Sync Update 2016 Cmax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need info about Sync update for my wifes 2016 Cmax. The GPS navagation is now wonky. The radio is also. She likes Sirius. It is now wonky eventhough she is subscribed to it. FM tuning is wonky also.

Will the Sync Update take care of the radio and Bluetooth, etc?

She gets notice to update Sync on the dashboard screen. She also got an email: From: Ford SYNC Navigation Yeah I know that could be a fishing expedition. Will check it out.

Costs $109 download or $149 USB stick shipped to our house. $109 download is a rip. $149 for USB stick w/update is a total rip off, probably safest alternative. No room for them to blame our internet, computer, my loading my own usb stick from the download. Those guys give themselves a lot of wiggle room.

I am guessing the Sync update will take care of the radio, Bluetooth paring etc. What else does Sync control behind closed doors?

I am going to see how much the dealer will want to take care of it as well.

My 2013 Fiesta has sync as well. Never had to update it. I only use it for bluetooth paring my OBDLink device. I never use Sirius radio, don't subscribe. The Fiesta never had navagation on it's screen. LOL I have always had to correct the navigation on the Cmax - no I do not want to go the round about way!

I prefer not to use anything Microsoft. I am very happy using Linux. There are distributions now that are extremely easy to use for the non nerds among us. LinuxMint for one. I like Apple devices, but Apple is just behind Microsoft in the line. Good hardware and OS, but you have to keep paying the Apple tax, and then perfectly good hardware won't run the next OS version. Then you have to buy replacements for the applications you have been using. I could go on...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to do this on my escape.
It has the base sync system.

You can download the files from Ford and put them on a USB stick, then update the system yourself from the stick.

You need to notify ford via the my ford portal that you updated the software and it works fine.

There is no charge for the escape, from what I've seen.

looks like the one that costs is a navigation update.

not sure how a paid maps update would fix anything.

you want the sync software update?

not sure exactly how it works on ford but for jeep

you have uconnect updates(free) and uconnect navigation updates (costs $$$)

I updated the Sync system in my Expedition via WIFI. I had to leave it parked in the garage with the key on for an afternoon, but it eventually downloaded and installed the updates.

See if yours has the ability to connect to a WIFI network and check for updates.

Originally Posted by borgward
Need info about Sync update for my wifes 2016 Cmax. The GPS navagation is now wonky. The radio is also. She likes Sirius. It is now wonky eventhough she is subscribed to it. FM tuning is wonky also.

Will the Sync Update take care of the radio and Bluetooth, etc?

She gets notice to update Sync on the dashboard screen. She also got an email: From: Ford SYNC Navigation Yeah I know that could be a fishing expedition. Will check it out.

Costs $109 download or $149 USB stick shipped to our house. $109 download is a rip. $149 for USB stick w/update is a total rip off, probably safest alternative. No room for them to blame our internet, computer, my loading my own usb stick from the download. Those guys give themselves a lot of wiggle room.

I am guessing the Sync update will take care of the radio, Bluetooth paring etc. What else does Sync control behind closed doors?

I am going to see how much the dealer will want to take care of it as well.

My 2013 Fiesta has sync as well. Never had to update it. I only use it for bluetooth paring my OBDLink device. I never use Sirius radio, don't subscribe. The Fiesta never had navagation on it's screen. LOL I have always had to correct the navigation on the Cmax - no I do not want to go the round about way!

I prefer not to use anything Microsoft. I am very happy using Linux. There are distributions now that are extremely easy to use for the non nerds among us. LinuxMint for one. I like Apple devices, but Apple is just behind Microsoft in the line. Good hardware and OS, but you have to keep paying the Apple tax, and then perfectly good hardware won't run the next OS version. Then you have to buy replacements for the applications you have been using. I could go on...

2016... should have sync 3 right? as other said, you should be able to connect it to your home Wifi and download updates that way. there are no updates for Sync 2/MyFordTouch anymore

when i bought My 13 Cmax(Still has MFT) last year, the first thing i did was order a new Nav card(it's on an SD card for MFT). My uncle had just come to me to get one for his 13 MKS. from ford, over $100. the real Deal on Ebay? ~$34... I'm assuming pulled from wrecks...

my nav goes a bit wonky from time to time, thinking i'm about a hundred yards or so left or right of where i am... it's a Software issue. the way their system is programmed it doesn't always pull your location from the GPS, it often uses a Last known position, and the speed and direction of the vehicle and uses "dead reckoning" to plot your position... it has issues (also why I still have a Tomtom.)... Not sure if Sync 3 uses the same/similar programming

not Liking MS, you'll be happy to know that with Sync3, Ford abandoned the prior Win CE based software, and went with QNX (by Blackberry)

your Fiesta, or anything without the MFT/ or Sync3 Big nav Screen(even if nav isn't enabled) still get the Original Sync System.

So, if I download at home I just download directly to the CMax?

I do 2 upgrade downloads one for navagation $ and one for the other sync features (Free)

The navagation upgrade only upgrades the navagation - It does not upgrade the other Sync features?

The free upgrade will take care of the radio and Sirius wonkiness?

Try a factory reset and then update just the Sync software via wifi. Once the Sync update is complete perform another factory reset. Updating the navigation maps is very pricey.

Factory reset? What's that? How to do?

My wife has an extremely bad sense of direction, so money must be spent for navigation. I don't need it. I know how to read a map and plot a route. I have a collection of maps. There are places where navigation just won't work. One of these days when the Internet goes down I will still be able to get somewhere.

Do I need to do the Sync software before I do the navigation upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back