Intel or AMD Processor

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I'm shopping for a new laptop. Dell has a line of laptops in their new "Inspiron 5000" series that have either a 10th Generation Intel Core i5 processor with Intel UHD graphics or an AMD Ryzen 5 processor with Radeon Vega 8 graphics. These 2 laptops are essentially the same hardware otherwise, but the AMD/Vega 8 configuration is $50 more.

There are other processor/graphics configurations below and above these, but these sem to be middle of the road options in the price range I'm shopping in 15.6" display laptops ($550~$600 range). I can also get 17% off those prices during their sale promotion.

Anyone know which processor/video configuration between these two would be the better one ... or think not enough difference to really notice?

Any difference in how these processors handle Windows 10 to make someone buy one over the other?

That particular Intel chip benchmarks a little higher on the CPU, but the AMD has better graphics. Assuming you're not going to be pushing either the GPU or the CPU hard, you likely won't notice a difference between the 2.

If you plan on doing some light gaming, I'd go for the AMD.

My preference is AMD.

Can you wait another month or so? The 4000 series AMD chips should start showing up in more quantity and the 3000 series will drop in price a little more.

Always prefer Intel. AMD has always offered more bang for the $ but Intel by a long shot is less likely to encounter stability problems. It has always been this way with AMD vs Intel and I've been there almost since the beginning.

Last edited:
AMD is by a long shot the better value at the moment. For a laptop however the 7nm Ryzen processors are not out yet and it will be worth the wait. On the desktop space, Ryzen is a no brainer. The ol' "I buy Intel because they are more stable" is a load of BS btw and has been for over a decade. There was a time where AMD didn't produce the chipset on their motherboards and they weren't all that great... that was over 15 years ago. I've built and helped build dozens of Ryzen PC's for personal use, friends, and family. Not one had "stability" issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Always prefer Intel. AMD has always offered more bang for the $ but Intel by a long shot is less likely to encounter stability problems. It has always been this way with AMD vs Intel and I've been there almost since the beginning.

What stability problems?

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder

What stability problems?

He tried to install an AMD DX40 to his existing motherboard as an upgrade and it wasn't stable

Given Intel is silently exiting the consumer market anyway this discussion will become more moot

Last edited:
I tend to prefer Intel processors. However, I'll readily admit that's due to previous poor AMD experiences (long ago) and not with current production AMD stuff.

Although it's good to recognize that modern multi core processors are not the bottleneck that we've become accustomed to. Graphics processors and hard drive speed make much more difference.

I recently built a gaming rig with an i9 9900kf, 32gb, M.2 HD and so on. The processor stays 40-45c under hard 4k gaming and shows 35% usage.

M.2, NVMe hard drives can be ultra fast if spec'd correctly. Makes a HUGE difference.

What stability problems?

The typical issues such as heat tolerance. Granted overall they're rare but when they happen it's almost always a machine running an AMD. Forums are littered with more AMD related problems. It has essentially always been this way and was what I experienced myself. A $@#$ PITA

I've been an AMD user for 25 years and never had any random heat or stability issues on any of the machines I built or bought, nor have I ever heard they were more susceptible to those issues than their Intel counterparts. There are too many other factors involved.

I've been an AMD user for 25 years and never had any random heat or stability issues on any of the machines I built or bought, nor have I ever heard they were more susceptible to those issues than their Intel counterparts. There are too many other factors involved.

In the laptop realm, AMD lacked the thermal management that Intel brought with the Core CPU's and they always ran significantly hotter and had much more fan noise and poorer battery life. That's now no longer the case, but was for a very long time.

AMD's biggest issue in the desktop space was back when they weren't producing their own chipsets (so we are going back quite a ways now) and in fact another member and I had a really good discussion on the subject in another thread. Chipsets from ALI, VIA, SiS, ATI and NVidia, the support just was not as good as it was with Intel, whose in-house chipsets were paired with their CPU's on all but the cheapest of garbage, which would usually use VIA.

Now that AMD and ATI are one and that's all under one roof, I've purchased some AMD-based systems and while I find they still don't quite have the refined nature with respect to thermal management that Intel does, that may be on the integrator at this point, which in this case is HP, and not AMD. I'm specifically talking about SFF systems here where maintaining minimum fan noise is usually the goal. The exact same system as an Intel box is quieter because it doesn't run the fan as hard under the same usage profile. I've not had any stability issues either way.

What stability problems?

The typical issues such as heat tolerance. Granted overall they're rare but when they happen it's almost always a machine running an AMD. Forums are littered with more AMD related problems. It has essentially always been this way and was what I experienced myself. A $@#$ PITA

It's funny you say this as right now Intel CPU's run hotter than balls and AMD has a 16 core CPU that uses half the wattage that the equivalent Intel 8 core CPU uses. You are clearly out of touch btw. Check reddit.com/r/intel Dozens of posts daily with Intel CPU related issues. Intel is getting their @$$ handed to them in several segments right now and AMD is about to drop a bombshell with 7nm on laptops and Zen3 on desktop.

Last edited:
Check outside the box with a used maybe 2014-5 Macbook Pro with i7 processor. and ssd. Two days ago I bought one for a family member as a gift and they wanted Apple. So I got q 1500-2000 machine for $450 plus tax. i7 4th gen 16 ram and 256 ssd and latest OS Catalina installed, and very clean. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. I decided to go with the Intel processor. Ended up getting a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop. This will be my Win10 machine for secure banking, etc. Will retain my Win7 desktop for other non-critical chores.

Ended up getting the Intel processor and video. I'm not a gamer, so this should do well for my uses. Decided to use the $50 difference between the AMD and Intel components to upgrade to a 512GB SSD. I shopped Best Buy website for the same level of computer and couldn't find any deals that beat the Dell deal.

10th Generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.6 GHz)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
Intel UHD Graphics with shared graphics memory
8 GB, 1 x 8 GB, DDR4, 2666 MHz
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED Backlight Narrow Boarder Display
Backlight Keyboard with Number Pad
Free Shipping

Price after sale discounts came to $528 plus tax. If I want 16GB total RAM for some reason, I can add another 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz stick for ~$40.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Check outside the box with a used maybe 2014-5 Macbook Pro with i7 processor. and ssd. Two days ago I bought one for a family member as a gift and they wanted Apple. So I got q 1500-2000 machine for $450 plus tax. i7 4th gen 16 ram and 256 ssd and latest OS Catalina installed, and very clean. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

The problem with this approach is that in a year or two, Apple deems your machine obsolete for no good reason and you no longer get OS updates. I have a perfectly good working iMac 2012 with an i5 8GB of RAM and a SSD. It is still a fast PC by today's standards but It's 3 operating systems out of date and won't go beyond Sierra. F Apple.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Thanks for the info. I decided to go with the Intel processor. Ended up getting a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop. This will be my Win10 machine for secure banking, etc. Will retain my Win7 desktop for other non-critical chores.

Ended up getting the Intel processor and video. I'm not a gamer, so this should do well for my uses. Decided to use the $50 difference between the AMD and Intel components to upgrade to a 512GB SSD. I shopped Best Buy website for the same level of computer and couldn't find any deals that beat the Dell deal.

10th Generation Intel Core i5-1035G1 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.6 GHz)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
Intel UHD Graphics with shared graphics memory
8 GB, 1 x 8 GB, DDR4, 2666 MHz
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED Backlight Narrow Boarder Display
Backlight Keyboard with Number Pad

Price after sale discounts came to $528 plus tax. If I want 16GB total RAM for some reason, I can add another 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz stick for ~$40.

That's a perfectly good laptop for your needs.

Back