2016 or 17 Honda CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2003 CRV which has been a pretty good car. I have an 09 Impala. We are both in need of a new car.
For reference, we're in southeast Michigan, and I'm a former master mechanic.

We're considering a pair of CRV, probably 2016 or 17, likely certified used.
We've had good service from a couple of dealers nearby, and the CRV seems to have a nice combo of reliability, mileage, handling, comfort, and half way decent acceleration. The 4WD will be welcome in the winter.
I think we can get a good deal by purchasing 2 cars.

I'm aware that some 2016s had an issue with vibration. Also, the CVT gives me pause.
Though the turbo engine has better performance, the naturally aspirated engine is an old reliable work horse, but it isn't the most zippy engine, apparently.
Turbos add another layer of complexity, more stuff to break.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these cars?

Many thanks,
Bob

Yes I have an opinion on these CR-V's.
I like'em and know tons of folks who own'em. And they love'em.

However, if you're concerned about their quirky issues with engine vibration or the CVT or even the fuel dilution issues or their reliability then don't buy'em. Buy something else. Buy RAV4s instead.

The RAV4s aren't perfect either but, statistically, Toyota's are more reliable. Or buy Mazda CX-5's.
This is a very competitive segment and lots to choose from.

I mean hey, look at me, I drive NISSANS. I can't be too worried about the reputation!
laugh.gif

Good luck with your decision,

CB

Last edited:
We have had our '17 CR-V for a little over 2 years and have not had any issues. It's the EX model with all wheel drive.
There was a software recall for direct injection system that was supposed to "fix" the fuel dilution issues.
Other that that, we like it.
It's a little slow off the line but once you get the RPMs up and the turbo kicks in it's got plenty of get up and go.
Rides good, drives good and cruises pretty good on the highway.

CR-V.jpg

A common complaint of 1.5Ts (2017+ EX) in cold climates is they take a long time to heat up. Honda says the engine is "too efficient ".

The oil dilution seems to be largely addressed by software updates.

I drove an'18 EX loaner. It had pep in sport mode but was a cheerful car.

Why a CPO? I always thought it was a waste of money on a Honda or Toyota but worth it on a German brand.

we have '16;

we like its design, space, fuel efficiency, residual value and ergonomics; yet it is far from the perfect car; downsides include that light vibration at the traffic light '15 and '16 models have this, our have a distant rattle around drivers door, whining of CVT is there too but overall it drives nicely. I could solve some of this under the warranty period but we never bother we are not that picky people; meanwhile, we did not put any unexpected money in it, besides front brakes, tires and battery; Our also use some oil between 5k oil changes but I'm watchful on it

would I buy '17, probably not but this '20 model in a heartbeat

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Loogie
My wife has a 2003 CRV which has been a pretty good car. I have an 09 Impala. We are both in need of a new car.

We've had good service from a couple of dealers nearby, and the CRV seems to have a nice combo of reliability, mileage, handling, comfort, and half way decent acceleration. The 4WD will be welcome in the winter.

I'm aware that some 2016s had an issue with vibration. Also, the CVT gives me pause.
Though the turbo engine has better performance, the naturally aspirated engine is an old reliable work horse, but it isn't the most zippy engine, apparently.

Many thanks,
Bob

Turbos are fine, and I'd consider them kinda mainstream, but yeah, they CAN break. CVT's kindof suck, but I also don't really recall seeing any posts about Honda's breaking in these, either, so there's that. The AWD in the new CRV is improved, too.

If you live somewhere where it gets cold though, you could have problems with the 1.5 turbo engine as others have stated.

I do find it odd that some posters are saying the turbo "kicks in". I thought it would be lag-free nowadays. Maybe not with Honda. Everyone else seems to have eliminated lag though, so odd, that. I looked at some dyno charts and the torque is there in a beautiful table-top curve, though.

If it interests you, Honda added their safety feature "suite" to the 2017 models across all trim levels if I'm not mistaken. On the '16, I think you had to get the Touring trim and maybe EX-L. Might be something you'll want to check into if you want those.

