Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 4.7k mi; 6.0L PSD 215k mi

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Originally Posted by bismic1
I must admit I really want to see the trends ...... lol.

That said, it may just be that the engine is wearing in nicely over time (but I sure would have expected to see that MUCH earlier). Even so, SOMETHING CLEARLY HAPPENED when I started running the Valvoline PBE. It may be oil related or it may not be. If I had any guts, I would run it again. I am not that brave yet, lol.

I posted earlier that I "intermixed" the TDT and ESP results.

Attached is a sequential chart w/ the TDT and ESP identified.

[Linked Image]

I must admit that I "parsed" one ESP data point. My analysis came back with high aluminum (almost double) and iron apprx. 40% higher - no identifiable explanation. On the very next sample, both metals were back to the range of the lowest that I have ever seen. Right or wrong, I have excluded that data point. The iron would have been 8.8 ppm per 1k miles (not bad, but not what was expected). I will run 4-5 more consecutive analyses of ESP to see if the spike repeats itself. As of now, I choose to leave it out.

I think your statement about the engine wearing in nicely over time could be true, but maybe the engine is still wearing in. I think my Cummins didn't finish breaking in until 235k miles. Maybe what you saw with the VPBE was chelation, and would have settled out had you kept using it.

How did you make the determination that your Cummins finished breaking in at 235k? Seems like a lot of miles to me but I'm no engineer. I'm relatively new to the diesel world and have always wondered about how long it takes to break them in. Blackstone mentioned in one of my early uoas (I'm thinking around 14k miles) that my Duramax was already broken in, but had recently said it's maturing nicely (currently at 57k). I thought they would take longer than 14k to truly wear in IMO.

240k miles on engine. 4761 miles on oil. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 Didn't want to go much over a year between oil changes, and just didn't drive much this year - I wonder why .................

4​
Aluminum​
1​
Chromium​
25​
Iron​
1​
Copper​
1​
Lead​
0​
Tin​