Any Exotic Brand Dealership Mechanics Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have any members who are wrenches at dealerships for exotic or unusual brand vehicles?

Specifically, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, Aston Martin... Anything out of the mainstream, I guess.

Just wondering what your experience has been like, and what your journey to get to that point was like.

I'm assuming it's a good gig with good pay, good benefits, and probably better people to work with than at your run-of-the-mill, Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. dealership service dept.

Did you start at a more common make dealership and then apply and get accepted at one of these exotic car dealerships?

Are there apprentice programs?

Is the pay structure the same as any other dealership?

I imagine there have to be some differences, due to the fact that some of these exotics cane be worth beaucoups $$$. And people with these high-dollar cars are going to be more educated, demanding, informed customers, and they are going to want someone with experience performing these repairs. For example, let's say I'm rich and I own a 1976 Porsche 911 Turbo. Worth a lot of money, right? I'm rich, so I want to take it to the dealership, because I feel that they will know this car best. So who's going to do my engine rebuild? I'm gonna make sure whoever does it has done this job MANY times before.

Just asking out of curiosity, I guess. I'm a Lead Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic for a leading manufacturer of regional commercial airliners at their heavy maintenance and overhaul facility. I love airplanes, I like my job, but I also have a passion for cool cars. I don't think I'd be interested in working for one of the average car dealership service departments I listed above. But I might entertain going to work as a mech for a cool make like Porsche. Depending, of course, on compensation, work environment, etc.

I have so many questions!

There is a Facebook Group for European Techs. There are a few exotic techs in that group - you should probably post your question there.

I work with a guy who fresh out of high school went to a tech school under an apprentice program sponsored by Mercedes. He moved cross country to do it, too. He's a good mechanic, but got out of the dealer business. He didn't necessarily want to work for Mercedes, but they at the time had the best offer.

My brother owned "Comprehensive Mechanics" in Santa Cruz, CA.
The smaller shop next door was owned by Bill (forgot his last name); he was the only exotics mechanic in the area.
I remember one time he was testing a Lambo and another city driver scratched it, really briefly.
You have never heard such language...
You had to stay away from the cars in his shop.

Last time I saw Bill he was working for a Ferrari shop in Campbell, near me.

I've wondered the same thing.

How do mechanics for exotic cars get their training ?

Big difference between a Honda dealership mechanic and a Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, Aston Martin mechanic.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
And people with these high-dollar cars are going to be more educated, demanding, informed customers....

That's not an assumption that I would make. The only thing I'd say for certain about these owners is .... they have money.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
let's say I'm rich and I own a 1976 Porsche 911 Turbo. Worth a lot of money, right? I'm rich, so I want to take it to the dealership, because I feel that they will know this car best. So who's going to do my engine rebuild? I'm gonna make sure whoever does it has done this job MANY times before.
For a car that age, owners will be going to a Porsche (or German auto) specialty shop, not a dealer. Think about it, there's a real good chance that many or most of the techs weren't even born when that car was made. Dealerships really stick to new and/or newer vehicles for their work (and up to ~10 years old, give or take).

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

I'm sure it's no different. There will be factory training programs. Doesn't mean you'll go to Italy, Germany, etc to the factory, just trained by factory-based reps.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I've wondered the same thing.

Big difference between a Honda dealership mechanic and a Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, Aston Martin mechanic.

Manufacturer training like all dealership techs.

Not much difference really, Tasks may take longer/call for more time than a Honda, But ALL vehicles are just Nuts, Bolts, Wiring, Modules, etc etc. A long time friend works for Autobahn Porsche & another works for Autobahn Land Rover.....Other than the really nice facility & equipment, It's comparable to other dealer mechanic positions. Where one CAN make good money is on customer pay work! The Land Rover tech makes GOOD money because they are always broken, But he works his tail off!

An interesting topic. Techs for the Ford GT had to have specialized training and nobody else could touch the car.
I've taken out new police cruisers for the initial test ride before they were delivered to the force. The thought came in my mind what I would do if I came up upon an emergency or gunfire.
Imagine taking a GT out, somebody else's GT mind you, and having to worry about vehicle damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back