Selling my Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SilverGt
I've had my 1984 Mustang for sale for a few months now I finally got a reasonable offer The problem is that the buyer is 2 1/2 hrs away and doesn't want to carry that much cash that far He wants to bring a Bank Check drawn on his money market account Is this safe? Am I being too picky wanting cash only?

if it hasn't been mentioned already, just arrange it so it's during banking hours and meet up at a branch of your bank, and have them verify the check as legit with the bank of origin (bank holding his money market acct).

Seeing what I see day to day at work, I would err in favor of caution on a check or even cash, since lacing the stack of bills with some counterfeits is becoming a thing to look out for as well.

If you know this person and trust them, that is a diff story, but for a random buyer you don't know from adam, verify verify verify the funds.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Remember, over 10K in cash gets reported by the bank. so split if up.

HAHA, didn't think I'd get advice on performing white collar crime on bitog.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I guess the real question is would you have a problem carrying $9000 on a 2 1/2 hr Drive to buy a car you wanted? I would have no problem doing it

Thing is, if you happen to get stopped and searched by a LEO expect that money to disappear forever. Civil asset forfeiture laws being what they are.
What? Come on man, it's the US not a banana republic. Certainly not if you have made a date with a complete stranger to buy their car.

I guess the real question is would you have a problem carrying $9000 on a 2 1/2 hr Drive to buy a car you wanted? I would have no problem doing it

Thing is, if you happen to get stopped and searched by a LEO expect that money to disappear forever. Civil asset forfeiture laws being what they are.

Spot on.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

What? Come on man, it's the US not a banana republic. Certainly not if you have made a date with a complete stranger to buy their car.

Yes, it is. Happens regularly, not even newsworthy anymore. It is banditry under color of law.

I'm not making this up. Sad to say. Google is your friend.

I'm not making this up. Sad to say. Google is your friend.

Maybe cite a quantity of cases that show there is a trend where cash is being seized by law enforcement without corroborating facts that would lead a reasonable person to believe 1. It is fruits of a crime, 2. An instrumentality of a crime. Forfeiture is a legal process and can only be granted by a Court. Limitations to seizure are bound by the 4th amendment.

As far as google being a friend, legend, lore, and hearsay abound throughout cyberspace-- not hard to come across sensationalized stories which have deviated from the truth.

I typically use Facebook money transfer. That way noone has to carry cash, the transfer is instant and fee-free. Just sent someone $1500 the other day with it.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Here's a good one...
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/1/16686014/phillip-parhamovich-civil-forfeiture

Some more bumpkin po-lease departments do act like they are in a 3rd world banana republic. In the US, when travelling with lots of your own money, certain po-lease are the biggest threat because they act more like criminal gangs than anything else. "How ya doin tuhday?" is not a friendly greeting.

This is crazy, never expected something like this to happen here in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back