Changed my ATF, difference is crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Blkstanger
It's amazing what a little maintenance will do. I did a ATF fluid exchange on my Escape and while it was shifting fine before hand I could feel a difference. It will be done every 50k.

Yeah, well, I noticed a difference when changing ATF in my Escape but I was told that it's all placebo so you must be just as crazy as me
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dogememe
Blkstanger said:
Yeah, well, I noticed a difference when changing ATF in my Escape but I was told that it's all placebo so you must be just as crazy as me
wink.gif

Most modern automatic cars (last twenty five years) have fuzzy logic assistance and the unit can learn certain things including react to the condition of the fluid used, so it wouldn't surprise me if when you change a large amount of old worn out fluid and put new it the unit changes it's programming a bit based on that and you will probably feel a difference most of the time it is small but it might be more obvious the more worn out the old fluid was.

I do know at least in my case it made a real difference and not just placebo effect because I gave some friends a ride to school and even they commented about how much smoother my car felt now.

Next on my list is replacing the dual-pump II fluid in the diff, I know that is also far overdue.

Originally Posted by supton
Not everyone buys their cars brand new... my '99 Camry came to me with 140k on the clock and what I presume was OEM fluid, gauging by the color of what came out. One flush got red fluid in it, a second got most of any residual black stuff.

Was this a drain and refill or a "complete flush" ??

Probably be doing a drain/fill on my parents 2015 escape and my brothers 2013 edge next month since they are both at the 50 and 60k mark

since there aren't many Mercon LV equivalent fluids in my area I'll probably be ordering OEM motorcraft fluid from amazon

I'll ask them afterwards if they feel any difference with the fluid change.

all my vehicles are older and I haven't really noticed much of a difference when I change the fluid in those but I keep the fluid pretty clean with a drain/fill here and there so maybe because of that I don't have any issues.

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
Probably be doing a drain/fill on my parents 2015 escape and my brothers 2013 edge next month since they are both at the 50 and 60k mark

since there aren't many Mercon LV equivalent fluids in my area I'll probably be ordering OEM motorcraft fluid from amazon

I'll ask them afterwards if they feel any difference with the fluid change.

all my vehicles are older and I haven't really noticed much of a difference when I change the fluid in those but I keep the fluid pretty clean with a drain/fill here and there so maybe because of that I don't have any issues.

I found Motorcraft LV to be meh. Maxlife shifts better. Currently have some Maxlife and some AMSOIL Signature LV ATF in there.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Not everyone buys their cars brand new... my '99 Camry came to me with 140k on the clock and what I presume was OEM fluid, gauging by the color of what came out. One flush got red fluid in it, a second got most of any residual black stuff.

Was this a drain and refill or a "complete flush" ??

Complete flush each time. Drain the pan (dropped first time to clean magnets), refill. Then pull the cooler line and run 4 quarts (forget the number) until clean fluid comes out.

Castrol's full synthetic ATF is licensed by Ford, i.e. 100% approved by them, for Mercon LV. Warren has their own MAG1 ATF that is also fully licensed but that's often hard to find locally. It is available on Amazon but the 1-quart pricing isn't attractive so get the 6-pack or 1-gallon (??) packaging. Lastly, Warren makes SuperTech ATF that is also fully licensed by Ford for LV. You can get that at Walmart for ~$6/quart.

If it was gray coming out, I would have done a full fluid exchange. The "little at time" change IMO is good only when it's good fluid coming out--which this does not sound like--so the old contaminated fluid is still circulating around. It's just not as bad as it was. Better than nothing but still no great.

However I've never heard of gray fluid coming out, and I have to wonder if this is just a Hail Mary pass... that's tossed at the end of the game.
21.gif
Hopefully not.

The "grey" fluid was that special Honda "lifetime fluid". Its life was over and had turned grey.

Yeap, regular ATF changes do help not only with transmission function but also longevity.
Just do D/F every 30K miles and sleep well. Especially if MaxLife can be used as it's reasonably priced at WM.

I have to wonder why Toyota does not recommend periodic ATF services. Especially the 1st one...
Over on the Lexus GS forum, members will skin you alive for suggesting servicing our transmissions.
"You think you know better than the Lexus engineers?"
I just say I have no opinion on their engineers; I just don't believe in lifetime fluids.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Castrol's full synthetic ATF is licensed by Ford, i.e. 100% approved by them, for Mercon LV. Warren has their own MAG1 ATF that is also fully licensed but that's often hard to find locally. It is available on Amazon but the 1-quart pricing isn't attractive so get the 6-pack or 1-gallon (??) packaging. Lastly, Warren makes SuperTech ATF that is also fully licensed by Ford for LV. You can get that at Walmart for ~$6/quart.

I had looked around but didn't care for the quantities and pricing some those were packaged in. Already ordered the motorcraft fluid. Maybe next time

In Japan they change oil every 5K km and ATF every 40K km. Regular service.
One short sample video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5TLa6IfF-Y

We replace oil, brake fluid, coolant but not ATF? The fluid that gets solid metal particles shed into and normally has a cooler and a filter to pass thru, for a reason? Why would it be and can it be 'lifetime'?
Warranty lifetime, yes, not gonna last 20 years and 300K miles without issues thou, IMHO.

But those who change cars every 3 years wouldn't care.

Last edited:
Go to the video and see the differences between the two idiograms for "mileage in" and "mileage out".

It's amazing how different they are.

The video is useless due to being completely foreign language.

Video shows it's a Honda car, oil OCI of 5K km as per sticker and ATF change interval of 40K km as per sticker and sticker shows oil maker Eneos as well.
This is a sample but AFAIK 5K km OCI is a rule in Japan as well as regular ATF changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back