'What car should we get...'

Status
Not open for further replies.
'...for the family, high schooler, college, etc.'

Was asked this twice this week. Who else gets this question somewhat frequently? I'm obviously a classic car and airplane guy, so I get this question all the time when in reality if folks knew my taste in cars, I'd be the last person you should ask. I also don't like answering this question.

My answer is almost invariably "Toyota or Honda". Why? because I have direct experience with them, and while most of their vehicles don't appeal to me, they are safe choices and if someone is asking me such an opened ended question, they are most likely looking for an appliance. Now if someone says; "$25K to spend on a fun 2 seater" or "Wrangler for kid?" the discussion is more fun.

What do other folks say?

I would refer them Consumer Reports, this way if things don't work out, they can blame CR and not me for suggesting a specific vehicle.
smile.gif

Personally, I don't make my buying choices based on CR.

I say YES!
HonYotas are always a safe choice.
But, I tell people also to look at most of the competition in a segment "but, pick a segment".

Then test several vehicles in that segment for comfort &/or quiet, utility, MPG, view outward etc. AND, "Have a fricken criteria" for goodness sake! I also tell them and put things into an order of importance.

Buy either and look harder for a solid dealership instead. Its why I am still at Honda and probably wont change. CR hasn't ever impressed me that much. Thats why warranty and state laws are there to protect the consumer to a certain degree. Get what you like and can afford. If you like it then dont worry about anyone else says.Good luck.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I tell them to look foe a well maintained Rambler or Yugo.

Never thought of what I'd say to someone I'm not a fan of...hmmmmm
laugh.gif

I just deflect with that question, I don't want to be "responsible" for all their problems if I say, "I've had zero problems with my XXX" and then they get a lemon, or they expect it to work 300,000 miles with no maintenance. All cars are within a gnats eyelash of each other these days as far as longevity/reliability anyway.

I do the same thing. I recommend a Mercedes and they stop listening to me and go get something else. Of course I drive two of them so that's all I know right now. They have tremendous depreciation and the repairs/maintenance is just a little bit more than a regular car, but not too outrageous. But most people don't seem to believe that. Which is ok with me as that keeps the prices low.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I've started saying "1994 Celica" and they stop asking me.

Try Suzuki Kizashi or Kia Rondo to vary.
Or a Smart (Ease of parking, see Pink Panther newer movie)

I saw 1 or 2 in 1/2 year...

lol.gif

If this was 26 years ago, I'd agree!

Whatever fits their budget and needs.

A car is a car...it is not an investment. It is a depreciating tool designed to get you from point A to point B.

Balance value, practically, reliability and whatever you deem important. Every brand has pros and cons.

Usually depends on what the person's situation is, most of the time end up with a reliable / reputable ride that is big enough (but not too big) that fit the budget. Corolla for college kids, Sienna for family, old Buick Regal for low income family, Prius for long commuters, Mazda 3 for young couples who doesn't want European "reliability" yet still a somewhat fun ride, etc. I almost never recommend SUVs or cross over.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I do the same thing. I recommend a Mercedes and they stop listening to me and go get something else. Of course I drive two of them so that's all I know right now. They have tremendous depreciation and the repairs/maintenance is just a little bit more than a regular car, but not too outrageous. But most people don't seem to believe that. Which is ok with me as that keeps the prices low.

Just a little bit more is an understatement.

Since I'm the car guy of the family, I get it all the time. 99% of the time they go "I'm looking at Car X, what do you think?" I have learned that they're not actually looking for my opinion on said car, they have already decided on said car and they want to hear their decision come from someone else.

I tell them to look up the brands in Consumer Reports for the reliability reports.

If it's a boy going to college, GTI or Mustang if you want grandchildren, that's what I always say!
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Since I'm the car guy of the family, I get it all the time. 99% of the time they go "I'm looking at Car X, what do you think?" I have learned that they're not actually looking for my opinion on said car, they have already decided on said car and they want to hear their decision come from someone else.
That's most threads on here, most people in general actually. They're just doing due diligence so they can tell themselves/others later.

My sis brought a 2011? Accord for me to look at that her mechanic was selling. It had a bunch of peeling paint in the RR door jamb and the trunk panel gaps were all wrong. When she asked him about it turns out it was in an accident in Quebec. She bought it anyway. It had JDM badges, a WAI and was in an accident.....no bueno!

Don't buy cars from mechanics, they know too much.

I get asked that a lot.
I tell them anything from Mazda,Toyota,Honda,KIA and Hyundai is a better choice then American and European brands.
I dont think American or European cars are up to the quality of Asian car companies.
I know the above is controversial but it's my personal opinion backed up with no data at all except 60 years of observation.

Ok Scotty
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back