Valve Train Pictures - 2014 Chevy Cruze 1.4T 150,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
The valve cover gasket was leaking. Figured I would take these pictures for your viewing enjoyment. The engine has 150,000 miles. I bought the car at 100,000 miles, previously owned by a mechanic who's wife put 100,000 miles on the car in 18 months (regional sales manager) oil change interval unknown. Have used 10w-30 HDEO (SN rated) in the spring/summer/fall and 0w-30 in the winter. I don't change based on miles, instead I change on season. The summer HDEO may run 10,000 miles or more and the winter 0w-30 usually gets about 8,000 miles.

cruze1.jpg

cruze2.jpg

cruze3.jpg

cruze4.jpg

off-topic, but the PCV inside of the valve cover commonly fails due to the intake manifold missing the check valve. Make sure the intake manifold check valve has not disappeared or else you will be doing the job again....and replacing the entire cover.

Originally Posted by The Critic
off-topic, but the PCV inside of the valve cover commonly fails due to the intake manifold missing the check valve. Make sure the intake manifold check valve has not disappeared or else you will be doing the job again....and replacing the entire cover.

Yes, also being replaced.

Originally Posted by The Critic

That was my lingering bad memory from my Encore. PCV problems making my dash light up like a Christmas tree.

Last edited:
Daaayuuuum, that looks good. Good omen for the 1.5 in our Terrain. Evolution of the same engine.

Looks great! Thanks for taking the time to post up the pics.

These 1.4T seem to be nice little engines.

Is the gasket integrated into the cam cover or is it an RTV type?

Any sign of the head ever being removed? Asking because many of these 1.4's have had overheat issues and that head looks as if its never been overheated, which is good. It actually gooks great,

Some of these "failures" are past the recommended valve cover change interval. We changed ours per OM along with some of the plastic tubing to be on the safe side.
Also proactively changed plastic inlets while at it knowing those will leak eventually
Pretty cheap and easy but not well understood

Originally Posted by JTK
Looks great! Thanks for taking the time to post up the pics.

These 1.4T seem to be nice little engines.

Is the gasket integrated into the cam cover or is it an RTV type?

It's integrated into the valve cover.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Any sign of the head ever being removed? Asking because many of these 1.4's have had overheat issues and that head looks as if its never been overheated, which is good. It actually gooks great,

No evidence it was ever removed.

a lot of miles in not a long time is easier on oils + did i miss what you were using!

I drove one of these as a body shop loaner..drove it to my other home 250mi. checked the oil, no reason to suspect just checked it when I arrived...it was pitch black and a viscosity like peanut butter absolute worst I've seen, called the shop and offered to have it changed immediately he declined, said he went by the OLM, if that's the case there was big trouble somewhere. The Chevy did make it back, I would have bet otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back