What is this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son found it in our driveway. When I test it with a multi-meter, it appears to be a capacitor. I try and test resistance, and it slowly increases in the MOhm range. I then try to test DC voltage and it slowly decays in the mV range. What on Earth is this thing? Card for size reference.

IMG_2243.jpg

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Ignitor for something i'd say.

For a gas stove maybe? Although it looks too beefy for that application.

Ignitor elements themselves don't have capacitance, nor much resistance. They're just a heat resistant piece of rod to get the wire that attaches to it, far enough away from heat to survive a few years. Odds are that it is broken inside, probably about where you see that dark ring on the insulator.

The real question is how it ended up in your driveway.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Ignitor elements themselves don't have capacitance, nor much resistance. They're just a heat resistant piece of rod to get the wire that attaches to it, far enough away from heat to survive a few years. Odds are that it is broken inside, probably about where you see that dark ring on the insulator.

The real question is how it ended up in your driveway.

I live at the end of a dead end road, and the garbage truck turns around in my driveway once a week...I'm not surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back