Help me pick a generator size

With a multi circuit transfer switch, after you have the generator running, you then flip the switch on (or not) for each of the circuits. So you know what loads you are hooking up to the generator. They may not be on when you flip the circuit transfer switch but that seems minor.

If you are powering your whole breaker panel with the generator, you must open your main breaker otherwise you are back feeding the power lines on your street (and all the other houses too, nuff said) which endangers line workers that might be working on the outage. Just want to point some things out for newbies to the generator scene.

Last edited:
Also, opening the main breaker prevents the incoming power surges from the utility when they turn the power back on from frying the computers in your fridge, washing machine, etc.

Originally Posted by spasm3
You must have some deep wells with big pumps. Mine is 150-180ft and i have a 1/2 hp submersed pump. My 4375 unit seems to run it fine.

Basically i have a refrigerator, 1/2 hp well pump, and a think its a 1000watt 110v furnace fan to run. I don't know what the natural gas igniter pulls though. Plus a few led lights.

The hard part is knowing whats on when the power goes out, before you crank up. So i turn off the well pump and the furnace. Get the power on the house, then turn off the extra lights , all the extra loads,the garage refrigerator, and the small wine cooler , before turning the furnace on.

Then i turn on the well pump as needed. I have run the well pump with the furnace, but i prefer not to run them together.

I agree, my well is 150ft, cant remember if my pump is 1/2 or 3/4 hp but my Champion 4000w runs the pump and some lights as long as I don't have other loads going.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Northern Tool has their house brand "powerhouse" that just came out with a 7500 inverter genset. Its quite pricey at 3 grand but about half the price of a similar Honda. I would put money on seeing the same genset in red with the name Predator on it soon at the Harbor.

You'd be better off with a smoke and noise machine to intermittently run wells and other heavy loads and a small inverter to run the fridge/freezer/small window A/C/etc.

I bought a HF 6500/5500 watt gen-set last Sunday. 301 cc Predator. I've got a 1HP jet pump and the usual stuff. I previously used a 5kw Coleman by pulling the main brkr and back feeding 240v through a sub panel in the shop. If I have too many "events' requiring its use, I will have a transfer switch installed. This is my 2nd Predator engine. The 212 cc 99$ has been problem free for 5 seasons. I oiled and gassed it up and it lit on the 2nd pull. Prolly would'a lit first try if I had set the choke. An easy pull for my messed up right arm too.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Fuel management is a PITA. I always keep 15-20 gallons on hand and rotate it through the OPE and vehicles, all with stabilizer. 15-20 gallons is alot of fuel, but when the power is out for 4-5 days it goes fast. I don't need to power a well pump or sump - if it was a sump pump I'd actually get a smaller emergency pump to allow me to stay with the smallest genset needed. For a well setup, I'd consider stowage in the water heater and accumulator tank into my thinking and "IRP" (incident response plan).

Originally Posted by meep
. For a well setup, I'd consider stowage in the water heater and accumulator tank into my thinking and "IRP" (incident response plan).

For sure on that, but I know with my family members who live on well pumps, etc. No power, no toilet. Gotta plan your #2's accordingly. LOL

I couldn't agree more on your fuel management concerns, which is why I always question those with the "bigger is better" suggestions in regards to portable gens.

Originally Posted by JTK
. For a well setup, I'd consider stowage in the water heater and accumulator tank into my thinking and "IRP" (incident response plan).
For sure on that, but I know with my family members who live on well pumps, etc. No power, no toilet. Gotta plan your #2's accordingly. LOLI couldn't agree more on your fuel management concerns, which is why I always question those with the "bigger is better" suggestions in regards to portable gens.
Keep in mind that you can still live in reasonable comfort running the generator only 8 hours per day. Unless you have a sump pump that runs a lot, there is no need to run it while you are sleeping. Four hours per day should be enough to cover refrigeration, especially if you split that up into two x 2-hour runs. I can only recall one outage over the past six years when I had to restart the generator in the morning to ensure enough hot water for everyone to shower. Mind you I have a gas hot water heater that only needs electricity for the ignitor and blower. Same story on the furnace. There's no reason to run a generator while you are off to work either, other than the sump pump issue.

Originally Posted by JTK

For sure on that, but I know with my family members who live on well pumps, etc. No power, no toilet. Gotta plan your #2's accordingly. LOL

I couldn't agree more on your fuel management concerns, which is why I always question those with the "bigger is better" suggestions in regards to portable gens.

You can flush a toilet with a bucket of water. You don't need to fire up the generator to flush the toilet or wash your hands.

I see that northern tool has a new generator. Its a 4500 surge, 3700 watt inverter gen set with 220v!!!!

$799

If i didn't already have the HF 4375, i'd be seriously considering this unit, small 14 hrs at 1/4 load, 220v and its inverter. The only down side I see is the fuel tank is 3.43 gallons, a bit small. It also needs a handle and wheels.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200788693_200788693

Last edited:
That northern tool generator does seem like a decent buy. They just built a NT about 20 miles away too!

Originally Posted by hatt

You can flush a toilet with a bucket of water. You don't need to fire up the generator to flush the toilet or wash your hands.

Can't get a bucket of water without a well pump unless your lucky enough to have a pond, etc nearby.

Originally Posted by JTK

Can't get a bucket of water without a well pump unless your lucky enough to have a pond, etc nearby.

Right, but you don't need to run the pump all the time to do most tasks. Gas goes a long way if you're only running the a bigger gen a few minutes a day.

You can also hand pump water from a well casing with a piece of PVC pipe.

Last edited:

But that's why i bought a generator, so i don't have so rig up something like that.

Originally Posted by JTK

I should have mentioned I have a pond, but as said above, getting a generator would be a reason not to mess with it. Lol.

Plus, we could still get drinking water for us and the dogs.

Originally Posted by spasm3

But that's why i bought a generator, so i don't have so rig up something like that.

No one does. But if one little $.03 part on your gen fails it doesn't hurt to have options.

Just an update, I’m on the books for a propane 16kw Generac.

Talked to a few different people and they pretty much agreed a 10kw would run the essentials minus the electric water heater. No thanks.

For $~1500 more, we stepped it up to a 16kw. Should run everything just fine all electric appliances included.

The AC/ heat pump will have a smart module just in case we are drawing too much though I don’t plan on running it during an outage. (More load, fuel consumption.) The setup will also have an engine oil heater that apparently sits over the oil filter as well as a battery heater. The guy said -10*F or so and she will not start otherwise. I also like how it’ll be automatic so the wifey can be worry free if I’m not home. No dragging a generator out, flipping breakers etc.

OCI’s are 250 hrs or yearly. The winter heater package recommends a the use of a 5w30 synthetic. The purchase “includes” basic maintenance for 3 years.. after that I’ll likely go with a 5w30 A3/B4 or 0w40. I’m assuming they’ll be fine for propane use. 🤷

Just an update, I’m on the books for a propane 16kw Generac.

Talked to a few different people and they pretty much agreed a 10kw would run the essentials minus the electric water heater. No thanks.
Dumb question perhaps, but if you have propane then why not heat water with it too?

Dumb question perhaps, but if you have propane then why not heat water with it too?
Good question. It came with the house.

I’m thinking about going to propane or perhaps a hybrid electric water heater. Mom and dad went from propane to a hybrid. Substantial less propane usage and no real hit in the power bill.

Back