Sams Club gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twice now I've gotten 87 octane yuck fuel from Walmart. There won't ever be a third time. Wife's brand new 2019 Charger 3.6 is the car in question. It runs fine on anything else but "never again" Walmart.

The only additive I recall that claims to meet a specific engine cleanliness requirement is from BMW. Red Line had a single bottle additive they claimed was equivalent in performance.

Renewable Lubricants advertises their Bio-Plus to meet the BMW standards. Company wise, they have a good rep so I see no reason to think that statement isn't true. I've used it and their diesel fuel products off and on for years.

"This cost effective product meets the BMW criteria for lifetime intake valve deposit control with continuous use and is recommended for use in all grades of gasoline including gasoline containing oxygenates."

http://renewablelube.com/store/fuel -conditioners?product_id=57

This thread proves that Top Tier is complete marketing BS.

The base gas is all the same. The additives are all the same, just made by different companies. The only variable here is the quantity of additives injected. This is controlled at the loading terminal, by the PURCHASER, i.e. BP, Mobil, Chevron, etc.

For all you know, Chevron may have the contract to supply Sam's Club with gas, or it may be Shell, or BP, who knows. It's just another gas station to them, and they got the contract!

In fact y_p_w in an earlier post claiming that Top Tier was not a myth, confirmed that it was just a marketing ploy, since the additives could not be ADVERTISED as Top Tier.

And NO, water will not mix with gasoline! It will with ETHANOL of course. Mix a little water into an 87 octane tank and drop the alcohol out, guess what remains? 82 octane regular. That's because the alcohol is like 160 octane! 10% boosts the octane a BUNCH.

Originally Posted by JohnG

The base gas is all the same. The additives are all the same, just made by different companies. The only variable here is the quantity of additives injected. This is controlled at the loading terminal, by the PURCHASER, i.e. BP, Mobil, Chevron, etc.

For all you know, Chevron may have the contract to supply Sam's Club with gas, or it may be Shell, or BP, who knows. It's just another gas station to them, and they got the contract!

In fact y_p_w in an earlier post claiming that Top Tier was not a myth, confirmed that it was just a marketing ploy, since the additives could not be ADVERTISED as Top Tier.

And NO, water will not mix with gasoline! It will with ETHANOL of course. Mix a little water into an 87 octane tank and drop the alcohol out, guess what remains? 82 octane regular. That's because the alcohol is like 160 octane! 10% boosts the octane a BUNCH.

Not really. Top Tier requires a specific minimum treatment rate and only applies to pump fuel. If it were just marketing fluff, then the automakers wouldn't be on board.

Also the quantity may not be it either. It's about total efficacy. Some additives have problems in that they leave certain deposits in higher quantities. Simply upping the quantity to 3x the EPA minimum isn't guaranteed to meet the Top Tier testing requirements.

That being said, I wouldn't spend $1 more per gallon for it. I go to Costco to buy what's consistently the cheapest gasoline in almost any area. No fuel marketer really needs to charge a ridiculous premium when the type of additive and the marketing costs to Top Tier are a tiny amount of price of the fuel.

Originally Posted by JohnG

Your own post proves top tier isn't BS. Go back and read it.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

Other than the additives, what's different?

Guys. Please read again my post. I'm driving a ZL1 650 hp 650 tq

I drive it hard. The highest octane in western Colorado is 91. Just trying to get the best performance.....

Op that's why I ask the question about compression ratio.

I would research what fuel options that you have.
I would run the fuel that has enough octane to not hit the knock sensors and has the best lubricity package available. You have a jem there and I would protect it as best you can. Keep the tank full to the brim when in storage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt

The additives can make the difference between an engine that stays relatively clean vs one that's optimally clean. But it's something that matters long term and not that one should be able to tell in one tank.

Originally Posted by dbvettez061

I drive it hard. The highest octane in western Colorado is 91. Just trying to get the best performance.....

I wouldn't worry about it. For the most part it's a commodity fuel and the performance is dependent on octane rating more than anything else. There are differences in fuel, but I understand it's not something where the refinery can say "We need to make better fuel." I understand the composition of the crude oil source may make a difference, and a refinery may not be able to specify what they get.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

The additives can make the difference between an engine that stays relatively clean vs one that's optimally clean. But it's something that matters long term and not that one should be able to tell in one tank.

