After adding RP Water Wetter, heat blows hot intermittently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me LS460, 6 weeks and 6k miles (125k total) while in my stable.

Added RP water wetter 2 weeks ago and now my heat blows hot about half the time. No measurable change in engine temps. Removed coolant to add RP WW without overflowing, coolant level has remained constant and at max level since addition.

What in the world is happening here...

Updated: Redline, not RP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Blend door issue, or heater core. Doubt it had anything to do with the water wetter. Just coincidental..

Those are my thoughts as well.

Originally Posted by gr8gatzby

Added RP water wetter 2 weeks ago and now my heat blows hot about half the time. No measurable change in engine temps. Removed coolant to add RP WW without overflowing, coolant level has remained constant and at max level since addition.

There won't be a measurable change in engine temperature unless the water wetter somehow affected the set point of the thermostat, which is highly unlikely.

This is a mechanical problem, not an issue with the coolant.

Originally Posted by Kira
Aren't those water wetters specialty products for 100% water (race car) applications?

Ya, it allegedly enhances heat transfer. In any case, I can't think of why it would impact on the heat transfer by the heater core because coolant temps are inherently hot enough on a fully warmed engine.

Updated: Redline, not RP.

Is the engine getting up to normal operating temps? It's a big V8 no? The only thing I can think of is that the thermostat is beginning to fail or as others have said the heater core itself is getting gummed up.

If the T-stat is fine what about a citrus flush of the cooling system?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

There won't be a measurable change in engine temperature unless the water wetter somehow affected the set point of the thermostat, which is highly unlikely.

Many thanks for the input! Now to tough it out till my extended warranty kicks in on 3/5.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Many thanks for the input! Now to tough it out till my extended warranty kicks in on 3/5.

When did you open the rad? Was it stone cold or close to that?

How did you "remove" AF? Turkey baster?

Maybe run the thing high idle with the cap off untill it starts flowing then see how the level is and if its moveing around.

Also, its a new-to-you car, you may not notice everything going on right off the bat, and many new cars are designed to run cool air out the vents and heat to the feet at a mid temp setting.

You more than likely let air into the cooling system. From your previous thread about being new to Lexus....and having been a Saab owner....it seems the best advice one could give you might be to just service the LS at recommended intervals and drive it. It ain't a Saab!

Originally Posted by gman2304
You more than likely let air into the cooling system. From your previous thread about being new to Lexus....and having been a Saab owner....it seems the best advice one could give you might be to just service the LS at recommended intervals and drive it. It ain't a Saab!

This!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back