Corona Virus and Car Sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed starting this week there are orders for new vehicles to be built and exported to China.

We are supplying parts, and this week vehicles were built for Export to China. Now I am scratching my head, since China car sales are down 92%....

Surely nobody is buying right now, not to mention the trade war which has cooled recently.

So is this "car company" just upping inventory? Or are there actual Chinese millionaires buying/ordering North American luxury built cars right now?

What effect to U.S. auto sales will this virus cause?

No doubt this is the car companies trying to pad their performance numbers. Happens often.

What's odd is that many electronic parts needed among other items are solely coming out of china and no other place can produce them in the numbers required for large scale production. Unfortunately once those parts run out, it's over for the foreseeable future. This isn't just going to affect the auto industry, but every industry from A to Z.
It's going to get very bad for business not too long from now. I think the economy is going to crash hard globally.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Most of the Chinese assembly plants are shut down.

Yes and even though some officials have claimed that they will return to work soon it isn't going to happen.
This event is going to be the most defining in modern history.

Corona virus is 24 cans in less than a night
lol.gif

I'm kinda worried about this virus myself. I'm dealing with staphylococcus infection right now. Might have to have IV for Vancomyacin if I dont get well soon.Comprised immune system and now I have to worry about something else. Read at Dr office that there are concerns about it affecting everything.Not good.

I'm in need of a car and I'm holding off, just in case the economy takes a downturn. I don't want to be unemployed with car payments. Nor do I want to pay top dollar for a car that might be less expensive in a down economy.

some random thoughts. i was in several asian countries during sars, mers and h1n1, just now visiting indonesia from usa. as serious as it is in china, the corona virus is not an earth-shaking medical worry or economic disruptor in tropical southeast asia...yet: hot weather that apparently kills the virus, harder to detect with lack of corona specific testing kits and plenty of other virus on the scene, lots of everyday illnesses here that foster stronger immune systems and kill off vulnerable sectors of populations, quick blanket bans on flights and travelers to and from china. i see corona disrupting travel and supply chains, leading to a strategically much-needed investment diversification away from sole source, communist-governed china. if i were a discretionary car shopper now i would hold off 1-2 months for some cheaper deals and regularly wipe down the touched parts of every car that i drive. despite, or probably because of, some navy experience, i've never been on a cruise ship and certainly never will for sure in the future.

and now it hit Daegu, South Korea would also be hit as well, (and Toyota also got hit as Japan has a lot of cases) so the overall supplies in Asia are down.

if supplies are down, and demand is still alive, it means higher, not lower auto prices within a few months

Originally Posted by PandaBear

and now it hit Daegu, South Korea would also be hit as well, (and Toyota also got hit as Japan has a lot of cases) so the overall supplies in Asia are down.

I have a good from from SK who I keep in touch with quite regularly who said it's decimating their economy. Nobody wants to go out and risk getting sick. People are wearing masks. If nobody wants to go out, they probably aren't working either.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by PandaBear

I have a good from from SK who I keep in touch with quite regularly who said it's decimating their economy. Nobody wants to go out and risk getting sick. People are wearing masks. If nobody wants to go out, they probably aren't working either.

Sounds like an excellent negotiation opportunity regarding pay
smile.gif

I'll be more interested in what happens to Chinese exports and from other countries that get hit heavily by this- "they" say Coronavirus can live for several days or longer outside of the human body.

This means for fast-moving exports, they get made in China, sneezed on or a snot drip full of Covid-19 while being put together, shipped out somewhere, and opened by an unsuspecting person who now picks up the virus from manufactured goods.

While that's certainly possible, I think to a certain extent this is just the latest cause celebre... it appears the mortality rate is similar to "regular" flu, but more transmissible. Use good hygiene- wash your hands often, don't rub your face or eyes, don't shake hands, and you should be as good as can be expected. Once warmer air pushes in, the virus will be less viable and the panic (and infections) should subside.

I have been following this , a tiny bit . The info seems to be very inconsistent . Of course all info from the Chi-Com party is suspect .

Then there is the way the media hypes everything , to increase ratings / profits .

All of this may have played itself out , before we , common folks , get anything close to the real / true story . If ever ?

Remember , the Chi-Coms are NOT our friends . Adversaries at best , enemies at worst .

When were these orders placed for vehicle build?... before COVID-19 hit China?

I don't understand this "warm weather kills the virus" statement. This is the first time I've heard it worded this way. They make it sound like this effect is unique to the virus. How is this different from "flu season?"

The number of cases being reported in China is on the decline. What worries the experts are the hot spots created recently.

Viruses do have a pattern. They flare and then die out.

The number of cases being reported in China is on the decline. What worries the experts are the hot spots created recently.

Viruses do have a pattern. They flare and then die out.

Yesterday the virus seemed to be alive and well in South Korea.

The first case of unknown origin in the US showed up in Sacramento. Big concerns.
Even if the virus doesn't breakout, preventative measures are having a major impact. All the new manufacturing processes with just in time parts inventory are going to be impacted in a major way. Attitudes are also changing. People are realizing the market can go another way other than up.

One of the big industries in SK is shipbuilding and that's slowed down. A number of expensive drillships and other specialty vessels were never completed or sold. Oil & gas prices suppress major construction and they are builders of one of a kind container ships and huge car haulers, LNG/oil tankers … you name it. It's all connected.

My employer just sent out a company wide email ten minutes ago about this virus and some of the required "back to work" process & procedures if returning from travel. I guess the virus is more serious than I thought.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
My employer just sent out a company wide email ten minutes ago about this virus and some of the required "back to work" process & procedures if returning from travel. I guess the virus is more serious than I thought.

Sounds like your company is on top of things. Good companies plan. Others react.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back