What happened at Hyundai dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 2 Hyundai's last year from the same dealership and sales person. I was looking for a vehicle in late Jan and stopped by to look again . The sales guy told me that there was some kind of shake up at Hyundai goin on starting 2/1

So I go in again after 2/1 and ask for my sales guy. Was told he does not work there anymore. In fact when I went in I did not recognize anyone there . I have been there in the past 6 to 7 times

So today I get a notice from Hyundai that my kid Tucson need a flash to the ecm . I call the dealer , which is different from the one I bought it from and ask for the service writer I got last time I was there . Was told he no longer works there anymore

Anyone know what happened on 2/1 at Hyundai? All I could find was that they had some kind of reorg . This reorg must have been pretty bad for the sales guy for all of them to leave or be canned .

Do what the skinny?

Went by our's a week ago and there was no change. Nothing here either...https://thekoreancarblog.com/category/all-news/

Probably just a change up at your dealership specifically. Sounds like it was sold and a new staff took over- not an entirely uncommon thing to happen to smaller dealerships.

My Hyundai dealer taken over by a multi brand group a few months ago. My favorite technician is gone. The Svc Manager who has been there at least ten years, is gone. No deals on oil changes. (Wants to bundle, buy one get two free). I decided to go to another dealer for service, who gave me a good price on an oil change. If/when new place tries to cheat me, I will go to my local independent shop.

Originally Posted by ctrcbob
My Hyundai dealer taken over by a multi brand group a few months ago. My favorite technician is gone. The Svc Manager who has been there at least ten years, is gone. No deals on oil changes. (Wants to bundle, buy one get two free). I decided to go to another dealer for service, who gave me a good price on an oil change. If/when new place tries to cheat me, I will go to my local independent shop.

These big dealership groups turn bad situations into worse ones if that is possible.

If you ever wondered if the $tealership "bidness" can get worse, the answer is clearly yes.

Maybe the two dealerships are owned by the same corporation? The two Mazda dealers in my area are owned by the same person.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
Anyone know what happened on 2/1 at Hyundai? All I could find was that they had some kind of reorg.

You realize that dealerships are independently-owned and anything that happens at Hyundai (at the corporate level), has nothing to do with dealership operations ?

I'd suggest Googling your local news for information.

It could have been taken over by new owners but... I worked for a Lexus Dealership for a little while and Toyota corporate with the "Lexus plus" one price deal. Some dealerships chose it and got better allocation. Ours didn't. Our commission went from $425 a vehicle plus commission for tint etc. To $225 a vehicle. Needless to say the competing dealership no longer has "Lexus plus" pricing after being purchased.

No more Hyundai for us. Leased a 2013 Elantra. They would not even put it on the rack and check balance, or rotate tires, for a tire problem that was there from mile 1. All they would do is a visual inspection. Did nothing about grinding brakes un the rain (this was not surface rust from sitting overnight - the second it rained the brakes would grind). Was in the market for a 3 row SUV 5 months ago and never looked at Hyundai or Kia, bad service and they are way too proud $$$ of their new offerings.

I had something similar happen at a Toyota dealership I worked at. Dealer sold off when Toyota decided that it knew better. We had a good thing going with all the customers coming in far maintenance and the reason I left Chevrolet. Mad customers to say the least. We gave away oil changes on big tickets as well as sold oil change packets. Lots of people bought new since you got oil change for life so lots of maintenance. Toyota cut the commission for dealership as well as pulled the top level service badge. As I said it got ugly. New owners, sales,techs etc. with most been there over 20 years. We all lost benefits but mostly lost customers. Went to buy a car a few years back and some shady deals going on. All they would tell me is I won't beat their prices but would never give me final price even after credit only tell me to sign documents with final price and finance done will I see final price. I left.

One thing that started on 2/1/20 was Hyundai offering complimentary maintenance for the first 36,000 miles on new vehicle purchases. Doubt that has any correlation to what you experienced.

Originally Posted by reemoe2
complimentary maintenance for the first 36,000 miles on new vehicle purchases.

Semi-syn QS 5-30 in a turbo no thanks.

I asked the service manager for an oil change deal w\me providing the oil. He agreed if I bought the OEM filter. Ended up paying another $3.50 for the crush washer, but overall it was a decent deal.

Time goes by I call the SM & leave a message inquiring if the OC deal was still good. No return call.

I need something looked at, so I find myself at the dealer. New SM & I mentioned the never returned phone call.

Standing outside of his office I hear my message as he goes through old messages. I walk in & he immediately erases the message w\o acknowledging to me whilst I'm standing right there.

He goes into this spiel about how he's there to make money.

Imagine my surprise.when he introduced himself and his last name matched the name of the dealership....

Last edited:
Nice story and no surprise.
I would have told the SM to use the old washer, instead of paying $3.50. They cannot require you to change it. They make a note of the used washer on your receipt.

Originally Posted by Sayonara_Sonata
Originally Posted by reemoe2
complimentary maintenance for the first 36,000 miles on new vehicle purchases.

Semi-syn QS 5-30 in a turbo no thanks.

I asked the service manager for an oil change deal w\me providing the oil. He agreed if I bought the OEM filter. Ended up paying another $3.50 for the crush washer, but overall it was a decent deal.

Time goes by I call the SM & leave a message inquiring if the OC deal was still good. No return call.

I need something looked at, so I find myself at the dealer. New SM & I mentioned the never returned phone call.

Standing outside of his office I hear my message as he goes through old messages. I walk in & he immediately erases the message w\o acknowledging to me whilst I'm standing right there.

He goes into this spiel about how he's there to make money.

Imagine my surprise.when he introduced himself and his last name matched the name of the dealership....

This is why the call them "$tealerships" nothing has changed with this bidness model and this is why the business as it stands needs to be restructured from the ground up.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Never mind. Not worth the effort.

I saw your original post before you edited it.
wink.gif

But we are not going to agree, but that is what discussion forums will have from time to time.
thumbsup2.gif

Yes, I understand that the forum owners can do whatever they want, no disagreement on that. I only wish they would possibly warn those that aren't outright trolls before
locking a thread or banning members if possible. Most folks here like myself are happy to edit threads if the mods want it or delete them too. Only a tiny minority don't care.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back