401 K took a beating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that manufacturing is basically done after the last parts in the supply chain are gone in a month, it will take months if not years to recover that, and of course you have people who will not be buying or buying only essentials until they get scarce. Brace for it folks this is different, really different.

Somehow I am struggling to buy into the hype that this is the apocalypse and is leading to another Great Depression.

Call me skeptical.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Somehow I am struggling to buy into the hype that this is the apocalypse and is leading to another Great Depression.

Call me skeptical.

Every time the markets dip the nervous nellies panic and run for the hills. For the markets it's a healthy cleansing.

The fundamentals are still strong. There is no Depression coming.

In 1987 it was Dow down 22% in one day, Nasdaq 11%. That was a market driven correction. In two years the market was fully recovered.

This is emotionally driven. This virus is only slightly more dangerous than the seasonal flu, but people are freaking out like I have not seen before. It may even die off when the weather warms. And by fall there will be a vaccine.

If you sell now out of panic, expect to take a hit on the way down and on the way up. Emotional investors that sell after a 12% selloff based in nothing but fear (not fundamentals or weak earnings) don't have the foresight to buy again until prices are high again.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Every time the markets dip the nervous nellies panic and run for the hills. For the markets it's a healthy cleansing.

Fueled by the alternative media apparently. I don't listen to the radio at 2 A.M. so maybe I'm missing out on "more truth."

When the Great Recession hit I let it all ride, I had quite a while till I retired. I was in large cap, small cap, Russell index and euro stocks. After the meltdown many I worked with swapped into a guaranteed fund that didn't pay much but at least you wouldn't loose your shirt. Of course by selling low they did loose their shirt. 6 years later I retired, with my fund in great shape. If things go a bit lower, I've got my eye on a few stocks I'd like to pick up at a discount.

No one really knows how deadly the virus really is, but the recent hysteria is because it has spread much faster outside of China. I guess they are just really hardy or something.

If they manipulated case totals, do y'think they manipulated death totals?

"slightly more dangerous than the seasonal flu" LOL.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by PimTac

Fueled by the alternative media apparently. I don't listen to the radio at 2 A.M. so maybe I'm missing out on "more truth."

The truth is out there somewhere.

The day may come when we go into a secular bear market. Unfortunately you don't know you are in one until it's too late. The last secular bear was 1966-1982.

Events like these show a person's risk tolerance. If you cannot handle dips like this then you should revisit your allocations.

Originally Posted by double vanos
When the Great Recession hit I let it all ride, I had quite a while till I retired. I was in large cap, small cap, Russell index and euro stocks. After the meltdown many I worked with swapped into a guaranteed fund that didn't pay much but at least you wouldn't loose your shirt. Of course by selling low they did loose their shirt. 6 years later I retired, with my fund in great shape. If things go a bit lower, I've got my eye on a few stocks I'd like to pick up at a discount.

Yeah I took a 40% beating in the 08 joke. Stuck A good chunk in ATK and gold that worked out very well. Since then in an attempt to hit the target we've had to be aggressive and risky. It was all working very well till Monday. Small percentages on very large pots scares the heck out of me when I am ready to retire at 57 right now.

Yes, slightly more dangerous than the seasonal flu. The flu kills about 60k people in the USA alone each year. Right now, ZERO people have died from this virus in the USA. Overall the mortality rate for the flu is about 2%. Corona is about 3%.

Freak out and sell low and rebuy high. See how that works for you.

Feb 1995 the dow was at 4,000
Feb 2000 - 10,400
Feb 2005 - 10,800
Feb 2010 - 10,100
Feb 2015 - 17,800
Feb 2020 - 25,800

I am almost 67 years old, my portfolio is down about 1.9% YTD. Part of that is gifting, not all market movement.
I won't say how much the dollar value is.
Half is conservative, half is crazy, and a bunch of cash is in CA Municipal Bonds Fund because it is tax free, both Fed and 10% CA.

I also expect Silicon Valley housing to drop, which is good for buyers. It already has...
I wish everyone luck. It seems like we have come to consider the past 11 years as normal. It ain't.
I believe the market will be up perhaps 5% over 2020. Once the China supply chain recovers and China gets back to work, school, play, etc. the strong fundamentals will work.

Last edited:
No emails or texts from the advisor this week so... I'm thinking he's gonna ride for awhile at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back