ams OE 0/20 6100 mi 14 KIA 2.4L GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
been a while since I've done this for my 14 Sportage.
this is one of the engines w/mystery bearing problem. but sofar so good

[Linked Image]

you are throwing away $$$ with Scamsoils overpriced OE oil which is likely almost if not all a group III blend! girlfriends 18 optima 2.4 GDI gets Quaker state ultimate durability synthetic 5 or 10-30 depending on the season as listed in her owners manual, about $20 for 5 Qts @ Wallys!!

Originally Posted by benjy
you are throwing away $$$ with Scamsoils overpriced OE oil which is likely almost if not all a group III blend! girlfriends 18 optima 2.4 GDI gets Quaker state ultimate durability synthetic 5 or 10-30 depending on the season as listed in her owners manual, about $20 for 5 Qts @ Wallys!!

Quite a nice report on Amsoil's low end formula. No axe to grind on my part.

Nevermind the hater(s). If this oil did for you what you need that's all you need. If you don't mind paying a little more for it (assuming you have preferred membership which is just under $6/qt unless you buy a case which is much closer to $5) than that is your decision and even if you don't same applies. I use Amsoil and have never done a VOA or UOA. I have also used Castrol, Mobil, Total and Shell T6. I have also used Subaru oil since it was free for a few oil changes.

With that said, f@#$ everyone else. There are a lot of d0uche$ on this board who think their opinions are worth more than anyone else.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I've got OE 5w30 in my wife's Corolla that I'll be dumping in the next week or two and will get a UOA on it w/TBN. It'll have around 7,500 miles on it, so I'm anxious to see if 7500 miles is about the extent I'm suspecting the OE will be good for.

I don't have a beef with Amsoil choice here. I'm just wondering why 0W20 in that 2014 TGDI Kia 2.4? Doe the thinnest of brews sustain better bearing life?

Originally Posted by Tundra73
Scamsoils

Is this necessary?

At least it's not the thousandth post about his girlfriend's car burning oil.

Originally Posted by csandste
That expensive an oil and the TBN is that low? Wow. Lots of money for a 6k OCI.

This is Amsoil OE, their economy synthetic that is $5 something a quart.
Wear metals are very low, I think a very nice looking UOA!

Originally Posted by cronk
Originally Posted by csandste
That expensive an oil and the TBN is that low? Wow. Lots of money for a 6k OCI.

This is Amsoil OE, their economy synthetic that is $5 something a quart.
Wear metals are very low, I think a very nice looking UOA!

Looks like a fine UOA to me too, no real red flags which is nice considering the problems some of these engines have with the bearings. If the cost of the oil is in your wheelhouse OP, keep running it.

for the record its a NA 2.4 and spends 70% or better of its time at 60+ MPH. problem is terrain
I get the oil by the gallon 2 or 3 cases at a time, that makes it $5 qt to my door.
running it in 2 Hondas and the KIA
the other KIA is done by work and gets whatever the flavor of the month is when its done. that's a 2.0L NA engine.

Judging from the low wear metal, it looks like it's working great!
We have had a few UOA's posted of OE on here, and all the ones I have seen also had very low wear metals.
Seems like for $5 a quart, its a great "sleeper" oil!

I miss the 01 Blazer and the RAV those would do 8K or better and not bat an eyelash.
the new engines beat the snot out of the oil now.
as to the 0/20 I don't believe so but as a matter of convenience for 3 vehicles a 20 grade is a 20 grade as far as I'm concerned. it also states that I "can" use a 30 grade in a pinch if push comes to shove.

The consensus on this board leans to 5W30 SN Plus & Dexos 1 Gen 2 cert + 5K max OCI for your engine.
But if your Blackstone report and nose points you into staying with your current brew and OCI length, then keep on going.

Heck, I may even try a solid 0W20 someday too and let Blackstone comment on it.

Last edited:
You'd be better off using Supertech Synthetic for your application IMO. Amsoil OE is nothing more than any API spec'd oil. Amsoil reduces the additive pack and base oils to produce an average product to meet API SN requirements.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by Tundra73
Scamsoils

Is this necessary?

At least it's not the thousandth post about his girlfriend's car burning oil.

With Scamsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back