And this^

I dont know if I would step up to Shell for that much more, but I might go 30-40 cents more to get a name brand if at all possible, BP, Sunoco, etc. Especially if its low mile usage. With my M cars I usually throw 20-25$ at it instead of filling so theres always new stuff going through. Some stations just price gouge and get the oblivious people who just stop anywhere. It blows my mind when I see people pulling into this one Sunoco on Rt 46, over 3$ for regular!!

You didn't mention what you are using now (brand) and how it runs on said gas. If you do try Shell you may have to run a couple tanks thru before you see any difference if there is any.

Sometimes you have to 'pay to play' as they say.

And the BEST additive in your opinion would be?

And the BEST additive in your opinion would be?

I don't really believe there is one best one. It's generally a matter of the concentration, although just upping the concentration won't necessarily make it better without testing. I usually go to Costco, and they're quite upfront that their additive is Lubrizol 9888, which was custom developed for Costco. I'm OK using Shell, Chevron, Exxon/Mobil, or any brand from Phillips 66. But if there's nothing else or it costs too much, I'll use any generic, supermarket, etc. gas station if it's just one tank.

Had a Sams membership for about 5 years,but now that wife and I are both retired empty nesters and the 4 kids are grown and graduated we no longer need a Sam's membership and big quanities of groceries. But we ran Sam's club gasoline for several years mainly because it was convienient as we only live maybe 6-7 blocks from a Sams in Lincoln NE and because it was ussually among the top 2-3 cheapest places in town for gas. Usually 1st and 2nd place bounces back and forth between Sams,Costco . Gas buddy Lincoln Ne just showed price at Sams at $2.17, Costco at $2.17 and Sinclaire at $2.29. never had a Costco membership and Costco is several miles away so I would not drive there just to save a couple cents on gas. Never had any issues in our vehicles with using Sam's Club Gasoline.

Whether or not it is top tier makes no difference to me. I look for the cheapest gas and now have been using mostly Hy Vee since we non longer are Sam's members and it is close and I like their coffee. Of course, nice to be retired and not part of the daily rat race and commute anymore. We dont have to drive much anymore, so we dont have to spend a whole lot on gas these days. It's like giving yourself a raise not filling up every few days to commute to work, we probably only put on about 5K per year on each vehicle nowdays. Nothing wrong with Sam's club gasoline, it's gasoline, might not be top tier but people can ad a bottle of Techtron if it makes them sleep better.

Gasoline is gasoline. Top Tier vs non Top Tier. I have never notice a performance gain, drivability difference or MPG difference between any brand of gasoline. It is all marketing by big oil to increase profits IMO.

dadto2 said:
"The base gas is all a generic commodity. Various refineries pump it into the pipeline, the pipeline dumps it at the tank farm, trucks load at the tank farm... The branded additives are mixed as the trucks are loaded. Walmart base gas is the same as Shell, Mobil, Sunoco, Marathon, Tesoro, or whatever you have in your local market. The additives are the only difference."

Yep. I've seen it with my own eyes. Same refinery. The Chevron delivery truck pauses at a tank and takes on a few extra gallons of detergent. No-name regional just heads for the gate.

No way would I pay that kind of premium. A nickel, or maybe 7 cents per gallon tops.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jimbrewer
dadto2 said:
"The base gas is all a generic commodity. Various refineries pump it into the pipeline, the pipeline dumps it at the tank farm, trucks load at the tank farm... The branded additives are mixed as the trucks are loaded. Walmart base gas is the same as Shell, Mobil, Sunoco, Marathon, Tesoro, or whatever you have in your local market. The additives are the only difference."

Yep. I've seen it with my own eyes. Same refinery. The Chevron delivery truck pauses at a tank and takes on a few extra gallons of detergent. No-name regional just heads for the gate.

No way would I pay that kind of premium. A nickel, or maybe 7 cents per gallon tops.

The way I understand it, most of that is automated these days. All the piping to meter the "branded" additives are already installed at the racks. Also - the detergent is supposed to be added first in order to "splash blend" via the mechanical action of the fuel sloshing in the tank.

However, in certain areas there are just so many different fuel depots and different sources. In the Los Angeles area there are tons of fuel depots. It may be intermixed to the point where it's impossible to say where the fuel comes from. I keep on hearing people talking about Shell, but they don't have a single refinery any more that make California reformulated gas. Shell stations obviously get their fuel from some other source now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back