5w-20 vs 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't care about fuel economy, but would like your opinions about when the manual says both 5w-20 and 5w-30 are acceptable. i've always run 5 or 10w-30 in my vehicles. climate is not a concern as i live where it's well-within all of the temp ranges. vehicle is a 2018 santa fe with the 2.4 gdi

I think like you, and also being in Texas, I prefer 5W/30 as well. I run 5W/30 in a Jeep and a RAM that call for 5W/20 but both motors were originally (in years past) spec'd 5w/30 so it is a safe choice for HEMI and Pentastar motors. All my GM's are running 5w/30 as well.

I'd stick with the 30 weight, most would suggest using that in Hyundai GDI engines when permitted to help counter any possible fuel dilution issues.

Interesting quandary - by nature a 5W-20 generally has to consist of better base oils than a 5W-30 has to...but I would choose a 5W-30 since its GDI and you cannot extend the OCI too much for fuel dilution anyway.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
I'd stick with the 30 weight, most would suggest using that in Hyundai GDI engines when permitted to help counter any possible fuel dilution issues.

I've run 5w20 without incident but now use 5w30 in my Soul . For reasons listed by blufeb95.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by joel95ex
i don't care about fuel economy, but would like your opinions about when the manual says both 5w-20 and 5w-30 are acceptable.

5W-30 ... and the manual even gives you that option.

[Linked Image]

I'd consider running 10w30 in it, since it's permissible above 0F , I assume it never gets that cold in Texas

Unless you get below 0f or expect to travel somewhere where you'll be starting really cold, there's no reason why you couldn't run a 10w30. If I lived down south like you do, that's prolly what I'd run year round. QS, Chevron Supreme, Valvoline, Wally's ST.. make great syn, syn blends and dino's in a 10w30. You just need to decide how long you want to push out your drain intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tundraotto
Interesting quandary - by nature a 5W-20 generally has to consist of better base oils than a 5W-30 has to..

Does it ?

how have you determined this ?

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by tundraotto
Interesting quandary - by nature a 5W-20 generally has to consist of better base oils than a 5W-30 has to..

Does it ?

how have you determined this ?

Am I wrong?

I am asking you to provide evidence of your claim...I in't make either a claim, nor a counter, just asking to be educated on your statement of fact...easy peasy...

easy peasy lemon squeezy

I would suggest that most 5W30, 10W30 and 5W20 synthetics are Group III
Sure others exist, but Group III is heavily used in this application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SR5
easy peasy lemon squeezy

I would suggest that most 5W30 and 5W20 synthetics are Group III

Interestingly the full synthetic Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 oil has 25-40 percent Pao in it per the SDS. I found that interesting when I checked up on it.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by SR5
easy peasy lemon squeezy

I would suggest that most 5W30 and 5W20 synthetics are Group III

Interestingly the full synthetic Cam2 Dexos1 Gen 2 oil has 25-40 percent Pao in it per the SDS. I found that interesting when I checked up on it.

Hey BBHero,
Good to see you. Yes PAO is definitely used by some, like M1.
But others like Castrol Magnatec, SuperTech, Mobil Super Synthetic are mostly Group III from my memory.

Absolutely true SR5.... Absolutely true...

I was just surprised to see that Pao in the Cam2 full synthetic... That is similar to Mobil 1 EP...

Always good to see you on here.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Absolutely true SR5.... Absolutely true...

I was just surprised to see that Pao in the Cam2 full synthetic... That is similar to Mobil 1 EP...

Always good to see you on here.

Always good to see you mate

Originally Posted by joel95ex
i don't care about fuel economy, but would like your opinions about when the manual says both 5w-20 and 5w-30 are acceptable. i've always run 5 or 10w-30 in my vehicles. climate is not a concern as i live where it's well-within all of the temp ranges. vehicle is a 2018 santa fe with the 2.4 gdi

OP, if climate is not a concern, then I would keep running a 10W30 synthetic.
Shear stable and low Noack volatility.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
[Linked Image]

I'd consider running 10w30 in it, since it's permissible above 0F , I assume it never gets that cold in Texas

Looks like, at temperatures above 20 F, the manufacturer does not care what oil you use.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back