vrs the $9999 5mt Cobalt (both brand new prices)

Last edited:
I had a 2012 500 for a short period of time - ~60k miles/4 years old and ~1 month before my emissions check was due an EVAP leak popped up. Gas cap replaced - still EVAP leak, smoke test no dice, finally the horrific Fiat/Chrysler dealership just proposed replacing the gas tank and all the lines to the tune of $800-$900 but could not guarantee that would fix the issue. Traded it in 2 days later.

Honestly it was a very fun car but the horrific dealer service and to have an issue of that magnitude at such an early age/mileage was a huge turnoff. I was burned by Chrysler previously with a 1999 Neon that was pretty much junk by 85k miles and needed more repair work than it was worth (yeah I know entirely different company like 3-4 owners ago) but after the Fiat experience it was enough to make me never want to get near a Chrysler or FCA car ever again.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
after the Fiat experience it was enough to make me never want to get near a Chrysler or FCA car ever again.

Says the man with not one but TWO Volkswagen diesels.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by pezzy669
after the Fiat experience it was enough to make me never want to get near a Chrysler or FCA car ever again.

Says the man with not one but TWO Volkswagen diesels.

LOL - true true. While I have had my fair share of problems with the various Volkswagens I have owned over the years since 2003 (this is my 5th and 6th) the overall ownership experience has been much better than Chrysler.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
If it's anything like this Fiat owners experience, I'd avoid at all costs!
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5224893/1
eek.gif

Well, 1. There's no gas engine to blow up. 2. He paid way too much money for that car. 3. He was quoted way too much money to replace the engine.

I was going to post the same thing: Mine was a gas car, not electric.

The reliability issues of the Fiats are mostly (to my knowledge) engine related. An electric vehicle shouldn't have those issues.

If I had one complaint about mine it would be the dealership experience which was terrible. That might be down to the individual dealer (and their service manager being a lying sack of...) but yeah, I'd rate their warranty as worth less than the paper it's written on.

The price I paid was the market rate (in Canadian dollars, in Alberta where vehicle prices are high).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back