Equinox/terrain burning oil.. 2015 or later?

We're looking to purchase a used suv and have been looking at the equinox and terrain.. someone on another forum said there were oil consumption issues on the 10-13 models (2.4 liter)... but google shows me some are saying all the way up until 2017? Anyone have any solid information on this? It's hard to find a v6 with decent miles around here and we prefer no turbo (personal preference). Please dont turn this into a chevy bash, I literally just received the pre approval for a loan right before finding all this out (we were looking at 2015 and later models)

do not buy! they never fixed anything. engine continued to be problematic right till the end of the run. buy at your own risk . many other far better options like a Mazda or Toyota. . do more research and you will see the 2.4 is a bad engine in any year it was made.

Originally Posted by super20dan
do not buy! they never fixed anything. engine continued to be problematic right till the end of the run. buy at your own risk . many other far better options like a Mazda or Toyota. . do more research and you will see the 2.4 is a bad engine in any year it was made.

This

I have a 2011 GMC Terrain 2.4 EcoTech and had to have the extended warranty engine rebuild to fix the oil consumption problem. The main culprit was bad piston ring design that they fixed in May 2013 so after that there really has not been to many reports of that problem. However it was also discovered that there is a major flaw in the PCV system that if driven in very cold weather, like single digit cold, it can freeze up and blow the rear main seal. All in all I have to agree with the other posters, don't buy the I4 of any year Terrain, get the V6 if you can find one, or look for a something more reliable like a Toyota. You can find all the problems and reason not to buy the 2.4 over at https://www.terrainforum.net/

Don't do it, they are modern PT Cruizers, big economy cars with problems that cost far too much to maintain for what they are. You want:
1) Toyota Rav4
2) Mazda CX5
3) Pre Earthdreams Honda CR-V

The bulletin covering oil consumption due to pistons and rings is #13-06-01-003J and covers a number 2010-2013 vehicles with the 2.5L. There are no bulletins for later model vehicles with the 2.5L.

FWIW, I owned two Equinox from that generation, a 2012 and a 2016. Neither had any oil consumption issues. My brother has a 2011 with 150,000 miles that doesn't consumer any oil. It blew out the rear main last winter when the PCV port froze, so not all roses, but it's never consumed oil.

For the PCV port freezing, GM makes a vented oil fill cap [GM p/n 12589430 or AC Delco p/n FC219] that has a one-way valve to prevent over-pressurization of the crankcase if the PCV port freezes. At $10, it buys some cheap peace of mind if you get a 2.5L.

My wife has a 2015 Equinox 2.5 L 135,000. We are the orig. owner. I change oil at 30% on OLM and filter. Whatever Syn. is on sale at Wally World. My wife is a realtor she drives it hard. No oil consumption no other problems. Just follow maint. in owners manual.

My parents recently Purchased a 2017 Terrain with 50K miles. I did lots of reading pre-purchase and it seems few have issues past the 2015 model year.

Just installed a long block in a customer's Terrain for exactly this. Parts and labor, including a control arm and a brake caliper, $8200. No thanks.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
The bulletin covering oil consumption due to pistons and rings is #13-06-01-003J and covers a number 2010-2013 vehicles with the 2.5L. There are no bulletins for later model vehicles with the 2.5L.

FWIW, I owned two Equinox from that generation, a 2012 and a 2016. Neither had any oil consumption issues. My brother has a 2011 with 150,000 miles that doesn't consumer any oil. It blew out the rear main last winter when the PCV port froze, so not all roses, but it's never consumed oil.

For the PCV port freezing, GM makes a vented oil fill cap [GM p/n 12589430 or AC Delco p/n FC219] that has a one-way valve to prevent over-pressurization of the crankcase if the PCV port freezes. At $10, it buys some cheap peace of mind if you get a 2.5L.

I'm not aware of the Equinox ever getting the 2.5L??

The Direct Injected 2.4L (LEA) is a POS, Even if GM fixed the oil consumption issues.....It will need a Timing Chain before 200,000 miles.

I'm still on the fence regarding the 3.6L (LFX), The few I've done Timing Chains on were obviously neglected. Still not nearly as prone as the LLT 3.6L!!

Had a 2010 equinox bought july 2009. Had 2.4. Yes, it was very early production. But stay away. Had the oil consumption issue, rust after 6 years (in Ky, and I kept it washed and waxed), and a huge engine repair at 56k under warranty (high pressure fuel pump, valves, lots of other stuff). I think they eventually fixed the cylinder liners for the oil consumption, but I think the fuel pump issue and dirty valves of the DI design never got changed.

Had to replace the timing chain on mine @ 110K miles. The oil was changed every 3 to 5K miles and the engine was clean inside. Outside of that nary an issue. I'm still driving it, changing the oil every 3K to 3.5K miles now. It uses a good 1 to 1.5 quarts of synthetic oil every 3 to 3.5K miles.

My next similar vehicle will be a Mazda CX-5 or CX-30 for the wifoid and younger family members. Though I love my 2006 5.3L Silverado, I'm not planning on another GM product. A Ford gas truck and Mazda SUV's are in my future... perhaps even a Hyundai. I like the sound of a new F-150 with a 5L Coyote.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. I've been looking at some 2017s, was hoping issues would have been fixed by then.

I would stay clear of these vehicles, oil consumption won't be your only problem...had a customer the other day lose reverse entirely on his 2015. 40,000 miles.

He tried to trade it in...got all the way to a trade deal...until they went to test drive it and it wouldn't back up.

Well... how are the mazda 2.5 engines? Looks like the cx5 is close to the equinox in interior dimensions... I'd like an edge (we have a 2012fusion 3.0 now and its reliable) and I have a 11 5.0 f150... but the edge is a little out of price and the escape is a tad small.

So we may hold out for a v6 equinox/terrain or look into the cx5... havent heard any good or bad on their 2.5l... that might be a good thing lol... never looked into mazdas... are they reliable? Engine and trannys ok?

Originally Posted by sh40674
Well... how are the mazda 2.5 engines? Looks like the cx5 is close to the equinox in interior dimensions... I'd like an edge (we have a 2012fusion 3.0 now and its reliable) and I have a 11 5.0 f150... but the edge is a little out of price and the escape is a tad small.

So we may hold out for a v6 equinox/terrain or look into the cx5... havent heard any good or bad on their 2.5l... that might be a good thing lol... never looked into mazdas... are they reliable? Engine and trannys ok?

If you're open to a CX5, I would go that route. Their engine and transmission combo is a solid setup and they're proven to be reliable. My wife piles the miles on her car and we're thinking of going the Mazda CX5 or CX9 route when the time comes. Read and watch all of the reviews in print and on youtube, then go drive one, you'll be impressed.

I think we will. I found one locally with 60k on it... a tad higher miles than we wanted but its AWD and in our price range.

I'll run it by the wife.. looks fine to me. I think I got it narrowed down to a v6 chevy, the mazda or an edge, whichever one falls into our price range (dont want to go over 14.5k... we literally closed on 16 acres of hunting land 2 days ago lol)

Back