Using ramps for oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, superfat_dad here from Boca Raton, FL

I was wondering, is it better to drive the front of a Kia Sorento on front ramps to elevate the front to do an oil change, or perhaps use 4 ramps to elevate all 4 tires and keep the car level?

Will it make a difference as far as how much oil you drain out? my concern with elevating the front only is that the tilt might leave some oil trapped in the oil pan

What are your thoughts?

I'd only use ramps in the front. Every oil pan I've seen has the drain at the back. You'll always leave some oil trapped in the engine.

Have you seen it with your own eyes? Trust your eye.
Get a real wheel chock so you be safe if you find yourself on uneven ground.
Friend's Subaru 1.7l (1985 GL) had a forward facing pan drain. Hmmm...a while back.
Get a spouted catch pan. Be certain the spout goes into an oil jug for clean transfers.

[Linked Image]

my concern with elevating the front only is that the tilt might leave some oil trapped in the oil pan

If the drain plug is in the rear of the pan, you will actually get MORE oil out just raising the front. Regardless, the amount of oil left in the pan would be minimal.

Don't try to use 4 ramps, just don't. It's not safe. If the vehicle were high enough to place the back ramps, you should be able to crawl underneath with it on the ground.

Originally Posted by superfat_dad
Hello everyone, superfat_dad here from Boca Raton, FL

I was wondering, is it better to drive the front of a Kia Sorento on front ramps to elevate the front to do an oil change, or perhaps use 4 ramps to elevate all 4 tires and keep the car level?

Will it make a difference as far as how much oil you drain out? my concern with elevating the front only is that the tilt might leave some oil trapped in the oil pan

What are your thoughts?

Now that the fine folks here helped you with your ramps concern, tell us what oil - what viscosity and what filter you-uzin'.
Welcome to Bitog BTW.....

wow! you guys rock, all answers are truly appreciated. THANK YOU

Hey just for kicks and giggles, did you know the new Sorento now has an undercarriage cover that MUST be removed to access oil filter and drain? held up by 17 screws! this is why I have to elevate it on ramps, otherwise, I could've easily reached it while its parked. Talk about ingenious engineering!

Now that the fine folks here helped you with your ramps concern, tell us what oil - what viscosity and what filter you-uzin'.
Welcome to Bitog BTW.....[/quote]

Thank you!!
Its a GDI so my concern is oil's volatility, need something with great resistance to evaporation which ends up making a mess of a carbon build-up on these engines, after careful research of Noack I have decided to go with PENNZOIL Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic as it, it is readily available at your local Walmart and comes 2nd on the test, First place being Red Line and 3rd being AMSOIL.

As for filter, these KIA's use a cartridge filter, I ended up grabbing one from the dealer yesterday for $10.55 including a crush washer & seals.

It's a brand new car, just broke 700 miles, and I really want to switch it to full synthetic right away

Originally Posted by wdn
I drive up on Rhino Ramps for the front wheels, put on the parking brake, then use these rubber wheel chock behind the rear wheels.

https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-rubber-wheel-chock-96479.html

Love those rhino ramps. I just use homemade chalks made from 4x4 or 2 2x4 scraps screwed together cut at an 45 degree angle.
No need to level the car as it'll drain even better angled rear end down.

Originally Posted by mk378
Don't try to use 4 ramps, just don't. It's not safe. If the vehicle were high enough to place the back ramps, you should be able to crawl underneath with it on the ground.

How so? I put my Jeeps in 4L take my foot off the brake and it goes up onto 4 ramps with little to no stepping on the gas. It makes for rustproofing, transmission pan drops, servicing the differentials, transfer case service, etc. very easy. I do put jack stands under it for an added measure of safety.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The two ramps on the front wheels will be fine
smile.gif

Unless they don't lift the vehicle up far enough for you to fit, I guess.

Originally Posted by superfat_dad
Talk about ingenious engineering!

It's there for good reason. Are you going to leave it off after you do your oil change ?

A battery powered driver with a magnetic tip will make life much easier as far as that undercover goes. Too bad Kia didn't think of a access panel.

Those covers do keep things clean and provide aerodynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back