Ford Edge owners chime in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Surveys are not real data of reliability but they do a great job masquerading as such. And there is no way of knowing how much screening is going on with these surveys anyways. When you have models thar are mechanically very similar, but with different brand names and they are far apart as far as reliability goes, the data is tainted.

If all these companies truly were on the side of customers, they would obtain warranty repair data. That's the only imperical source of problem data. But it will never happen.

Pricing warranty extensions and length of extension is a pretty good tool, then, as they must be privy to said data to make it sensible to offer it at a certain price without losing their shirt.

Asking on a forum is like Consumer Reports. But only a few dozen responders, typically. I'll take CR over that.

Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by grampi

I have learned to take CR's ratings with a grain of salt. They always rate the imports better than the domestics, and most of the time by a wide margin, when in reality I'm not seeing that much of a gap anymore. Are the imports better? In some cases, yes, but it isn't night and day like it used to be in the past, and not like CR's ratings would have you believe...

You are free to believe whatever you like, however the Consumer Reports reliability ratings all come from surveys sent in by actual owners of those vehicles, who once put down their own good money just like you are about to, including the Ford Edge. Those are not the same guys writing the magazine articles, they are the car owners themselves. But, it's your money.

I didn't say I ignore their ratings, I just don't take them as gospel...it sounds like you do....

Originally Posted by dblshock
1.) Don't take your good Toyota monies to a Ford dealer.

What is this supposed to mean?

Originally Posted by wdn

I have learned to take CR's ratings with a grain of salt. They always rate the imports better than the domestics, and most of the time by a wide margin, when in reality I'm not seeing that much of a gap anymore. Are the imports better? In some cases, yes, but it isn't night and day like it used to be in the past, and not like CR's ratings would have you believe...

You are free to believe whatever you like, however the Consumer Reports reliability ratings all come from surveys sent in by actual owners of those vehicles, who once put down their own good money just like you are about to, including the Ford Edge. Those are not the same guys writing the magazine articles, they are the car owners themselves. But, it's your money.

I didn't say I ignore their ratings, I just don't take them as gospel...it sounds like you do....

Not completely, but literally every vehicle I have owned has done exactly what CR would lead you to believe it would do. The difference between me, and a lot of people on here, is t hat I try to keep a vehicle for 100K miles at a minimum, and it's over that time that issues tend to be made known. If I were trading out of cars every 60K miles, I'd buy anything I fancied and not give one rip about CR or any forum posts or anything. They'll all go that long, even the FCA products should be bliss to 60.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by wdn

Not completely, but literally every vehicle I have owned has done exactly what CR would lead you to believe it would do. The difference between me, and a lot of people on here, is t hat I try to keep a vehicle for 100K miles at a minimum, and it's over that time that issues tend to be made known. If I were trading out of cars every 60K miles, I'd buy anything I fancied and not give one rip about CR or any forum posts or anything. They'll all go that long, even the FCA products should be bliss to 60.

100K on today's vehicles is nothing. ANY of them should be able to do that with ease, unless the owner just completely neglects the vehicle...heck, my '04 Corolla has 405K and still going strong...

100K on today's vehicles is nothing. ANY of them should be able to do that with ease, unless the owner just completely neglects the vehicle...heck, my '04 Corolla has 405K and still going strong...

I thought your Corolla was burning oil?

Originally Posted by Ws6

Asking on a forum is like Consumer Reports. But only a few dozen responders, typically. I'll take CR over that.

Yet, here you are participating and sharing your own opinion, instead of just reading CR. You don't value the opinions expressed here, yet you expect others to value yours somehow. Hmm...

I have gotten some great advice on this forum. I hope that some of my posts were also helpful.

There is also a lot of entertaining posts, petty arguing and all sorts of other stuff. Lots of my posts fall into the useless category. But that's what you get when such a diverse group of people have a common platform to express their opinion.

But I have yet to see anybody try to extract any sort of data from BITOG posts. Its pretty clear people simply express their opinion and nobody tries to claim some sort of expert knowledge when it comes to these generic topics. We all express our opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton

I thought your Corolla was burning oil?

It does, has been since about 150K miles, but it hasn't gotten any worse. Lots of vehicles burn oil, that doesn't make them undrivable. What's you're point?

Last edited:
I will use CR as one resource out of several...I do not take their stuff as gospel at all. I have had too many cars they said were [censored] on wheels that were just fine. Nevertheless I do think their surveys are useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back