06 Camry Coolant??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got me a nice used 06 Camry in great shape.

I am gonna change the coolant.

Currently it has some Advance universal coolant in it.

I am gonna drain, flush real good with distilled water, and refill with ether something like the Valvoline coolant made for japanese cars, or the Toyota coolant. ''

Any real differences or pitfalls with one vs the other?

(I'm mainly concerned about the lubricant package. Does the OEM toyota package differ in any significant ways? Anyone happen to know who makes the Toyota coolant (in other words-is it really something like Peak or Zerex in a fancy can?)

Lubricant package?

Between the two you mention there are no significant differences. Either will work and I have used both in my two old Toyota vehicles.

Don't think it's going to make any difference which coolant you run. If you're going to go to all that trouble to flush out the universal, I'd put genuine Toyota in it. I ran Advance universal coolant in my 2004 Rav4 without any issues.

I'd use the genuine Toyota coolant. If you're going to go through the trouble of flushing the system with distilled water, why put something in there that will be in there for the next 5 years, just to save a four or five bucks? You'll probably have that coolant in there for 60,000 miles. It's not like you're going to have to change it every 5,000 miles like oil.

Coolant is that one fluid where I just use OE because it isn't changed frequently enough to bother shopping around. Just my opinion.

The brand name "OEM" specs Asian Pink for a 2006 Camry. In the Zerex product line it is Asian Vehicle Pink for Toyota, Lexus and Scion. However, it doesn't differentiate it from Blue in the PI sheet. According to Zerex, Blue is for Hyundai, Nissan, and Subaru. To make it more confusing Zerex also makes a Pink for heavy duty diesels.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Just drain and refill. I would do another drain and refill after 10000 miles then leave it till 5 years 50000 miles.

Originally Posted by Railrust
I'd use the genuine Toyota coolant. If you're going to go through the trouble of flushing the system with distilled water, why put something in there that will be in there for the next 5 years, just to save a four or five bucks? You'll probably have that coolant in there for 60,000 miles. It's not like you're going to have to change it every 5,000 miles like oil.

Coolant is that one fluid where I just use OE because it isn't changed frequently enough to bother shopping around. Just my opinion.

+1. Just make sure you get the Pink Toyota Fluid and keep your heater on MAX while cycling the Distilled water and while draining it.

You ought to check out some of those coolant filling contraptions. They are wonderful!

+1 on Toyota pink. Besides being good stuff, I like it when the coolant is the "correct color". That can help you if, for some unforeseen reason, you decide to sell the car.

In my case G-05 is a good substitute for the dark blue Volvo coolant (G-48?) but I want to use Volvo coolant in my current vehicle for the above reasons.

Also, those vacuum system fillers.....how do they work? From whence is the coolant sucked up or in? Where do you attach it?

NOTE: Yes on distilled water. I busted my "lower back" draining and rinsing my friends cooling system The ancient stuff smelled horrible (really organic, urine like smell).
He wouldn't go for distilled water. He pulled a "poor me, I ain't got no money" act. Infuriating.
Now his coolant is cloudy due to the minerals in his ground water.
His son's car (which I also did) was sporting crystal clear Dex-Cool when he sold it because we used distilled.

Is this type of water OK ?

https://watermillexpress.com/

I currently own all GM vehicles . I just drop the lower radiator hose & drain the system as well as it will.

After inspecting the radiator cap , belt and hoses , re-connect everything and add a gallon or so of the appropriate 100% coolant .

Burp the system as needed . Make sure the tstat is functioning OK .

Drive as normal .

Repeat the process every few years .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back