8 passenger vehicle typically 5 for <=$15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sienna gets my vote.
First of all, no SUV, full size or not, will have room like a minivan. My parents in law have 2005 Pilot and 2011 Pilot that we use when we go to Las Vegas (often) and it is just no comparison to Sienna in room. Also, Pilot on average uses more gas, VCM or not.
Second, practicality is on a side of minivan bcs. sliding doors, and bcs. of shape, third row is actual row. Pilots third row is better than usual, but small. Tahoe compared to Sienna is simply awful in third row due to rear suspension not being independent, which means seats are very low and knees will end up high when sitting.
Someone mentioned engine. Under no circumstances go with 4cyl Sienna. With 8 passengers and luggage that would be awful to drive.
Edit: Sienna has this weird middle seat in second row. I have a 7 seat version with captain chairs in second row. Not sure does 8 seat version has this small md seat that kind of fits between left and right seat. I would check if you go with Sienna whether that would cut for you. Also, one more advantage for SIenna over ANY other minivan is availability of AWD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Sienna gets my vote.
First of all, no SUV, full size or not, will have room like a minivan. My parents in law have 2005 Pilot and 2011 Pilot that we use when we go to Las Vegas (often) and it is just no comparison to Sienna in room. Also, Pilot on average uses more gas, VCM or not.
Second, practicality is on a side of minivan bcs. sliding doors, and bcs. of shape, third row is actual row. Pilots third row is better than usual, but small. Tahoe compared to Sienna is simply awful in third row due to rear suspension not being independent, which means seats are very low and knees will end up high when sitting.
Someone mentioned engine. Under no circumstances go with 4cyl Sienna. With 8 passengers and luggage that would be awful to drive.
Edit: Sienna has this weird middle seat in second row. I have a 7 seat version with captain chairs in second row. Not sure does 8 seat version has this small md seat that kind of fits between left and right seat. I would check if you go with Sienna whether that would cut for you.
Also, one more advantage for SIenna over ANY other minivan is availability of AWD.

(to help OP)
...Because both you and OP/Madriver are skiers.
Also, I think you posted winter performance with winter tires.

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life
Originally Posted by madRiver
We are interested in an 8 passenger vehicle that seats 5 in two rows with lots of cargo under $15k and
Wife likes Sienna and Honda Pilot. Looking to keep around 5 years and move on.

For 8 passenger I vote for a good used 5.3 Suburban.

For the OP's budget-it well be VERY USED-and hopefully taken care of.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by edyvw
Sienna gets my vote.
Edit: Sienna has this weird middle seat in second row. I have a 7 seat version with captain chairs in second row. Not sure does 8 seat version has this small md seat that kind of fits between left and right seat. I would check if you go with Sienna whether that would cut for you.
Also, one more advantage for SIenna over ANY other minivan is availability of AWD.

(to help OP)
...Because both you and OP/Madriver are skiers.
Also, I think you posted winter performance with winter tires.

AWD is not as sophisticated as in most vehicles, but does its job, especially with good snow tires (I have Xi2). One thing is that AWD does not have spare tire! It does not have compartment for spare tire. I bought donut wheel and tire and just secured it in. AWD Sienna will come with 235/55 R18, probably Bridgestone Driveguards RFT (awful in anything resembling slick conditions). I for winter downsized to 235/60 R17 (I think it is 60, or it could be 65, not sure) and honestly with Michelins, regardless it is size down, it is more compliant (it could be bcs. they are not RFT).
If spare is not an option to tag along in vehicle, OP should think twice about AWD as choice of RFT's are not that great for Sienna.
On other hand AWD helps A LOT with torque steer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back