Anyone Used a Sea Sucker Bike Rack/Mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your Bike worth? How much faith do you have in the suction? Hitch rack that sits the bike on its tires would be my recommendation for most vehicles. $18k worth of bikes deserve their own truck in our family.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jcartwright99
I was thinking about buying one of these because of the reviews. The size and relative ease of use (putting on and removing) is very appealing. A little worried about my 33 pound mountain bike being on there. Anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike

Is your front wheel a thru-axle? If so, it's not that compatible with the Quick Release axle mount. You'll have to get a Quick Release to Thru Axle adapter also.

Then you still need to stow the dirty wheel inside your car. Might as well fold down the seats and throw the entire bike inside the car (if it fits)

Originally Posted by tcp71
What is your Bike worth? How much faith do you have in the suction? Hitch rack that sits the bike on its tires would be my recommendation for most vehicles. $18k worth of bikes deserve their own truck in our family.

[Linked Image]

2k. You gonna buy me a truck?

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
I was thinking about buying one of these because of the reviews. The size and relative ease of use (putting on and removing) is very appealing. A little worried about my 33 pound mountain bike being on there. Anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike

Is your front wheel a thru-axle? If so, it's not that compatible with the Quick Release axle mount. You'll have to get a Quick Release to Thru Axle adapter also.

Then you still need to stow the dirty wheel inside your car. Might as well fold down the seats and throw the entire bike inside the car (if it fits)

No, my front wheel is not through axle so it should work. I can easily put a wheel in my husky lined car trunk.

I haven't used one personally, but know a few folks who have them. They absolutely work as advertised, and if you don't have roof rails to attach a rack, I think this is far preferable to those clips that go inside the door.

That said, I'd look at getting a hitch installed. It's easier on the car and the bike (not a huge fan of the torque put on the fork dropouts with a roof rack, even with a thru axle). Fuel economy and wind noise are better, loading is easier... It's just a better way to go, IMO. Unless I need to carry 6 bikes, I'm not putting bikes on the roof anymore.

Originally Posted by JOD
I haven't used one personally, but know a few folks who have them. They absolutely work as advertised, and if you don't have roof rails to attach a rack, I think this is far preferable to those clips that go inside the door.

That said, I'd look at getting a hitch installed. It's easier on the car and the bike (not a huge fan of the torque put on the fork dropouts with a roof rack, even with a thru axle). Fuel economy and wind noise are better, loading is easier... It's just a better way to go, IMO. Unless I need to carry 6 bikes, I'm not putting bikes on the roof anymore.

Good to hear that they work. For me, I drive a sedan. I have no interest in get a hitch put on my car, just so I can buy a hitch rack. I have one bike and few if any trunk racks fit my car. This seemed like a reasonable option and much more affordable than clip mounted rack system.

I've seen them on Porsches and Teslas around here - but the idea of anything resting on a pane of glass scares me.

just curious, what's your aversion to a hitch? Not sure what vehicle you have, but most are pretty unobtrusive, easy to install and inexpensive. The low load height on a platform-style rack (one that holds the bikes by the wheels) makes loading really easy.

Originally Posted by JOD
just curious, what's your aversion to a hitch? Not sure what vehicle you have, but most are pretty unobtrusive, easy to install and inexpensive. The low load height on a platform-style rack (one that holds the bikes by the wheels) makes loading really easy.

Let's see. Add's weight. Costs extra. Not designed for it so it mucks up the design of the rear. I have a 2017 Ford Fusion. Not a sports car or luxury car but it's a nice car. I just don't see the value of adding a hitch for roughly 300 only to spend another 300 for attachment. Sea sucker is small to store and only 300.

Originally Posted by JOD

Let's see. Add's weight. Costs extra. Not designed for it so it mucks up the design of the rear. I have a 2017 Ford Fusion. Not a sports car or luxury car but it's a nice car. I just don't see the value of adding a hitch for roughly 300 only to spend another 300 for attachment. Sea sucker is small to store and only 300.

A hitch isn't hard to install on those - per the Curt(which is also U-Haul and Draw-Tite) documentation for that car it uses T-nuts through existing holes for mounting. U-Haul charges $40 for the install and $180 for the hitch.

From my experiences with a an aftermarket Yakima roof rack, I wouldn't wish it on anyone unless your car has stock side rails for a rack tower to mount onto or factory crossbars. Hitch racks or a truck are the way to go with bikes.

Originally Posted by JOD

The Curt hitch is a little over $100 bucks. You can see what it looks like in these photos--it's pretty hidden (you can even cut the chain loop off, which I've done before): https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Fusion/2017/C12091.html?VehicleID=20178806

Installation looks pretty simple if you have ramps or jackstands. Yes, it adds a small amount of weight, but you won't have the fuel economy hit when driving with a bike on the roof, nor will you have the wind noise. The bike is also a lot more protected during transport.

You can get a solid platform-style rack for $120: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64650.html

I've had a hitch on my last 4 cars, and I'm putting one on my Golf R. The little square hanging off the back just doesn't bother me. And it's reversible--can always be unbolted. I've dealt with roof racks for a long time, and this is just such a better option, imo.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by JOD

The Curt hitch is a little over $100 bucks. You can see what it looks like in these photos--it's pretty hidden (you can even cut the chain loop off, which I've done before): https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Fusion/2017/C12091.html?VehicleID=20178806

Installation looks pretty simple if you have ramps or jackstands. Yes, it adds a small amount of weight, but you won't have the fuel economy hit when driving with a bike on the roof, nor will you have the wind noise. The bike is also a lot more protected during transport.

You can get a solid platform-style rack for $120: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64650.html

I've had a hitch on my last 4 cars, and I'm putting one on my Golf R. The little square hanging off the back just doesn't bother me. And it's reversible--can always be unbolted. I've dealt with roof racks for a long time, and this is just such a better option, imo.

It's not a simple unbolting, you have to remove the bumper cover, then the bumper rebar to remove the hitch. With a car that low from the factory, you'll be hearing scraping sounds if there is a inclined entrance ramp or driveway, since my old Passat with a hitch, the platform rack was always dragging.

The basic Swagman rack, well, it's a basic rack... if you want to access the hatch with a bike on it, you have to remove the bike and fold the arm down, not that convenient. So yes, you can spend more to get a platform rack that tilts down to access the hatch, and not contact the frame at all. Some people don't like racks that need to hold the bike at its frame.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
JOD said:
It's not a simple unbolting, you have to remove the bumper cover, then the bumper rebar to remove the hitch. With a car that low from the factory, you'll be hearing scraping sounds if there is a inclined entrance ramp or driveway, since my old Passat with a hitch, the platform rack was always dragging.

The basic Swagman rack, well, it's a basic rack... if you want to access the hatch with a bike on it, you have to remove the bike and fold the arm down, not that convenient. So yes, you can spend more to get a platform rack that tilts down to access the hatch, and not contact the frame at all. Some people don't like racks that need to hold the bike at its frame.

There's a video of the Fusion install linked above--there's no unbolting required? It doesn't really look that low, either. If you're talking about my R (or most VW's), then yes--the bumper cover has to come off. I'm doing that this weekend.

And yes, if you want a more convenient rack, you have to pay more. I have a Kuat Sherpa, which I love. Not sure of the retail price on it, but yeah, I don't think it's cheap. It only touches the wheels, and hatch access is easy.

All of my bikes now use thru axles (road and mountain), which makes roof racks even more of a pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back