2014 model and you can avoid the earth dreams nonsense and get the tried and true K24 minus DI

People love their CR-Vs. There's a reason for it.
I just helped a neighbor get a new EX-L AWD for $29,300 plus T+L, with $1,300 in dealer add ons.

If it is in the budget, there is nothing like new...
Good luck.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
People love their CR-Vs. There's a reason for it.

Amazing, isn't it ?
grin.gif
They probably sell 300,000 of them a year and 99% of buyers don't get hung up on CVTs, the overblown concern with fuel dilution, and so on.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
2014 model and you can avoid the earth dreams nonsense and get the tried and true K24 minus DI

+1

Many thanks,
Bob

Check cargurus.com or one of the similar web sites .

Best of luck to you . :)

I know a few people with 2016s and all have only ever needed oil changes (I don't know every detail but I don't even think any have needed brakes yet).

I know a couple people with the current gen. 2018 and 2019, they like theirs, too, with no issues to report. I rode in a '18 recently on a 150+ mile road trip. Engine noise in the cabin wasn't great but it smacked of quality inside and it rode great.

I just bought a 2016 CR-V EX Tuesday 2/18/2020 from a local Honda dealer. I found it on CarFax it had a clean CarFax with no accidents, was a one owner vehicle, the same dealer initially sold it, and the CarFax showed it had regular oil and filter changes at less than 5K miles each at the same dealer, and that dealer was now selling it. It had 19,778 miles on it, it had a new battery put in it at the dealer in December of 2019, and the dealer had just changed the rear-end fluid, oil and filter, new brake pads and disc on all 4, 4 and new tires.

The 2016 was that last year of that generation. There was a vibration problem with the 2015 year that the steering wheel would vibrate at a certain engine RPM. By the time there was a fix for it many of the 2015 were out of warranty and the owner had to pay for it if they wanted it fixed. The fix was to place rubber mounts on the radiator. I do not know how much work is involved it doing that.

After driving my 2016 EX for a while I noticed that when I was on a straight road that often I was having to hold a little left into the steering wheel. This required enough constant force that it aggravated my already bad upper back that I am currently attending physical therapy for twice a week. I called the Honda dealer (in Wexford) and they scheduled me in for first thing Monday morning.
That was yesterday, they have a very elaborate alignment machine, and the front wheels were within speck, but the toe angle for the back wheels and the thrust angle for the back wheels were slightly off. They adjusted them back into speck and the car rides fine now. The machine measured the thrust angle down to 1/100 of a degree.

They also checked over the vehicle including fluids and battery and washed it. It all took 3 hours, and there was no charge.

The 2016 has the direct injected normally aspirated 2.4 L. The 2017 and up has the 1.5L turbo.

The rear end fluid on these requires changing every 15K to 20K miles. The CVT should be changed every 30K, or 25K if severe service. I consider the hills around Pittsburgh sever.

There are several videos on YouTube about Honda CR-V folding seats. Look at several of them. There are so many ways to fold the seats that you have to look at videos from several makers of videos to get to see all the ways they fold. They are very versatile. When the dealer showed me how to fold the rear seat he did not show me half of what they can do. One video said that Honda calls them magic seats. You can really fold them in many ways to allow space for different items. And you can combine the front and back seats to make long recliners that two people can sleep on.

The EX model has a heated seat including the lumbar section and two heat settings. I have a bad upper back section, and a bad lower lumbar back section. I really like the lumbar heat. Even with a coat on I can feel the hear and it loosens my lower back.

We HATED our 16 CRV EX...noisy on the highway, seats were awful. To be fair Honda seats don't fit me all that well anyway, but these were just BAD. The CVT didn't pull well in reverse when cold, but the dealer said it was normal. Dumped it halfway through the lease and got a used Grand Cherokee. Haven't looked at a Honda since. The '14 Accord that one of the kids drives had had more-than-normal-Honda recalls and warranty/non warranty repairs but it's still chugging along. Prior to these two our Hondas were flawless.

our '16 model runs flawlessly with very supportive yet comfortable seats; currently at 55k miles we did not replace a light bulb on it yet; we just replaced wear and tear parts to this day so our vehicle I consider to be very reliable; I would consider a '20 model too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back