Ford....in trouble??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look no further than the Detroit Lions....that's Ford in a nutshell. Build a few flashy cars, focus on the deep ball and neglect the foundational elements that make a difference. Let's not build better cars..well just drop out and hope for next year. Ford has been rolling out eco-crap boxes for years. Fords still look like rental cars and their build quality is laughable.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah, they should have come here for business advice.

lol!
I just wish they would quit being low bid on our work trucks.

Government regulation is a huge expense.

I say deregulation is in order. There should still be safety ratings, braking and enforcing headlight glare. But restricting designs by aerodynamics and MPG need to be abolished.

Also cut out the "tech/luxury" crap. LED taillights look cool, but not on the base model. The base models are too optioned.

It is clear that Ford is not listening to anybody's business advice or else they would not be a $7 stock. Stock has lost 45 percent of its value since last summer.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
The way the corona virus is expanding, it won't just be Ford in deep trouble

True, much of the electronics and many other parts from new production for all car companies come from China.

I give the economy about 6-10 months and then it will be a hard crash.

Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
Good ridence! That's business. Either grow, adapter or fail and Ford has been failing for a long time.

All the big 3 have been building junk for a long time. GM and Chrysler would've gone under 10 years ago if not for the bailouts.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Neither one of the Big 2 is doing all that well.

Do each of these companies affect our economy enough that we as tax payers should not let them fail?

Wow, there's some real HS being spewed by some in this thread.

Ford is putting out some of the most desirable vehicles out there right now. Raptor...Mustang...Super Duty...standard F-150...

Lincoln is making the best lux vehicles by an American OEM.

They've embraced new technologies in ways that others have been afraid to try. Sure, there have been some problems along the way in making EcoBoost ubiquitous. But they're improving them continuously (Gen II).

They were wise to abandon the compact-midsize car market. It's dominated by the Asians, and they've been doing it much better than the Americans have for the last 40 years, anyway. And we do trucks better, for the most part.

The brand-hate and brand bashing gets so old around here from some of y'all.

That is a political question, and political topics cannot be discussed here

Originally Posted by P10crew
Originally Posted by PimTac
Neither one of the Big 2 is doing all that well.

Do each of these companies affect our economy enough that we as tax payers should not let them fail?

That didn't work in 2008.

Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
Look no further than the Detroit Lions....that's Ford in a nutshell. Build a few flashy cars, focus on the deep ball and neglect the foundational elements that make a difference. Let's not build better cars..well just drop out and hope for next year. Ford has been rolling out eco-crap boxes for years. Fords still look like rental cars and their build quality is laughable.

Wouldn't get too excited there...my neighbor just lemon law (ed) a Honda Civic with Tranny issues.

Seems all the companies have issues now......

Originally Posted by wdn
That is a political question, and political topics cannot be discussed here

Yeah it probably could be construed that way.
I don't need a
spankme2.gif

So I'll shut up and just read.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Wow, there's some real HS being spewed by some in this thread.

Ford is putting out some of the most desirable vehicles out there right now. Raptor...Mustang...Super Duty...standard F-150...

Lincoln is making the best lux vehicles by an American OEM.

They've embraced new technologies in ways that others have been afraid to try. Sure, there have been some problems along the way in making EcoBoost ubiquitous. But they're improving them continuously (Gen II).

They were wise to abandon the compact-midsize car market. It's dominated by the Asians, and they've been doing it much better than the Americans have for the last 40 years, anyway. And we do trucks better, for the most part.

The brand-hate and brand bashing gets so old around here from some of y'all.

Considering I have a bunch of Ford engineers in my son's Boy Scout group- I can tell you things are not rosy at Ford. They do have some good stuff, but they are hurting right now....

- they have serious brain drain going...losing folks to the likes of Honda and Kia...

- New Explorer is getting destroyed in reviews right now...after a horrible launch

-What cars? Guessing Ford is good with giving away sales. Killing the Focus and Feista was a no Brainer- cars where nice handling junk anyways. Nut killing the Fusion- bad idea! Sales drop or not-you adjust production, so folks have a choice, not just dropping off the car at the local Honda, Toyota, or Kia dealership for another car.....

Don't get me wrong- I want Ford to do well. But the need to get their heads out of their butts.......

Well Ford is not the only ones in trouble.....
One month ago:
Toyota will reallocate vehicles to different North American factories next year in a bid to make production lines and supply chains more efficient, the automaker said here Friday.

The initiative reflects Toyota's step-by-step move away from plans that were enacted in the dire days of the Great Recession when it needed to keep plants operating and avoid layoffs.

With the new plan, Toyota is taking the gloves off to produce vehicles in pockets of manufacturing efficiency.

Lets see if "pockets" of Corona Virus does this "plan" any good.
wink.gif

I don't follow Ford or GM too much, but I give Ford credit for the Mustang Mach-E; lame name and all...
If I were buying a pickup, it would be a double cab F-150 with one of those sweet V6 10 speed drive trains.
Or a '49 F1 or a '54 F100.

Good luck to a great American car company.

A lemon slipped through. It happens. Toyota didn't halt car production or globally botch the Focus RS like Ford. Good riddance.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Originally Posted by vw7674
If you've got a 'flood of data' emanating from your recently assembled vehicles..... you're doing it wrong.
This company has been begging for correction for more than ten years.
Ceding the entry level market was the worst decision a company that wants to be around in twenty years could make.

So you are saying they should lose money just to stay in the small car business?

I think they should stay in the small car business and make money.
Leave it to them to figure out how. Other OEMs have it figured out and they're not any smarter than the folks at Ford.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Originally Posted by vw7674
If you've got a 'flood of data' emanating from your recently assembled vehicles..... you're doing it wrong.
This company has been begging for correction for more than ten years.
Ceding the entry level market was the worst decision a company that wants to be around in twenty years could make.

So you are saying they should lose money just to stay in the small car business? Look what that did to Nissan. A race to the bottom for low or negative margin sales. Regardless of what you want to think, the car market shrinks every year. Even Honda and Toyota are feeling it. They hyperbole that Ford is brink is asinine. Yet, mostly because Wall Street is infatuated with Tesla for some unknown reason, all you hear is doom and gloom.

Their getting-more-unreliable-with-every-new-design diesel engines / aluminum body idea was also ill advised.
Perhaps you're right, why build a cost-efficient small entry level vehicle?
Because it shows you can scale economy down as well as up. Which Ford cannot.
They won't go broke this year, so it's not a problem yet.
Once fuels spike to $5+/gallon I'm positive their big engine high bhp concept will thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back